Question Kef LSX remote faulty or crap by design?

ardnox

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Kef LSX system, it sounds great but the remote is bugging me... I have it set up as TV speakers either side of the screen. The remote works but only from a narrow range of angles. I have to be pretty square on to make it work. It also requires loads of presses to make a noticeable change in volume. I’m getting increasingly angry every time I have to get out my chair to change the f**king volume. I’ve never had this sort of problem with amps, TVs, set top boxes - even cheap ones just work. It works much better from the Kef app but I don’t like having to pull my phone out and fire up an app each time just to change the volume.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is it faulty or is it just badly designed?

I've got the same problem. I've recently bought a Logitech Harmony, and I can now turn the TV and speakers on with one button press, and to change the volume it's the same (1 press seems to only adjust the volume by 1, as oppose to the app on the phone you can get it to go up by like 5 or 10 with one press. However, on the harmony remote I can just hold the button down instead of pressing it individually so it changes volume quicker. This may also be possible on the lsx remote I just can't remember trying it. I've also linked it to Alexa now and if you ask it to turn the volume up or down it seems to do 5 presses at once, not perfect but okay ish). I had the same issue with the narrow IR signal, but again not an issue now I have the harmony. £70 well spent.

PS If you ever do figure out how to get the button presses to jump by 5 or 10 as oppose to 1 please let me know, but again it seems like the app only lets you change this on your phone not the remote. Seems a big oversight on a £1k set of speakers if you ask me.

Also, how do you find the bass? I love the speakers for music, however I feel for movies I may have to invest in a subwoofer.

So just a universal remote is the solution?
Which Harmony remote did you get?

Regarding how much the remote steps volume, I emailed their support and suggested they add that to the Kef Control app. I’m sure a firmware update could address it.

I find music is great through SpotifyConnect.
i was disappointed streaming the BBC Sounds app over Airplay. It’s noticeably worse than SpotifyConnect. I don't know if this is just down to drop in the quality of the stream. It could be the same as the BBC streams at the same sample rate. It sounded better through Room but I dont want to pay £10/month for that just for radio. I also emailed them to suggest adding internet radio to the Kef Stream app.

TV, the voices are very clear but I agree the bass is lacking. I had Bose Acoustimass 6 plugged in before this and as much as everyone in this forum hates Bose, they added a lot of boom that’s missing from these. I’d like to get a sub but the remote issue has been such a source of anger that the Mrs wants me to return it! I’ll probably keep it though and repurpose it as the kitchen hi-fi.

So just a universal remote is the solution?
Which Harmony remote did you get?

Regarding how much the remote steps volume, I emailed their support and suggested they add that to the Kef Control app. I’m sure a firmware update could address it.

I find music is great through SpotifyConnect.
i was disappointed streaming the BBC Sounds app over Airplay. It’s noticeably worse than SpotifyConnect. I don't know if this is just down to drop in the quality of the stream. It could be the same as the BBC streams at the same sample rate. It sounded better through Room but I dont want to pay £10/month for that just for radio. I also emailed them to suggest adding internet radio to the Kef Stream app.

TV, the voices are very clear but I agree the bass is lacking. I had Bose Acoustimass 6 plugged in before this and as much as everyone in this forum hates Bose, they added a lot of boom that’s missing from these. I’d like to get a sub but the remote issue has been such a source of anger that the Mrs wants me to return it! I’ll probably keep it though and repurpose it as the kitchen hi-fi.
I got the Logitech Harmony companion, basically any with the hub as they come with IR repeaters too I believe so the signal can reach anywhere, not that I needed to use them as placing the hub next to the TV / speakers on my open shelf unit was perfect. You don't have to point the remote in a particular direction; it always works. The hub also gives you the Alexa support. I didn't go for the elite as I wanted a normal remote. Build quality and usability is great. We hated having 2 remotes as they kept going down the sofa, especially the cheap small KEF one. But me and the gf are both happy now, don't really think about the volume issue anymore as I can just hold the button down like I said and let go when I'm happy with the volume, it doesn't seem to have a delay where it keeps going up etc after letting go. There's just no visual display for the volume on the TV or speaker of course. I spent £70 on Amazon but I think it's gone up to £90+ at the minute. Noticed cex sell them used or like new if you don't mind second hand or just want to try it out.

I also emailed them saying the same thing I believe a while back but no reply.

Tempted to get a sub but after getting an OLED TV as well recently I don't know if I can sneak it past the gf 🤔😂

Edit; just while I remember, the Alexa can be a little slow maybe 2 or 3 seconds delay to sending the signal but it's good if you've just walked in or upstairs and want it turning on before you go down or can't find the remote and don't want to use the app on the phone. Just pissed the gf off and turned off her program from upstairs to test this out 👍 I didn't get it for the Alexa function but it is cool

Don’t you think it’s a big failing though on Kef’s part? Spend a grand in a hifi and the remote is worse than a cheap amp or TV. You shouldn't have to buy an additional one.

The other thing which I think is a big mistake is the lack of volume control and standby button on the speakers themselves. They aren’t just speakers, they are an amp too but they are designed like they are just speakers. If I want to quickly turn it down it involves scrambling for my phone. Sonos have buttons on their speakers. The best I’ve seen is on the Naim MuSo, they have a super sexy dial that lights up and has a display in the middle. It’s a bit like the Nest thermostats. That’s exactly what Kef should have added. It’s also nice to know the volume by number.

Another flaw they could fix - when you press a volume button on the remote, the light on the speaker flashes once. However, it will only do this every second or so. This means that you can tap the volume up button 5 times in row and the speaker only flashes once making you think it only went up one notch. It’s completely misleading feedback. It should flash every press.

Don’t you think it’s a big failing though on Kef’s part? Spend a grand in a hifi and the remote is worse than a cheap amp or TV. You shouldn't have to buy an additional one.

The other thing which I think is a big mistake is the lack of volume control and standby button on the speakers themselves. They aren’t just speakers, they are an amp too but they are designed like they are just speakers. If I want to quickly turn it down it involves scrambling for my phone. Sonos have buttons on their speakers. The best I’ve seen is on the Naim MuSo, they have a super sexy dial that lights up and has a display in the middle. It’s a bit like the Nest thermostats. That’s exactly what Kef should have added. It’s also nice to know the volume by number.

Another flaw they could fix - when you press a volume button on the remote, the light on the speaker flashes once. However, it will only do this every second or so. This means that you can tap the volume up button 5 times in row and the speaker only flashes once making you think it only went up one notch. It’s completely misleading feedback. It should flash every press.
Yeah I definitely agree, it wouldn't have cost much for them to make the remote better or even bundle a universal perhaps to make up for the lack of HDMI ARC if they are aiming at TV use too, or just improve the app to allow greater jumps in volume. Tbf I wanted the Naim muso 2 originally but my setup didn't allow for it really (TV above a fireplace gap too narrow for the muso). I knew about the rubbish remote prior to buying, the volume thing is annoying and I don't like how they can't detect input (although launching Spotify connect does swap to the correct input). I was very lucky though and managed to get the speakers, official S1 stands, an echo dot and some Bluetooth earphones for £1049 new so sticking with them. The Logitech remote is great quality so I don't have that issue now, and I don't like multiple remotes anyway. My only thing now is the bass for films, I don't wanna spend another £500 for a sub but then hopefully I'm done and I don't need to spend any more on TVs or speakers for a long time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom