Question KEF LS50 vs Wharfedale Reva 2 - what would you buy?

coaster1986

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm a long-time lurker, but first time poster. I am considering upgrading my speakers and am between the KEF LS50 and Wharfedale Reva 2 speakers. I'm not able to hear either one where I am located so am looking for some input.

I am also able to get the Reva 2s for about half the price of the LS50, but if the KEFs are the right move I am ok spending more time saving for them.

Some notes to consider:

- Speakers will be used only for music, not TV/ movies
- Receiver is an older Denon DRA 825R (90 watts/ channel into 8 ohms). Minimum is 6ohms (please don't suggest I get the UB5s).
- Turntable is Pro-ject Carbon Debut
- Room is about 15x17 apartment living room
- I listen to everything from classic rock to jazz to classical. I don't listen to hip hop, house, or modern pop.

I am really just looking for beautiful sounding (and nice looking) speakers at $1k or less (I can get the LS50 for $1k or the Reva 2s for $450). I live in an apartment so the music is never loud, just looking for great sounding speakers.

The reviews on both seem very good. The LS50 is clearly a more popular speaker. I guess the question there is -- is it worth an extra $550 for me?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
It will depend on the type of sound you want. REVA are a bit mellower with good midrange. The LS50 are a bit more forward. Here is a video of a guy who generally prefers a more mellow sound, yet his main speakers are LS50. He says in the video, if he were going to do it again, he would get the Reva 2. Though again that is not an absolute truth, that simply his personal opinion based on his personal opinions.

Again, your ears will tell what you best need to know.

Steve/bluewizard

gibbsy

It's very difficult to say which is best for you, in reality it's your own ears that can give that definitive answer. Personally I like KEF, I like the way the speakers deliver, crisp, clean and with great timing. The LS50s are a great album although in an audition several years ago I preferred the overall balance of the R300s, as well as their ability to deliver a deeper bass.

The LS50s are a class act but I suspect there would be a real difference between the way they deliver over the Wharfedales and unfortunately it's really up to you to decide. If I had to make a blind choice it would be the LS50s.

With your choice of music the KEF R300s, or new R3 would may be the better choice.

coaster1986

Novice Member
@BlueWizard thank you for sending that video. That video is actually what led me to post the question. It seems like he would be happy with either speaker, but he refers to the LS50 as being in a class of its own, as if even though the Reva's are nice, nothing can compare to the LS50. So I wasn't sure if others thought the same. I agree with you though - its largely subjective.

@gibbsy thanks for your thoughts. The r300 and r3 are likely great choices as well. I will look into those too.

Ri Tolstoy

I’ve been sat in a demo room this afternoon listening to KEF LS50’s, KEF Q350’s, B&W 707’s. Haven’t heard the Wharfedales but a great brand/history. LOVED the LS50’s... were just complete sound for me...bass, mid and treble shone through, B&W’s too clean, 350’s dull. KEF LS50’s were exciting dare I say.... they made me grin from ear to ear.

gibbsy

I’ve been sat in a demo room this afternoon listening to KEF LS50’s, KEF Q350’s, B&W 707’s. Haven’t heard the Wharfedales but a great brand/history. LOVED the LS50’s... were just complete sound for me...bass, mid and treble shone through, B&W’s too clean, 350’s dull. KEF LS50’s were exciting dare I say.... they made me grin from ear to ear.
Always buy the grin factor.:smashin:

Southern soul

@BlueWizard thank you for sending that video. That video is actually what led me to post the question. It seems like he would be happy with either speaker, but he refers to the LS50 as being in a class of its own, as if even though the Reva's are nice, nothing can compare to the LS50. So I wasn't sure if others thought the same. I agree with you though - its largely subjective.

@gibbsy thanks for your thoughts. The r300 and r3 are likely great choices as well. I will look into those too.
I would stick with the LS50's, I asked my dealer about switching to the R3's and he thought it would be a sideways move and not worth the £500 premium over the LS50's, if you require more bass (which i don't) you could always add a nice REL subwoofer.