KEF LS50 vs B&W 706-S2 - Rare chance to compare

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Tharbamar on YouTube has recent changed his beloved LS50 for a pair of B&W 706-S2 and has created a Demo of the two speakers. Both sound fantastic, but I think the 706 have a bit more detail. Very close call though. You can decide for yourself, but remember that YouTube videos favor Mid/High.

Again, both speakers sound good, but I think I agree on fine detail, the 706 come out ahead.

LS50 = £800/pr -

B&W 706-S2 = £1100/pr -

You can tell which speaker is playing by watching the Speaker Cables. The first half is the LS50, the second half is the B&W 706. Listen especially to the drum snaps, very crisp and detailed. Both are amazing speakers, the LS50 are about $300 cheaper per pair, but the B&W 706 are pretty amazing.

I would have loved to have heard the B&W 705-S2 with the Outboard Tweeter, but we take what we can where we find it.

B&W 705-S2 = £1800/pr -

Just thought some here might like to hear the comparison.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

TB Rich

I’ll keep my opinions on YouTube sound videos to myself.., but I can say that in person the 707S2 I heard were without question not just bright, but actually harsh on the top end. A YouTube video for a myriad of reasons really won’t portray this.
I listened also that day to the 702S2 and whilst they reigned in the harshness to a just tolerable level, they we’re still bright and perhaps even thin sounding somewhat because of it. A good speaker but outclassed on the day.

I wanted to be but am just not a fan of the 700S2 range, not heard LS50’s but I bet in person they would be the pick. Of course peoples hearing and taste notwithstanding.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
... in person the 707S2 I heard were without question not just bright, but actually harsh on the top end.
Exactly the opposite of what I found when I auditioned several of the Series-700 Speakers. I found them to have more Mid/High than my current speakers, but at the same time maintaining a smoothness and lack of harshness that appealed to me.

A YouTube video for a myriad of reasons really won’t portray this.
Having heard my own videos on YouTube, it is clear that YouTube sound emphasized Mid/High and softens bass. So, while a well recorded YouTube video can't tell you everything, it can tell you something. Tharbamar records with quality microphone to a digital recorder, so the sound is about the best it can be within the limited of YouTube Videos.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom