KEF LS50 Wireless/LSX Bluetooth Streaming

Simonofthepiemans

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking at buying buying either of the above two systems and am erring towards the LS50's, although I think the question stands for either model.
In terms of Bluetooth streaming what are the limitations. I know that it supports Tidal, Spotify connect, and Apple but if I were to play other media from either my laptop or phone would I have to connect with cables or simply select the speakers as a connected output?
An example would be if I were playing SoundCloud where (as far as I know) it doesn't link up through your local wifi, would that still work through Bluetooth?

Hope that makes sense.
Many thanks

On reflection of my above post, I suppose it may have been simpler to ask if they still operated as a standard Bluetooth speaker. One you pair with and it will play whatever your device is outputting.
Thanks again.

On reflection of my above post, I suppose it may have been simpler to ask if they still operated as a standard Bluetooth speaker. One you pair with and it will play whatever your device is outputting.
Thanks again.
I can confirm they both can act as bluetooth speakers which you could connect with your phone. I would say that in terms of sound quality, that is not the best option.

Both KEF's are excellent active speakers and you should be happy with either. LS50 W has more bass output than the LSX if that is important to you.

Wi-Fi streaming is always better than Bluetooth. If an Apple user the LSX support AirPlay but the LS50 don't. Neither supports Chromecast if a Android user.

As an Apple user I would go for the LSX with a subwoofer.

Thanks for the replies.
I did find more detailed spec on KEF's site eventually.
Bluetooth would only be occasional use.
I don't have much space for seperates so I'm l looking at these for a long term replacement for my old system. They will be my everything CDs, streaming, AV. I'm veering towards the LS50's for their larger soundstage for use in my main room which is about 5x4.
Can you correct me if I'm wrong, but these don't have the capacity to support wired headphones, do they? Seems a bit remise of these are designed to be an "all in one" solution.

Remember, no Apple Music support on the LS50W, unless via Bluetooth. Whereas the LSX can do Apple Music via AirPlay 2. It can't be long until the LS50 are updated to a new model that will support AirPlay.

If you want an all in one solution look at the Naim Uniti Star with your choice of passive speakers, ideally some floor standers. This has a CD player built in and a HDMI connection for your TV.

Last edited:
Not so bothered re Airplay as I haven't got a multi room set up.
The uniti star looks like the perfect but of kit for me but a little out of my price bracket, I can currently source a new set of LS50w for £1,500.
The Headphone element will bother me if it's not an option to use a set. If I'm playing a film late at night, for example, or just wanted to hear my tunes canned, I'd want to utilise the internally housed processing and DACs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom