KEF LS50 vs B&W 706-S2 - Rare chance to compare

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tharbamar on YouTube has recent changed his beloved LS50 for a pair of B&W 706-S2 and has created a Demo of the two speakers. Both sound fantastic, but I think the 706 have a bit more detail. Very close call though. You can decide for yourself, but remember that YouTube videos favor Mid/High.

Again, both speakers sound good, but I think I agree on fine detail, the 706 come out ahead.

LS50 = £800/pr -

B&W 706-S2 = £1100/pr -

You can tell which speaker is playing by watching the Speaker Cables. The first half is the LS50, the second half is the B&W 706. Listen especially to the drum snaps, very crisp and detailed. Both are amazing speakers, the LS50 are about $300 cheaper per pair, but the B&W 706 are pretty amazing.

I would have loved to have heard the B&W 705-S2 with the Outboard Tweeter, but we take what we can where we find it.

B&W 705-S2 = £1800/pr -

Just thought some here might like to hear the comparison.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
I’ll keep my opinions on YouTube sound videos to myself.., but I can say that in person the 707S2 I heard were without question not just bright, but actually harsh on the top end. A YouTube video for a myriad of reasons really won’t portray this.
I listened also that day to the 702S2 and whilst they reigned in the harshness to a just tolerable level, they we’re still bright and perhaps even thin sounding somewhat because of it. A good speaker but outclassed on the day.

I wanted to be but am just not a fan of the 700S2 range, not heard LS50’s but I bet in person they would be the pick. Of course peoples hearing and taste notwithstanding.

... in person the 707S2 I heard were without question not just bright, but actually harsh on the top end.

Exactly the opposite of what I found when I auditioned several of the Series-700 Speakers. I found them to have more Mid/High than my current speakers, but at the same time maintaining a smoothness and lack of harshness that appealed to me.

A YouTube video for a myriad of reasons really won’t portray this.

Having heard my own videos on YouTube, it is clear that YouTube sound emphasized Mid/High and softens bass. So, while a well recorded YouTube video can't tell you everything, it can tell you something. Tharbamar records with quality microphone to a digital recorder, so the sound is about the best it can be within the limited of YouTube Videos.

Steve/bluewizard

Hello, i have found a second hand 706 s2 for 900$ Worth the money?
Current Current Amp. Rotel RA1520
Speakers B&W 602 s2.
Do i see a significant improvement to the soundstage?
Music rock, metal, Jazz, Electronic.

Thank you
Mel

I've seen a few of his videos. The two speakers that stand out for me are the Quad S2 and Wharfedale Dentons, might try and get a Sit down with them.

Hi, you meant Wharfedale Denton 85?

You say that for my living room of 45cm2 and rock metal would be good enough?

Thank you
Mel

Thank you
Mel

Thank you
Mel
Lol sorry mate, didn't mean specifically for you. Just meant for myself, I loved the sound of them through My headphones, especially the Denton's.

Tharbamar on YouTube has recent changed his beloved LS50 for a pair of B&W 706-S2 and has created a Demo of the two speakers. Both sound fantastic, but I think the 706 have a bit more detail. Very close call though. You can decide for yourself, but remember that YouTube videos favor Mid/High.

Again, both speakers sound good, but I think I agree on fine detail, the 706 come out ahead.

LS50 = £800/pr -

B&W 706-S2 = £1100/pr -

You can tell which speaker is playing by watching the Speaker Cables. The first half is the LS50, the second half is the B&W 706. Listen especially to the drum snaps, very crisp and detailed. Both are amazing speakers, the LS50 are about $300 cheaper per pair, but the B&W 706 are pretty amazing.

I would have loved to have heard the B&W 705-S2 with the Outboard Tweeter, but we take what we can where we find it.

B&W 705-S2 = £1800/pr -

Just thought some here might like to hear the comparison.

Steve/bluewizard

Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?

Hello. I have ordered bowers 706 s2 without demo as demo is not possible where I live . I will be pairing them with my old Harman Kardon 3380 stereo receiver. I have heard reviews that these speakers sound bright / harsh so one cannot listen for too long ? Did you have to do any tonal adjustments to 706 s2 ?
I would take a good long look around your room and try to decide if the ROOM is tonally Bright rather than the speakers. Also consider where you have placed the speakers. Speakers in general need a bit of room around them.

I found the B-W 700 Series to have more treble than my Wharfedale Diamond 9.6, but Wharfedale are notoriously smooth speakers. That is kind of their signature sound.

I auditioned several Series 700 and found that they had just about the right amount of brightness for my taste. I found them clear and detailed, not the least bit harsh.

If you find otherwise, though you are most certainly free to have any opinion you want, I suspect either you are doing something wrong in the way it is setup and configured or the room acoustics are terrible.

But then ... that's just my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom