Klipsch Reference Premiere 5.1.2 Speaker Package Review & Comments

Glad it sounds good, as that is one mighty ugly and old fashioned set up. :zonked:

This is the same system I have (except I am running the RP-402s) and I love it. Glad I took the jump to a Klipsch setup over my previous Monitor Audio setup.

I have the thx ultra 2 system from klipsch with diy subs and it really is awesome. For home cinema they are hard to beat, certainly at this price point.

Glad it sounds good, as that is one mighty ugly and old fashioned set up. :zonked:
I doubt you would find anything to match it without spending thousands more. But yes they aren’t lookers!

:thumbsup:

This looks like the kind of system were you would buy the satellites as separates then get your own sub. That centre channel issue is also a little concerning for something costing this much.

I am Running the RP280F with dual 15 inch subs ect love them .

I agree with premise of “function over form” but holy mother that is one ugly set of speakers, they either need to give their design people a raise or fire them (my money is on the latter)!

There is simply no way I’d want those in my front room, I’m pretty sure my other half would sooner have white dog poo sitting on the carpet than have those things disgrace our lounge (for a bit of a giggle I sent her some pics and said I was considering these and her response was literally a three letter acronym “WTF”)

I agree with premise of “function over form” but holy mother that is one ugly set of speakers, they either need to give their design people a raise or fire them (my money is on the latter)!

There is simply no way I’d want those in my front room, I’m pretty sure my other half would sooner have white dog poo sitting on the carpet than have those things disgrace our lounge (for a bit of a giggle I sent her some pics and said I was considering these and her response was literally a three letter acronym “WTF”)
I disagree love the look and theg sound incredible.

I disagree love the look and theg sound incredible.

Glad you like ‘em, they’d have to sound incredible as they have the aesthetics of a barge, more than happy to agree to disagree ;)

I could probably tolerate them in a dedicated room as I’m sure they do sound fantastic

This looks like the kind of system were you would buy the satellites as separates then get your own sub. That centre channel issue is also a little concerning for something costing this much.

Gloss black should be available too! And you can choose the center channel freely, there is larger version of 404C with 5,25" drivers and also matching one with same dual 6,5" drivers, odd move from Klipsch to send this one.

SPL-120 sub was just picked price class reference after listening test at DE site (Area DVD) which had likes of XTZ 10.17 etc, another DE site praised also the bass quality and price/performance. It does cost less in Europe and US as they are sold in BestBuy stores for stupid low prices. 12" and 15" models have been tested/measured fine and cause of that been quite popular for a speaker manufacturer subs. Couple big names in the industry (subwoofers) have praised them also after hearing/testing them. Sadly in UK the pricing sucks for Klipsch and there is definitely better models for the money (650£), shame Steve couldn´t test the more popular SPL-150 (15") model which punches hard!

Gloss black
rp-280f_piano_black_3.jpg

Klipsch_Reference_Premeire_Lifestyle_73.jpg

SPL-120 sub was just picked price class reference after listening test at DE site (Area DVD) which had likes of XTZ 10.17 etc, another DE site praised also the bass quality and price/performance. It does cost less in Europe and US as they are sold in BestBuy stores for stupid low prices. 12" and 15" models have been tested/measured fine and cause of that been quite popular for a speaker manufacturer subs. Couple big names in the industry (subwoofers) have praised them also after hearing/testing them. Sadly in UK the pricing sucks for Klipsch and there is definitely better models for the money (650£), shame Steve couldn´t test the more popular SPL-150 (15") model which punches hard!
I didn't mean that it was a bad sub but I think the key line for me was:
However, I did feel that the sub, while responsive and controlled, did lack a bit when mining the really low frequencies. The SPL-120 is a good sub, but there are certainly better choices available.
Still a very nice system with a decent sub.

I like them!!

Though I confess I think they'd need the right room with bricks and or wood and especially with this room as a dedicated room.

That's a lot of caveats but I still like them.

Don't know why, but I've always liked this "copper" look. Maybe because I like old sail ships, & Pubs with lots of Brass.
Shiny!
:)

Looks great but the sub can only do 24 Hz.
Wish it did infrasonics (17Hz and above). Otherwise another solid looking kit from Klipsch.

I didn't mean that it was a bad sub but I think the key line for me was:

Still a very nice system with a decent sub.

Np! If one wants "matching" system then can pick the SPL-150 for 200£ extra. Much better value/performance wise and can put more pressure to ID brands. But there is always something better behind the corner.. :)
Klipsch SPL-150 Subwoofer

Looks great but the sub can only do 24 Hz.
Wish it did infrasonics (17Hz and above). Otherwise another solid looking kit from Klipsch.

In-room response is lower typically so this will have some output in the 20hz range still, but if looking very deep bass with lot´s of output then SVS is always very strong option which you know as owner. :)

Always bit tricky to draw conclusions from the figures alone. Fyne F3-12 was reviewed here and praised by deep bass capabilities, but judging from the specs alone one could think it can´t produce much of those.

Here is review with measurements for the larger 8000F towers if someone is intrested! Shame @DodgeTheViper doesn´t have room for them, as you liked big speakers. ;) Would be great to hear how Arendals compare to Klipsches RP line as judging from popularity in the US it´s many times these or SVS Ultra towers in HT systems.
Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Review

I've thought about moving house :laugh:

Would have been nice to try them tbh, just like so many others. In fact, apart from being 1" deeper, the RP-600F is shorter and narrower than what I have now.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering exactly what you would have to offer the wife to get the OK other than a divorce.

To quote the horrendous film 'What Women Want' they could have just shown a picture of these speakers as a example of what they don't want.

As for mine, she really is very, very good with this stuff. It does help that my setup isn't in a daily living room environment.

@Steve Withers

Steve,
Would you suggest that the RP-6000F need lots of space around them ? I appreciate the rear port would need some but could you give some sort of idea how much space behind and to the sides please ?
And would the RP-600C be a better match for the centre channel, providing it physically fits of course.

Cheers

Last edited:
@Steve Withers

Steve,
Would you suggest that the RP-600F need lots of space around them ? I appreciate the rear port would need some but could you give some sort of idea how much space behind and to the sides please ?
And would the RP-600C be a better match for the centre channel, providing it physically fits of course.

Cheers
My home cinema is fairly narrow, so the RP-6000Fs didn't have a huge amount of space. I probably had about a foot at the rear of each speaker and about 18 inches where the side walls were. So I don't think these speakers need lots of space to sound great. As far as centre speakers go, the RP-600C probably would make a better choice because it has exactly the same drivers.

Crap, I need to make the walls wider. Now were is that hammer and chisel :laugh:

I don't understand what everyone doesn't like about the look of these. I personally think these are beautiful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom