Question Kef LSX vs Acoustic Enegry AE1 Active

lockheed

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between those two active speaker sets. I eliminated Dynaudio Zeo 2, as from the review here I gathered it is a bit too old and AE1 is bettery anyway.

However, in the review of neither of the two above, that @Ed Selley so interestingly written, there there is no direct comparison, which leaves me wondering which is the better speaker.

The main application will be HiFi music and sometimes, a movie.

I understand AE1 does not have its own DAC (advantage to me as I can use better external DAC). Still, Kef sports some good wireless features.

But just form the sound quality standpoint - which one is better?

I welcome input from anyone, but if @Ed Selley can voice his opinion - as he reviewed both - that would be peachy.

And if there is something active even better sounding in this price range, I'd like to hear about it, too.

I’m not at all sure why you would consider the Dynaudios as too old?

Do you mean used?

If not, and you’re buying new, then the fact that the Dynaudios may be an ‘older’ design should not influence you in any way.

Dynaudio have built a world class reputation over a long time and certainly deserve to be heard.

I refer to technology used in active speaker. I suppose it is not worth the premium, because the review by @Ed Selley of Dynaudio was not quite as positive as it was for the AE1.

Anyway, if you have experience with any of these, especially more than one, I'd be great to hear it.

I have auditioned the AE1's and they are very good, but if you want the gold standard in active monitors I would look at ATC.

I refer to technology used in active speaker. I suppose it is not worth the premium, because the review by @Ed Selley of Dynaudio was not quite as positive as it was for the AE1.

Anyway, if you have experience with any of these, especially more than one, I'd be great to hear it.

You will probably find that was due to the fact the Dynaudio's are only a small 26cm box and are a fair bit smaller than the AE1. It is after all Dynaudio's smallest active. but it has twin 65w amps onboard, it has a dac built in, it has bluetooth built in and you can upgrade to 192KHz via optical ..

dont underestimate them!.. for a couple hundred quid extra you have the more promient Xeo 10 .. serious powerhouse but "plasticy" looks are the only drawback. The Xeo 10 is more than a rival for the AE1 on features and are "almost" on par for sound

Last edited:
There is another much cheaper serious player with built in dac and loads of features at some £650 odd which is overlooked and "might" be worth a look or discussion over.. this is the Quad 9AS
Home (no bluetooth though)

Guys, thanks for all your recommendations.
Actually, a built-in DAC is a disadvantage for me, because with external DAC I think I will get better audio quality. Neither bluetooth is much of a factor to me.

The main issue is sound quality and form what I gathered from @Orobas' post, AE1 is better even than a higher model Dynaudio active.

But still some opinion with experience with both AE1 and LSX would be great.

Guys, thanks for all your recommendations.
Actually, a built-in DAC is a disadvantage for me, because with external DAC I think I will get better audio quality. Neither bluetooth is much of a factor to me.

The main issue is sound quality and form what I gathered from @Orobas' post, AE1 is better even than a higher model Dynaudio active.

But still some opinion with experience with both AE1 and LSX would be great.

I would still look and demo the dynaudio. It has the best features.. its just the looks that let it down. The AE1 has just a slight edge on the overall sound... My old speakers were AE neo 1's and i replaced them with my Dynaudio DM2/6's.. Same thing.. The AE's had more sound.. being a bigger box but they lack the authority and clarity of the Dynaudios and when given some welly.. the AE's grained really hard on me where the Dynaudios have just grinned and said is that the best you got

Also consider AVI DM5.

I would still look and demo the dynaudio. It has the best features.. its just the looks that let it down. The AE1 has just a slight edge on the overall sound... My old speakers were AE neo 1's and i replaced them with my Dynaudio DM2/6's.. Same thing.. The AE's had more sound.. being a bigger box but they lack the authority and clarity of the Dynaudios and when given some welly.. the AE's grained really hard on me where the Dynaudios have just grinned and said is that the best you got
Correct me if I am wront, Orobas, but are you basing your opinion of superiority of Dynaudio Zeo 2 vs AE! on your experience with active AE1 vs passive DM2/6?
Isn't that apples and oranges?

Also consider AVI DM5.
These are the most expensive of all types and I think also the smalles. Do you have some direct comaprison with then vm Kef LSX or AE1?

I didn’t realise you had your own dac/preamp.
In that case these will be quite spectacularly good.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_a7x_glossy_black_448532.htm
Ps, what dac are you going to use? I’m assuming it has a preamp in built...
It will be Topping D30.

Your suggestions of Adam series avcives seem to be half the price of LSX or AE1 (for a pair). Are you sure these are comparable?

Plus - does anyone can compare any of these to Kef LSX in terms of sound?

These are the most expensive of all types and I think also the smalles. Do you have some direct comaprison with then vm Kef LSX or AE1?
I’ve not had the opportunity to compare them, but I have some and they’re very good.

Correct me if I am wront, Orobas, but are you basing your opinion of superiority of Dynaudio Zeo 2 vs AE! on your experience with active AE1 vs passive DM2/6?

It will be Topping D30.

Your suggestions of Adam series avcives seem to be half the price of LSX or AE1 (for a pair). Are you sure these are comparable?

The Adams are priced singly. Twice as much for two.

The Adams, and so very many others, are professional monitors.

They are made for a huge market that tends to ignore bullshit claims and concentrate on sound quality. (Not always the case with hifi).

If I was in the market for pretty, all in one active speakers (with volume control), I’d go for the Kefs.

Ps, the Topping is great dac for the price. But it is not a preamp. You will need a preamp to use it with any speakers that don’t have volume remote control.

I’d stick with the Kefs if you want to use the D30.

The Adams are priced singly. Twice as much for two.
Ok, got it. Adam A7X brand new for €942 vs €1080 for LSX and €986 for AE1.
That set of A5Xs + this sub is €1271 locally. But sub is an additional piece and I'd peref ro limit the clutter and number of cables.

I understand that A7Xs are pro monitors, but it does not necessairily mean they sound better than the others listed here. Have you had any comparison of A7X vs any of the rest?

If I was in the market for pretty, all in one active speakers (with volume control), I’d go for the Kefs.
My doubts about Kefs are twofolfs:
- they have built-in DAC that is most likely not as good as D30, and (correct me if I'm wrong) putting two dacs in a row will result in the lowest common denominator
- limited bass capability and sound witch from the review mentioned in the OP, seems to be not quite as good as with AE1s.

the Topping is great dac for the price. But it is not a preamp. You will need a preamp to use it with any speakers that don’t have volume remote control.
I’d stick with the Kefs if you want to use the D30.
Great point, I did not think about it. I am not married to that D30, though. Perhaps I can find better alternative with preamp, IF it is worth the trouble over LSXs.
AE1 have built in volume regulation, so I guess preamp is not necessary. But there is no remote so a bit inconvenient.

Last edited:

It will be Topping D30.

The AE Active has a very close so

It will be Topping D30.

I'm just very familiar with AE and Dynaudio as a whole having had bookshelvers from both in the past. (The AE Neo 1's are passive not active which is why i compared them to the passive DM2/6) Thats all. I was just trying to convey the importance of listening to each. as i mentioned.. the AE had the bigger sound but the Dyns had a better quality about the sound. Auditioning is always important and allows you to determine what sounds best :)

AE1 have built in volume regulation, so I guess preamp is not necessary. But there is no remote so a bit inconvenient.
Isn’t that just a input gain trim on the back? That would be a very impractical and annoying way of controlling the volume.

Isn’t that just a input gain trim on the back? That would be a very impractical and annoying way of controlling the volume.
Perhaps. However, turns out Topping D30 has built in digital volume regulation available form playback devices (computer, smartphone), so in the end not having a separate preamp does not look half that bad.

That way you’ll almost certainly be chopping off bits. Literally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom