Léon - Director's Cut 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Personally I don't think the loss of the theatrical cut is a big deal, after seeing the extended version I'd never choose to watch the theatrical version again.

Personally I don't think the loss of the theatrical cut is a big deal, after seeing the extended version I'd never choose to watch the theatrical version again.

Agreed, personally, although the completist in me would be annoyed by not having both. And it's surely unnecessarily frustrating for those who prefer the TC, however wrong they are, lol.

It's a while since I visited my iTunes Copy, but went over there just now. The US edition has both versions - Theatrical Release with DV but no Atmos (My error, thought it did 🤷‍♂️), the extended version as yet HD & again the usual ATV 5.1
Hopefully, iTunes will update the Extended version, & pop Atmos on both

Agreed, personally, although the completist in me would be annoyed by not having both. And it's surely unnecessarily frustrating for those who prefer the TC, however wrong they are, lol.
Are things like this are down to licensing for different versions in different territories?

Are things like this are down to licensing for different versions in different territories?

Maybe, as for years we only ever had the TC in this country. So perhaps that's owned by another company, and SC could only pick up the Director's Cut on licence for 4K.

It just seems like a missed opportunity to provide a perfect, complete package.

Sorry, I wish I'd read this before I wrote my rambling post above, some of which covers those extra scenes. Although not comprehensive, these are the extra scenes I can remember:

SPOILERS!!

- Leon and Matilda go to a fancy restaurant after her first 'proper' hit. It's a sweet scene which I wont spoil anymore. I would deem it 'essential though.

- Somewhat cheesy, but still very cool, montage of the two of them going to numerous bad guys' doors and breaking in. As I'd mentioned in my other post, the colour grading is a bit off in this sequence, but it hardly matters.

- Really interesting scene where Matilda wears the dress Leon had bought her and essentially propositions him, saying she'd like him to be her first. Leon, obviously, has no interest in this (given that he's actually the child out of the two of them). This leads to a game of russian roulette where Matilda makes him essentially choose 'love or death'. It's a tense scene, but it's fascinating. Perhaps most importantly however, it provides the context for when she sits up in bed, half-clothed, wearing make up the next morning! (the theatrical version therefore made one question what the bloody hell happened the night before?! Now we have our answer finally..)

There's a scene where we find out a bit about Leon's backstory, why he is the way he is..& why he's in the US working as a hitman. I'm 90% sure that's only in the extended cut. Sorry, been a few years since I last saw it...

Cool scene where Leon introduces Matilda to his, 'finance guy', Tony. Matilda lies about her age and gives Tony a very, very sultry look. Cool little scene, although not essential.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head i'm afraid. There are a few more bits I think, but these are the standout moments.
Post now with proper spoiler tags.

How to do here albeit Spoiler tag buttons now to the right of the emoji icon.

Thanks enormously for pointing out the US release, which I'd previously missed. I really can't stand the long version. Though the only copy of the theatrical cut I own is the Laserdisc, so it's not going to take a lot for that UHD to beat it.

Thanks enormously for pointing out the US release, which I'd previously missed. I really can't stand the long version. Though the only copy of the theatrical cut I own is the Laserdisc, so it's not going to take a lot for that UHD to beat it.
I'm not a fan of the longer version either. I pre-ordered and cancelled it when I realised there was only the director's cut. Not saying anyone is wrong if that's their preferred version - just not for me.
Bought Apocalypse Now Final Cut recently and was disappointed that it didn't include the original theatrical cut (guess I'll just have to chapter skip the French plantation scene from now on).
Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the US Leon release that's not too expensive?

I'm not a fan of the longer version either. I pre-ordered and cancelled it when I realised there was only the director's cut. Not saying anyone is wrong if that's their preferred version - just not for me.
Bought Apocalypse Now Final Cut recently and was disappointed that it didn't include the original theatrical cut (guess I'll just have to chapter skip the French plantation scene from now on).
Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy the US Leon release that's not too expensive?

Keeping an eye out on ebay is probably best. I just sold my copy a few weeks ago to make room for this I'm afraid! Not too keen on those super thin, flimsy cases they have in the US..

Post now with proper spoiler tags.

How to do here albeit Spoiler tag buttons now to the right of the emoji icon.

Cheers Garrett, much appreciated. Please excuse my technical incompetence...(!)

Cheers Garrett, much appreciated. Please excuse my technical incompetence...(!)
NP I'm still learning my way round the new update. ;)

Who cares about the extras and both cuts. Movie, picture and sound a perfect 10, yet it gets 8 overall. Have a word with yourself Cas 😉

So what you’re saying is @Casimir Harlow is that I need to ditch the US copy I’ve had for yonks and not gotten round to watching !

Well if you were a completist like me (cough *nerd* cough) you'd keep it just so you still have the theatrical cut even though you may never watch it.

Obviously you've got DV otherwise you wouldn't be asking, but the 'upgrade' is only for those a) with DV and b) who don't care about having the TC.

But you'll never compete with copies of Leon, I'm sure I've had at least a dozen on different formats, God knows how many steelbooks alone (and now 4K steelbooks lol). It's in my Top 5 movies of all time (along with Heat) so I try to cut myself some slack about what is borderline obsessive.

Of course the easy solution is to just win the competition and keep both.

Well if you were a completist like me (cough *nerd* cough) you'd keep it just so you still have the theatrical cut even though you may never watch it.

Obviously you've got DV otherwise you wouldn't be asking, but the 'upgrade' is only for those a) with DV and b) who don't care about having the TC.

But you'll never compete with copies of Leon, I'm sure I've had at least a dozen on different formats, God knows how many steelbooks alone (and now 4K steelbooks lol). It's in my Top 5 movies of all time (along with Heat) so I try to cut myself some slack about what is borderline obsessive.

Of course the easy solution is to just win the competition and keep both.
Actively dislike the longer directors cut.

Actively dislike the longer directors cut.

Then you need to actively keep the US disc and steer clear of this UK disc. It's Director's Cut ONLY.

Your score doesn't make sense, it's a 9 or a 10.... How you got a 8 from movie and picture, sound quality being 10, is absolutely beyond me.

Please do the right thing and at least make it a 9.. Who even cares about extras

I'm with Cas on this - the movie and transfer being a 10 doesn't detract from the fact that it should have had both cuts on. Simple. The US disc did, therefore this is a less than perfect package for a perfect film.

In this case, extras are everything - the theatrical cut unfortunately will be classed as an extra but its anything but. Its like if Fox/Disney put out a Directors Cut only of Aliens - I love Aliens. More than my daughter (don't tell her). But my preferred cut is the theatrical so not having that would be imperfect, even though every other element is.

If the directors cut of Leon is your preferred version, the review on the whole is a 10. If its not (me included), its an 8.

If you can still find it, there's a big fancy box version that has all three cuts in 4k as well:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Another release without the theatrical cut? IIRC the director's cut has cool action scenes but it also strongly implies there is a sexual relationship between them, and that is just gross.

I guess the movie industry just doesn't want me as a customer. Maybe they figure that only "enthusiasts" buy 4K movies physically and want to save money by only including one cut.

Another release without the theatrical cut? IIRC the director's cut has cool action scenes but it also strongly implies there is a sexual relationship between them, and that is just gross.

I guess the movie industry just doesn't want me as a customer. Maybe they figure that only "enthusiasts" buy 4K movies physically and want to save money by only including one cut.

To me, it makes clear that there isn't anything sexual in their relationship, whereas the DC leaves it hanging there, ambiguous. She tries to kiss him, he pushes her away.

Maybe not as strongly as I originally thought then, but still... ick.

The US version for me, hopefully around black friday time.

As already answered above (and in the actual review, and in this actual thread a few posts back) this is not the case.

The TC implies something *may* have happened between them because they wake up in bed together rather inexplicably.

The DC explains everything that led up to that point and shows very clearly that their relationship was not, nor ever will be, sexual.

But yes, the dropping of one cut (when both are already available in 4K by seamless branching) is ridiculous.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom