Kef P1 Desk Pad for LSX

Nick_H

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all does anyone have thoughts on the above before I pull the trigger ? My speakers are at either side of the computer monitor and the desk is a little, well, boomy ... I'm sure the LSX's rubber feet help …

Do the P1's look like they will supply enough insolation between the speaker and the desk ?

Does it matter that the speakers are not at ear height ?

They are expensive for me at £135 but I want my speakers to be at their best as well as the stands looking pleasing to the eye.

I'm sure KEF would not release something at this price if they had not done the research ?

Cheers

Dont know about those KEF Pads but IsoAcoustic products are usually regarded as defacto choice for studio monitor desk top placement along with foam pads from a variety of Pro suppliers.

Blutak or squash balls are cheaper especially as Kef make absolutely no claims about acoustic of vibration isolation - only the ability to angle the speakers up when placing on low shelves. I would not expect them to perform well solving your issue.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah the Kef P1's look nice and I would certainty buy them but as larkone says they say nothing about isolation. They just looks like stands. The reason I want stands is to isolate the speakers from my boomy desk.... It looks like the P1's are just a fashion accessory to me ?

Yeah the Kef P1's look nice and I would certainty buy them but as larkone says they say nothing about isolation. They just looks like stands. The reason I want stands is to isolate the speakers from my boomy desk.... It looks like the P1's are just a fashion accessory to me ?
There’s an option to setup the Kefs to help with boom in the app isn’t there? Distance from the wall etc. Has that helped?

Yes I've done all that. I'm not a hi-fi expert and see you are a distinguished member of the forums could you explain to me why I should go for the KEF P1's over the IsoAcoustics stands other than the Kefs look great ? Cheers

Yes I've done all that. I'm not a hi-fi expert and see you are a distinguished member of the forums could you explain to me why I should go for the KEF P1's over the IsoAcoustics stands other than the Kefs look great ? Cheers
Haha mate I’m no expert either!
Personally, seeing as tho the P1’s are on Amazon, I’d try them out and see what, if any difference they make. If no good then you can always return.

I know... They look great but I just think they wont fix the problem … Other thing is the speakers are sat on my desk and everything I've been reading says they need to be at ear height …. I know the kefs don't have classic tweeters as such but they are currently pointing at the bottom of my rib cage :)

They do look like a good cheap solution but :

a) They would certainly spoil the great look of the speakers ( sorry !! )
b) I would still be left with speakers nowhere near the height of my ears ( or does this not really matter )

Thanks for the suggestions gents much appreciated... It's a learning curve ...

Well for better or worse I've decided on the IsoAcoustics ISO L8R stands for the reasons above. Should arrive on Saturday.

I'll report back for closure !

Again thanks to the posters who took the time to help.

Here you go … Now perfectly at ear height and everything sounds much tighter.

Not the best pic taken on iPad...

IMG_0687.JPG

Hi Nick_H :)

I'm looking for purchasing a stand for my lsx too, and I hesitate betwin the kef p1 and the same isoacoustic you get.

What makes me hesitate is that the isoacoustic looks a bit too big in mesurement (15.2*13) comparing to the surface the kef lsx are laying on (about 12*10, and 9.5x7.5 if I look at the rubber little feet ^^)

after almost a year with your purchase =) are you still happy, are the kef lsx a good fit on the isoacoustic and is it stable o_O ?

Hope I'll get a respond from you =))

I can't comment for Nick_H or the IsoAcoustics ISO L8R 130, but last week I purchased the updated IsoAcoustics ISO-130 for my Kef LSX's. Whilst the measurements suggested they would fit, the base plate on the Kef LSX's mean they don't fit well on the ISO-130. The plate only just about rests on the four corner supports of the ISO-130, it wasn't stable. So I very reluctantly I sold them. The Calculator on the IsoAcoustics site doesn't list the Kef LSX's.

I know it's an old thread, but it's new to me. :)

To sort of echo what randall has said above, my ISO-130s arrived today and, as stated above, the base plate feet only just touch the top of the discs on the stands. I positioned mine and then gave my desk a few knocks and wobbles and they didn't appear to be going anywhere, but just looking at them made me feel uneasy.

What I've done, wrongly or rightly (don't shoot me) is to bring the speak forward a few mm, so it's the base of the speaker, not the metal plate feet that's in contact at the back of the stand. This gives the front feet a bit more 'purchase' and also gives the speakers a very minor upwards tilt. They're definitely not going to wobble off now, and i cant hear any discernible difference in sound like this, other than the major improvements from being up at ear level. :lesson:

I know it's an old thread, but it's new to me. :)
Ditto for me 6 months further down the line. I tried with some camera tripods but they looked like they would topple at any minute. So I’ve ordered the P1 which can these days be easily had for 99 which is still ludicrous but better than 135.

I have the P1's with the LSX and have found them really good, they also nicely direct the speakers at my ears when sat on my desk for near field listening, which makes the sound staging really good for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom