Question large room surround sound help

joysleep1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I currently have a large extension room roughly 5m by 5m. I currently have a 60 inch lg tv which i an going to upgrade to an 85inch in a few weeks. My main question is how to imrove the sound. I currenly have a yamaha ysp 2500 soundbar which is great to be honest.

I am only asking because we are getting our laminate re-done and i am thinking about getting some cables installed under it so no wires mess. The problem is that i have no idea what cables to get.

Is there some universal sound cables to get so that in the future if i want to get surround sound it is all set up in advanc?. Dont ask me which system i am getting because i have done no research as of yet. I just want to get the wiring done before my builder does the laminate so if in the future i am ready the wiring would not be an issue for me.

I hope that makes sense

Any help would be appreciated.
THanks

2.5 sq mm copper lines to each speaker will future proof you for anything you would install

2.5 sq mm copper lines to each speaker will future proof you for anything you would install

Thank you so much for that. Do you know which ones, are there good quality poor quality. Any particular brands?

Any links?

Thanks

Copper is copper so avoid expensively packaged copper. If you want a name Van Damme make good quality cables and also do LSZH versions. Not recommended is CCA - copper coated aluminium.

If price is an issue and you are fitting wall points for the speakers then you could use standard 2.5mm FTE cable between the boxes as it will not be disturbed, not so good where you need flexibility so stranded is best for the first/last metre.

Copper is copper so avoid expensively packaged copper. If you want a name Van Damme make good quality cables and also do LSZH versions. Not recommended is CCA - copper coated aluminium.

If price is an issue and you are fitting wall points for the speakers then you could use standard 2.5mm FTE cable between the boxes as it will not be disturbed, not so good where you need flexibility so stranded is best for the first/last metre.
Thanks mate

I am going to get it from amazon

Amazon product ASIN B01C79Z1FU
so there is so many options with the above link
In the future i would only need to speakers that are far away from the TV. One in each corner. Which one would you suggest?

Thanks

Can't advise on the speakers because they ideally should all tonally match so will depend on what you use elsewhere

The difference is really down to the speakers you choose. Larger speakers require more power so you'd ideally want the 4mm if that was the case.

I'd also rethink about just wiring it up like this
In the future i would only need to speakers that are far away from the TV. One in each corner.

That's not really ideal. If they're too far from the TV it would sound odd.

The difference is really down to the speakers you choose. Larger speakers require more power so you'd ideally want the 4mm if that was the case.

I'd also rethink about just wiring it up like this

That's not really ideal. If they're too far from the TV it would sound odd.

Oh so the larger the MM the better speakers you can get right?>

I dont understand why the configuration would not work. Its a TV in the middle wall and the sofa on the other side of the wall with one speaker on either side. How else can i arrange it?

Not true, the diameter of the cable is determined by the resistance of the speaker and the length of the cable - that's it, it has nothing to do with the size of the speaker or amplifier power. Have a look at this table for exact sizing
and too convert to awg to sq mm

Your front speaker shouldn't be in the corners of the room unless your TV fills virtually all of the wall it's on, which at 5m x 5m is not going to be the case.

They're too far apart and too far from the TV. You also want to avoid putting speakers in corners in a lot of cases.

How far is your sofa from the back wall?

Again, speakers in the corner may not be ideal.

Are you going for 5.1, 7.1, are you planning on Atmos at all?

Speaker placement is not the same for 5.1 and 7.1 for example.

Your front speaker shouldn't be in the corners of the room unless your TV fills virtually all of the wall it's on, which at 5m x 5m is not going to be the case.

They're too far apart and too far from the TV. You also want to avoid putting speakers in corners in a lot of cases.

How far is your sofa from the back wall?

Again, speakers in the corner may not be ideal.

Are you going for 5.1, 7.1, are you planning on Atmos at all?

Speaker placement is not the same for 5.1 and 7.1 for example.

Sorry maybe i did not make it clear

So the TV is on the wall. The sofa is around 15 feet covering the whole back wall. Yes the front speakers will go just under the tell on the stand. I am assuming the rear speakers can be on the corner sofas for a surround sound experience right.

Sorry not sure i understand 5.1 or atmos. I am just assuming the rear speakers will sit on the corners . I cant put them anymore behind cos the wall is finished.

Anyways. I think 4mm is probably the best bet. So each cable can plug into 1 speaker. So i need the 4mm x 2 15m one right?

I think you really need to do a bit of reading and learning and decide what you want.

If you just want 5.1 then that should be fine, but if you want more you need to plan for it now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom