Question KEF R3 Bookshelf Speakers (LRC), 3020i (rear l+r) with a Nad T758v3.

cjlhessing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello my audio people, I went to listen to the Kef R3 speakers (and the R2C centre speaker to go with them) and wow. wow wow wow!
So I'm looking to put them with a Nad T758v3, I dont have a power amp spare but could get one at a later date I think...
Not entirely sure if I should be going for a 2 channel l+r one or a 3 channel or 5 channel when it comes to this so pff but in the meantime, for a 5.1 system that won't be going loud (2-3metres from speakers) will I be ok to start off with just the Nad av until I add in 2 Atmos speakers at a later date? Using a SPL calculator site, I end up with a 'SPL at listening postion 102dB'
That sounds ok...doesn't it???

If it helps, the speaker stats are 'sensitivity 87dB, 15 - 180W, 8Ω, 110dB Max output, ±3dB 52Hz - 28kHz'
My sub is the pb2000 pro (landed a freebie) but seeing as those are powered I doubt this matters to load.
L+R Rears are just 2 leftover 3020i speakers which are around the same stats I believe.

Any advice would help.

If a power amp is absolutely necessary right from the start so far I'v looked at the Marantz MM7025/7055 (2 ch vs 5ch x 140W)

Really hoping I don't need to go that route right away.

The Nad will have no problems driving the R3s, if you feel at a later date that you need more power then that's easily solved. They are a very good speaker and are very good at film and music, I have the previous R300s. Are you going to get the R2C or will you be running three R3s at the front? Not that it matters if you have the room. I use a Rega stereo amp to drive my front pair in HT by-pass mode and they did respond to the extra power on tap.

As far as the surrounds are concerned matching the models, although preferable, is not a rule written in stone and I would use the QAs in that position as the timbre there will not be as important.

The Nad will have no problems driving the R3s, if you feel at a later date that you need more power then that's easily solved. They are a very good speaker and are very good at film and music, I have the previous R300s. Are you going to get the R2C or will you be running three R3s at the front? Not that it matters if you have the room. I use a Rega stereo amp to drive my front pair in HT by-pass mode and they did respond to the extra power on tap.

As far as the surrounds are concerned matching the models, although preferable, is not a rule written in stone and I would use the QAs in that position as the timbre there will not be as important.

Hello Gibbsy! Thanks for the reply, you've set my mind at ease...was a tad worried things would blow up in a puff of 'we tried our best' blue smoke lol.
Yes I will get the R2C to go in the centre, I'm more than happy to keep the Q3020i as rears since I just recently got a stand for them and far as rear sound goes they seem to do just fine :)
I think my main reason for resisting the power-amp option is due to me not knowing much about them as a product as well as trying to keep costs reasonable...2 months down the line I will more than likely revisit this option along with a new AV cabinet to house things in and adding in those KEF R line Atmos speakers :)

Anyway, many thanks for that info, truly appreciated!
Chris.

EDIT: could you let me know the model line you're using with the Rega?Brio/Elex/Elicit etc

I have a Denon X6200 which is roughly in the same power band as the Nad and the Denon drove them easily. The Rega Elicit-R was added because the Denon was quite poor with stereo music and not so much as a power amp option. The extra power of the Rega has benefitted the speakers for film and TV but for music the Rega and the KEFs are so well matched.

With Atmos you could go with the R8a or the Q50a. They can be both used on top of the R3s or mounted on the wall high as possible as they have keyhole fittings. I use R50s on top of my 300s. They work well for me.

Hello my audio people, I went to listen to the Kef R3 speakers (and the R2C centre speaker to go with them) and wow. wow wow wow!
So I'm looking to put them with a Nad T758v3, I dont have a power amp spare but could get one at a later date I think...
Not entirely sure if I should be going for a 2 channel l+r one or a 3 channel or 5 channel when it comes to this so pff but in the meantime, for a 5.1 system that won't be going loud (2-3metres from speakers) will I be ok to start off with just the Nad av until I add in 2 Atmos speakers at a later date? Using a SPL calculator site, I end up with a 'SPL at listening postion 102dB'
That sounds ok...doesn't it???

If it helps, the speaker stats are 'sensitivity 87dB, 15 - 180W, 8Ω, 110dB Max output, ±3dB 52Hz - 28kHz'
My sub is the pb2000 pro (landed a freebie) but seeing as those are powered I doubt this matters to load.
L+R Rears are just 2 leftover 3020i speakers which are around the same stats I believe.

Any advice would help.

If a power amp is absolutely necessary right from the start so far I'v looked at the Marantz MM7025/7055 (2 ch vs 5ch x 140W)

Really hoping I don't need to go that route right away.
as gibbsy says the nad will have no trouble,r 200c and 4 r300 with svs sub,sounds really powerful with lots of headroom,and does not get hot even at high volume.:)

Thanks
I have a Denon X6200 which is roughly in the same power band as the Nad and the Denon drove them easily. The Rega Elicit-R was added because the Denon was quite poor with stereo music and not so much as a power amp option. The extra power of the Rega has benefitted the speakers for film and TV but for music the Rega and the KEFs are so well matched.

With Atmos you could go with the R8a or the Q50a. They can be both used on top of the R3s or mounted on the wall high as possible as they have keyhole fittings. I use R50s on top of my 300s. They work well for me.
Thanks so much Gibbsy!
This will be my first Nad and first Kef. To think 6 months ago I was still using my Onkyo THX package from 2013 or so.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom