Answered KEF LS50 wireless question

Spartacus92

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys I am a total noobie I apologize beforehand if I sound like a dumb-ass.
Okay so I wanted to get a great pair of speakers that I can use for years and years without having to get a pre amp, receiver, etc. so I looked into the ls50w and picked up one. They are great I am using the usb port from my computer mostly I find it sounds best. Now my question is how do I maximize the sound of these speakers? I understand it has internal dacs but my little bro gave me his DAC (m2tech young dsd) a pretty good dac. My question is if I connect the young dsd DAC to the ls50 it would be converting the audio signal twice ;external dac and internal dac. Am I wrong to assume that I will benefit from using an external dac? Im still trying to decide because I need to buy the right cables for them. If the sound offers no improvement then I will not be getting any cables and possible loooking to sell the young dsd. My brother moved away thats why he gave it to me.
so it has balanced xlrs in the back of the yound dsd and it has an xlr to rca converter so most likely ill pick up audioquest rcas to use with the dac if it works out.
I hope you understand and one of you guys can really help me with this it is important to me. I love music and I want to learn as much as I can.

The cost of connecting up an external DAC by RCA cables is relatively low (avoiding any outlay on overpriced esoteric RCA cables made by celestial virgins in a vacuum during total eclipses) so you can easily test yourself and put your trust in your own ears.

haha I found some old ones in my dad's room. I will test tonight but the thing is my ears are relatively new for this. hopefully they will sound unreal with the DAC. any tips on what I should be looking to hear better? Im not at the point where I can tell instantly what's missing or not. Is it a good idea to listen to the same record over and over so your ears know what to pick up on?

Assuming the analogue input on the LS50 is fed into the LS50's internal DAC then using an external DAC is completely pointless. It's the LS50's DAC that will always determine the quality of the sound.

It the LS50 DAC is worse than the m2tech DAC then all that will happen is the LS50 DAC will bring that signal quality down to the LS50's level. If the LS50 DAC is better than the m2tech then all you are doing is limiting the LS50 to the quality of an inferior external D/A converter.

Either way it is a no win situation and a waste of electricity!

I presume the analogue input on the LS50 is to allow the connection of a true analogue source like a turntable with phono preamp. It's just daft to connect the analogue outputs of a DAC to to it.

haha I found some old ones in my dad's room. I will test tonight but the thing is my ears are relatively new for this. hopefully they will sound unreal with the DAC. any tips on what I should be looking to hear better? Im not at the point where I can tell instantly what's missing or not. Is it a good idea to listen to the same record over and over so your ears know what to pick up on?
That's the point though, its about what sounds good to you not what other people are telling you what you should be hearing. Remember there is LoFi and there is HiFi and somewhere in the middle is SatisFi

I have to thank you all of you! I did try it and did not know the difference so like Dune said I think in the end its the internal DAC that determines the sound quality since it had a dac doesnt matter if the sound get converted how mnay damn times. But I am SatisFi with the sound as it is just thought I could benefit from having the extra external DAC. Now if you guys don't mind.. and it is an expensive DAC that my bro got. I want to put it to use. How should I go about using it? It only has balanced XLRs for output. but comes with a rca converter. I really dont want it to sit in my closet and not put it to use. If you guys could let me know what I can do with it to benefit from using a DAC that would be great. A/V receivers?

If you don't need the DAC then why not sell it and put the money towards more music, which after all is the goal - to enjoy listening to music.

What should I put money towards next? I have tried selling it but not many people know the brand.. Maybe Ill try again. But it is pretty much on pay with the mytek brooklyn from what i've read.

What should I put money towards next?

What do you need ? Any other possible sources in mind ? Treat partner and or kids. If nothing, then that's money in the pocket for a rainy day.
I agree with larkone and sell because Right now, other than adding extra inputs which it's not needed as yet, it's an expensive door stop. You can try different rca cables to see if there's improvement but personally, if happy I would stick with as is

Where have you tried selling it ? Have u tried on here in the classifieds

I just posted on here hopefully someone will be interested :)
Im using the usb from my computer so I dont think changing the cable would make a difference? I will try to sell it and save some money of course just so when something comes up that interests me. ATM im also very much enjoying the Audeze lcd 2 with the mojo chord. IT obv doesnt sound as good as the ls50w speakers but its nice when the person next door is sleeping and I want to jam out haha.

BTW I tried the optical and the audioquest one so a decent brand and I still think usb sounds better. Probably my preference haha. I will try again tonight. my ears have a long ways to go before I develop that ability to hear and understand whats too much and what's missing. but thats why im on here so you guys can help noobs like me out haha

Landed via a search for Kef LS50 Wireless as am looking at purchasing.
If you convert your files via the Young DAC you feed an analogue signal to the Kefs. If you feed raw data from computer or Nas etc ie. MP3, FLAC etc you connect to digital input and allow the Kef DACs to do the converting work. The Kef DACs are limited though in the file choice they will convert. I notice your Youngs DAC is called 'DSD' which suggests it can convert DSD files. The Kef internal DACS do not! So think about your file type and you decide.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom