Question KEF LS50 Wireless.... opinions please?

True-Blue

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I considering putting a ‘Wanted’ add in the classifieds for a pair of these but I can’t really audition and I don’t want to wait weeks for the lockdown to finish.

I‘m very aware of the properties and benefits of properly active speakers, as I’ve owned
various Avi actives in the past so don’t need any education there. Sadly, Avi are now more, so I’d rather buy a brand where I can be confident of obtaining spares, getting repairs done in future Etc.

a few years ago I owned a pair of Avi DM10’s and they were fabulous, I used them for music (obviously I guess) but also instead off a home cinema system. They imaged so well that I had no need for a centre speaker.... they were that good!

I’m not looking for a DM10 vs LS50W comparison as I doubt there are many people who have heard both. The LS50W are certainly superior in terms of looks and functionality, but how we’ll do they image?

Could I get away with them for movie duties either side of a TV?

I’ve built cinema rooms before, with SVS sub’s, M&K surrounds etc... but not looking to go down that route again. My room is too big for an Atmos Soundbar to perform well, so I’m looking for a simple stereo speaker solution with to enhance movies & be good quality with stereo music...

any thoughts warmly welcomed.

As a fellow actives convert (circa 1985), can I ask why you're not considering other active speakers such as those usually marketed as nearfield studio monitors? Is it the lack of digital inputs, the utilitarian appearance or what?

I've not heard either the AVI or the KEF but I baulk at the KEF's £2000 price. It would have to be pretty amazing to justify it's price tag - perhaps it is - though I wonder if KEF have sorted out the reported operational/usability issues?

If the AVI DM10 gave an agreeable tonal balance in your room, then I suspect the LS50W may not - too small. Maybe something like the Event Opal would be more suitable (in terms of audio performance). It would certainly give more 'oomph' to movies and you wouldn't need a sub. What is your room size/area?

Hi,

What ever I buy will be used either side of my TV in my living room, looks are therefore also important as I have a partner and I need to take her opinion into account!

room size is circa 12ft wide x 18ft long, the Tv is against one of the shorter walls.

Up not down in price, but the Genelec One series are another active monitor with point source coaxial drivers, AES/EBU digital inputs and room correction (via GLM) you might want to add to your list.

I'd also invest in a small external streamer/endpoint device, rather than looking for wireless speakers with built-in support for the latest streaming platforms and protocols, as those platforms likely deprecate faster than a basic/standard analog or digital connection.

Last edited:
Up not down in price, but the Genelec One series are another active monitor with point source coaxial drivers, AES/EBU digital inputs and room correction (via GLM) you might want to add to your list.

I'd also invest in a small external streamer/endpoint device, rather than looking for wireless speakers with built-in support for the latest streaming platforms and protocols, as those platforms likely deprecate faster than a basic/standard analog or digital connection.

These look very interesting, but a pair would be far more than I’d want to spend at this point. Thanks though.

I tried a pair of Kef LS50 wireless a year ago after reading rave reviews from them with some people calling them simliar to a £10,000 system. I would say they are very good and worth the money but personally would not recommend them for watching films etc.

I tried a pair of Kef LS50 wireless a year ago after reading rave reviews from them with some people calling them simliar to a £10,000 system. I would say they are very good and worth the money but personally would not recommend them for watching films etc.

It’s a mix of music & to improve Tv sound instead of a soundbar

Why would you not recommend for watching films/tv?

I dont think they produce a big enough soundstage especially in a large room, and I think you would definitely need a sub as well. You could always see if you can get a home demo from somewhere.

I suppose it also depends on how room filling you want your tv sounds, for music I can't fault them. And after reading your initial post they could work ok with light tv use. I also think they image quite well.

Last edited:
I know the Kefs are “wireless” but don’t you have to run an Ethernet cable between the two?

Might be worth finding out / making sure this is possible

I think the Dynaudio Xeo range looks like a good fit for your needs. You can certainly get something with deeper bass than the Kefs which is likely to be more satisfying for TV duties if you don’t want a separate sub.

It’s a mix of music & to improve Tv sound instead of a soundbar

Why would you not recommend for watching films/tv?
I assume that the wireless have the same audio values as the passive models. I found that they are a very musical speaker and as an all rounder I agree with the comments they are not that good of films and I much preferred the old R Series in an audition and went with R300s. What the wireless do have in their corner is the built in amplification to feed their hunger needs.

For a smaller room and with a sub woofer these may be great but for less you can have a pair of passive speakers and a good streaming amp (e.g Marantz PM7000N or Yamaha R-N803D) for a lot less. I see the PM7000N with MA Bronze 5 floor standers are only £1149. I know where my money would be going!

It does depend on your intended use. I would look some R300 with a sub for Mixed music and film use. If you want good music with an AVR then the ARCAMs AVRs are hard to beet. Not sure Marantz or. Yamaha would give stereo results you are looking for.

An ethernet cable does connect the two speakers

Ok, I’ve attached a photo of my room... which might help explain why floor standers are a non starter!…

The shelving units are attached to the walls and the shelves have dimmable led down lights under them.

The Tv is an LG 60C8, with 6500k bias strips on the back. Have all lights on for general viewing and just the bias lights for films.

Basically, I don’t want to ruin the looks... or the Mrs might go a bit mental.

although it doesn’t look like it, there’s enough space for something like a pair of LS50W’s to sit either side of the Tv on Skovby unit.

Altervatively, there’s probably scope to wall mount the Tv and then wall mount L/C/R speakers around it with rears and a sub at the rear of the room.. but the music reproduction from a cinema set like this is generally not very good.

Attachments

• 952EA9E5-FE2B-4DC4-81ED-66BDFCEC0A9F.jpeg
    952EA9E5-FE2B-4DC4-81ED-66BDFCEC0A9F.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Unless you are really wedded on wireless then I think I would be tempted by a pair of Focal Shape Twin speakers and a second hand Benchmark DAC1 as a preamp assuming your only have digital inputs, if you have a mix of digital, analogue and phono the an emotiva PT100 woukd do the preamp duties.

if you upped your budget a little then there are second hand Focal Twin6 Be out there second hand around £1900.

edit - these are only 11mm wider than the LS50, less deep but obviously higher.

edit, on second thoughts an Audiolab M-dac (£300-350 second hand) may be a better preamp/dac as it has remote volume and xlr outputs.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
room size is circa 12ft wide x 18ft long

Agree with others- the KEF LS50W is too small. Even with music duties, I suspect they will sound a bit lightweight in that room - unless used with a sub.

Purchasing a wireless speaker when you don't need to (i.e the speakers will sit either side of the TV), incurs unnecessary expense and therefore reduces 'bang per buck'. The Event Opal I suggested would be a better room fit than the KEF but could even be a fraction large, however there are so many other two-way active speaker options with a single 6" to 7" bass/mid driver per cabinet that would be the ideal size speaker for a typical 12' x 18' room, IME, such as:

Dynaudio LYD-7 Near-Field Studio Monitor, Black at Gear4music (also in white)

This list is by no means exhaustive. Plenty more available.

Wireless isn’t critical... I do have an old Airport express that I could use for music duties. We use Apple Music as my me, my partner her two children and my two children can all use the one family subscription.

The goods news about Skovby units is that are built like tanks and given some isolation feet placing speakers on them will not result in any resonance. I have a Skovby unit with R300s and R200C sitting on it, it's the wider and taller #773. The problem you have for placing on the cabinet is the width of the speakers themselves. You may just get away with LS50s but I doubt R3s or R300s.

The TV is a 65''. Not much room on the 1.9m wide unit.
169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

The goods news about Skovby units is that are built like tanks and given some isolation feet placing speakers on them will not result in any resonance. I have a Skovby unit with R300s and R200C sitting on it, it's the wider and taller #773. The problem you have for placing on the cabinet is the width of the speakers themselves. You may just get away with LS50s but I doubt R3s or R300s.

Yes, it’s also go a built in IR repeater (The Skovby that is!) but I don’t use it currently.

I’m from the ‘science’ not ’Snake oil’ school of hifi... I completely agree that some decent isolation pads that enable a slight angle upwards towards the listening position is all that will be required.

I’ve got around 21cm each side to play with if I stand the speakers on the unit.

It looks a lot smaller in your photo, so same size as mine then. Quality furniture.

It looks a lot smaller in your photo, so same size as mine then. Quality furniture.

Yes same length, but yours is taller and probably a bit more practical....it’s probably just the photo making the room look narrower than it really is!

Nice furniture, simple & effective :thumbsup:

For a smaller room and with a sub woofer these may be great but for less you can have a pair of passive speakers and a good streaming amp (e.g Marantz PM7000N or Yamaha R-N803D) for a lot less. I see the PM7000N with MA Bronze 5 floor standers are only £1149. I know where my money would be going!

Not a patch on proper active speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom