KS9000 Nightmare - 3 replacement screens! (pics)

SpencerK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I purchased a KS9000 about 7 weeks ago, just before Christmas. I spent £1500 on it. I researched and could have gotten a 2017 TV but for all intense purposes the KS9000 come recommended; there was even a 200+ page post on these forums.

Well, to be honest. It has been a nightmare and I do not know what to do. I have had the Engineer come round twice now. This is the 3rd screen. I'm losing my patience with Samsung, they suck at providing good screens. Would you have put up with these screens? I mainly watch horror/Sci films, and play horror games, so good blacks - clear blacks are essential.

So;
This is screen one - that came with the TV. (PS: sorry if the images are big!)
Screen 1 1
Screen 1 2
Screen 1 3
Screen 1 4
Screen 1 5

This is screen two - a deformed lens sheet.
screen 2 1
screen 2 1

screen 2 3
screen 2 4

This is screen three - awful bleed, not as concentrated as screen one, but its more encompassing and covers more of the screen.
screen 3 1
screen 3 2
screen 3 3
screen 3 4

Here is a comparison of screen one and screen two:

screen one
screen_3_1.jpg

screen two:
screen_3_1.jpg

Now, would you be happy with any of these screens? Its been about 7 weeks now since we got the TV, the amount of hassle and stress this has caused. I have had to take days off for the engineer. Samsung suck, in my case anyway. I know the pics do not show a proper picture, as the camera can make them look worse, but still surely these are not acceptable for £1500. I purchased this from Reliant TV's, they seem like a good site and might be receptive to me swapping the TV. Dont think I can go with and LED again!

What would you do? Demand a new TV? Another screen?

Thanks

Spence

Last edited:
Demand a replacement and get an OLED!

Amazingly, Samsung do not believe me and have to send another engineer round to check that screen 3 is bad, they will not view it by picture. When they have done that, they will basically recommend another screen replacement or "if your lucky" another model of their 2017 range. Absolute joke. I'm pissed.

Amazingly, Samsung do not believe me and have to send another engineer round to check that screen 3 is bad, they will not view it by picture. When they have done that, they will basically recommend another screen replacement or "if your lucky" another model of their 2017 range. Absolute joke. I'm pissed.

Quote the consumer rights act of 2015 you should not have to put up with that and get the retailer to give you a full refund or replacement.

Buy law and under you warranty they are only allowed to ask you to have the tv repaired once if you still have the same issues after that they have to replace the tv or give a refund
Also due to how pathetic manufactures are with the TVs I’m critical of any tv I get first only ever order the tv online then if there are any faults with the tv in the first 30 days you can ask for a refund or replacement without needing to give them a reason why

You have an edge-lit from the bottom model here with high peak brightness and some form of local dimming. Nicely illustrated for screen 3 with the sides dimmed and the colums where the box is on screen lit (screens 1 and 2 are obviously faulty).

Here's what someone posted some while ago in a user review:

1CB5GT14GvqBHRq.jpeg

And properly exposed (to more match reality so it shouldn't be too surprising they can't properly judge based of user pictures).

1CB5GTPhtr5UZOZ.jpeg

So screen 3 doesn't really look out of the ordinary for this type but you could definitely get a better one. For your purposes I would give up on this model though ...

Hi

I agree with the above, most people have the backlight up far too high for a dark room, if we do that we see all the above problems. Simply turn the back light down and all those issues disappear and it becomes much nicer to watch.

Regards

Phil

Hi guys, I have changed the backlight to 7, was on 20 on UHD, and it has helped somewhat. Playing Aliens Isolation, you could still see some bleed, but not that bad. I had said to the shop, take this back and I will spend another £700 on getting a new LG B6 for £2200. But the shop totally ignored my request, twice. They have said they are waiting for the Samsung to get back to them. I was 12 days out of the returns policy (one month) but this was due to Christmas and the fact I could not get an engineer out earlier. After the first screen being faulty, I would have returned it right there and then.

I might just have to bite the bullet and deal with a bit of bleed, next time 1) do not purchase from this shop, and 2) buy and OLED!

Hi guys, I have changed the backlight to 7, was on 20 on UHD, and it has helped somewhat. Playing Aliens Isolation, you could still see some bleed, but not that bad. I had said to the shop, take this back and I will spend another £700 on getting a new LG B6 for £2200. But the shop totally ignored my request, twice. They have said they are waiting for the Samsung to get back to them. I was 12 days out of the returns policy (one month) but this was due to Christmas and the fact I could not get an engineer out earlier. After the first screen being faulty, I would have returned it right there and then.

I might just have to bite the bullet and deal with a bit of bleed, next time 1) do not purchase from this shop, and 2) buy and OLED!
Backlight on uhd/hdr is always ment to be 100 or max for the effect to work you should never turn it down or it pointless

It’s intents and purposes OP, not intense purposes. Good luck swapping your telly!

Failing to understand why you bought a KS model over an MU?

Failing to understand why you bought a KS model over an MU?

The KS range even though older is still way better than the MU range, the comparable range to KS now is the Q range and even then in some ways it’s not as good.

The KS range even though older is still way better than the MU range, the comparable range to KS now is the Q range and even then in some ways it’s not as good.

Not wanting to cause an argument etc, but can you tell me how the KS range is way better than the MU range, they're more or less the same thing? The S in KS stands for SUHD which they changed for the M range and renamed it Premium UHD instead so they changed the S to a U in the model numbers so you got MU instead of MS but essentially it's the same thing.

The Q range is QLED, a whole new Samsung range so the only comparable range to this one isn't even out yet.

I have a KS7000 by the way, just interested.

Not wanting to cause an argument etc, but can you tell me how the KS range is way better than the MU range, they're more or less the same thing? The S in KS stands for SUHD which they changed for the M range and renamed it Premium UHD instead so they changed the S to a U in the model numbers so you got MU instead of MS but essentially it's the same thing.

The Q range is QLED, a whole new Samsung range so the only comparable range to this one isn't even out yet.

KS has this over the MU range

Quantum Dot
Ultra HD Premium Certified
Wider Colour Gamut

The MU range is also significantly cheaper and the comparable one now for the KS7000 is now the Q7.

There maybe more differences but I have highlighted the biggest ones.

@BAMozzy can explain things in a lot more detail as to why the KS range is better than the MU range.

The MU is a replacement for the KU and the 'U' stands for UHD. None of these TV's have the Quantum Dot layer which was the reason they were 'sUHD' TV's. Samsung decided to rebrand the sUHD Quantum Dot TV's for 2017 as QLED or 'Q' series (because they have a Quantum Dot Layer) which is why there isn't an MS (maybe also because of Microsoft??). The QD layer gives these TV's the extra brightness and wider colour range to comply with the UHD Premium requirements.

The closest TV in 2017 to the KS7000 is the Q7 - Both of these are UHD Premium standard. The 'best' MU doesn't even come close to matching the KS7000 with HDR specs and NOT UHD Premium standards - granted Samsung have improved the MU over the KU a bit more than the Q series have been improved over the KS but the MU are NOT UHD Premium standard and offer up to around 600nits of Peak brightness in a 10% window - that would be good enough if it was an OLED but still not as Bright as the 2017 OLEDs. However, the UHD premium standard for LCD's is 1000nits. The KS series though hits nearly 1500nits - a massive difference and much larger colour volume thanks also to having more than the 90% DCI-P3 colour gamut - unlike the MU series.

The new QLEDs though are actually not as bright as the KS range but they do have a higher sustained peak brightness. The Colour gamut too has been improved slightly but essentially they are the same construction as the sUHD TV's with the QD layer at the back of the screen - something the MU and KU series don't have.

I don't know where you got the idea that a non QD layer, non-UHD Premium TV with much lower Brightness, doesn't even deliver the minimum DCI-P3 colour gamut coverage for UHD Premium either is a replacement for a Quantum Dot, which is all that's needed in 2017 to be called a 'QLED' according to Samsung, KS series TV.

Samsung may have bumped the prices up so the MU is now nearly as expensive and that also meant they could try and make the rebranded 'QLED' seem 'more' 'premium' and priced similarly to OLEDs but the fact is, the QLEDs are the 2017 KS models. In fact, Samsung actually never made a 'premium FALD Quantum Dot TV to replace the KS9500' in 2017 so they didn't actually make a TV that could compete with the ZD9 as was expected. Of course, the newer TV's may have had a newer version of Tizen and better support for iPlayer, HLG and HDR10+ - what you may expect from a 'newer' TV but as far as the MU is concerned - its a just a better KU series TV and not in the same league as a KS series TV.

Hope that now explains it....

I wouldn't accept those screens at all and certainly not representative of my experience. Even when outside the optimal viewing angle when the issues are significantly worse as well as the more muted colours (price of a VA panel!!), my TV is definitely nowhere near that standard.

I do use Local Dimming (Low for SDR and High for HDR when watching - both HDR and SDR are on Low for gaming) which helps but Dynamic Contrast on Low works exceptionally well in conjunction with Smart LED (Local Dimming)

Brightness I keep on 45 for all content too. Backlight is on 3-5 for SDR (Movie mode and never watch with the curtains open) and 17-20 for HDR. Currently been gaming a lot in HDR with backlight on 20 for hours on end and never see any issue with backlight - mind you, all the games are full screen. I do get a bit of haloing on black screens with the bright 'loading logo' in the bottom corner but its not excessive (enough to be visible and obvious, but more like a small aura (think the aura/glow round a candle flame) but 95% of the screen is pitch black - as if its 'off' and you can't see where the screen and black bevel meet. SDR Black bar on 21:9 movies are that Black too BTW. In HDR, I can see a slight, and I mean a very slight, unevenness if I really look for it and not all the time (depends on the image between the black bars). I don't notice when I watch something - only if I force myself to look at the bars - and that's in a darkened room (no additional lights/curtains closed).

Hi guys, well Samsung totally fk'ed me over - basically the engineer said he would send them a report detailing the last screen had a lot of bleed on it, and because this would be the 3rd screen now, he thinks they should send a replacement. Two weeks later and i will still waiting for Samsung to call, so I gave them a call and said have you got the report. I then got told the Engineer said everything was basically fine, and I was imaging it.

After all that, after taking time off - after the 20+ calls to them, the engineers and the TV retailer, they said basically deal with it. Additionally, the 3rd screen was not as good as the originals, the colours looked washed out, even my partner said so.

The TV place had washed their hands of me as well. As it was 12 days after the month. I asked him three times could I send it back and pay out another £700 to get the B6, and he ignored me.

So there I was left with a TV I didn't like, and felt abused and pissed off.

So, I write a horrible, but accurate, review on the TV retailer, depicting everything that happened. The TV retailer saw this and was "horrified". So, long story short. They took the TV back and sold me a B7 for £2300. So, if I had not left the review, I would have got nothing.

I will never buy a Samsung again!

Did you use a credit card to pay for it? Maybe contact them?

Hi guys, well Samsung totally fk'ed me over - basically the engineer said he would send them a report detailing the last screen had a lot of bleed on it, and because this would be the 3rd screen now, he thinks they should send a replacement. Two weeks later and i will still waiting for Samsung to call, so I gave them a call and said have you got the report. I then got told the Engineer said everything was basically fine, and I was imaging it.

After all that, after taking time off - after the 20+ calls to them, the engineers and the TV retailer, they said basically deal with it. Additionally, the 3rd screen was not as good as the originals, the colours looked washed out, even my partner said so.

The TV place had washed their hands of me as well. As it was 12 days after the month. I asked him three times could I send it back and pay out another £700 to get the B6, and he ignored me.

So, I write a horrible, but accurate, review on the TV retailer, depicting everything that happened. The TV retailer saw this and was "horrified". So, long story short. They took the TV back and sold me a B7 for £2300. So, if I had not left the review, I would have got nothing.

@SpencerK Where did you leave the review? Do you have a link to it please?

I am in a similar predicament with PRC Direct. My issue with the TV is different, mine keeps making frequent popping noises and on the loud pops a small patch of white light appears on the TV and is their permanently. I currently have 3 of these and the pops continue.

PRC Direct keeps telling me they need an uplift number and they will refund me, but Samsung say they should not be asking for this. These are given only to Currys and within 28 days. Surprisingly enough it was Samsung that suggested that the retailer can refund or replace with consumer rights, which had me asking questions here on the TV's avforums thread.

Really frustrated and getting nowhere. I've already had 2 repairs, Samsung is willing to look and do more repairs, but this is a new TV, I shouldn't have to keep moving my room around and expect engineer visits every few months for a defective and newly purchased TV.

I have also been onto CAB and emailed them. If I don't get a reply back tomorrow I'll see if I can catch their web chat open.

Last edited:

Glad you got there in the end but wow boy did you have to go through a lot to get it sorted, would also like to know the retailer so I can avoid them as well.

Just got a KS9000 through Ebay and it also has terrible backlight bleeding, the description of the item didn't refer to any screen problems and I think it's 'seller refurbished'? Does that mean I don't have Samsung warranty?

I also paid 50 pounds for postage, is that money lost in any way??

What would be the best way to handle this?

Just got a KS9000 through Ebay and it also has terrible backlight bleeding, the description of the item didn't refer to any screen problems and I think it's 'seller refurbished'? Does that mean I don't have Samsung warranty?

I also paid 50 pounds for postage, is that money lost in any way??

What would be the best way to handle this?
out of curiosity- whom did you buy from mate?

Ah ok, I almost bought one of them, seems like I was lucky losing the bid. Potentially getting one from another seller fingers crossed.

Ah ok, I almost bought one of them, seems like I was lucky losing the bid. Potentially getting one from another seller fingers crossed.
For what it is worth, I did call them up to check on warranty. They said it is return to base which means they attempt the repair .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom