Question LED strips for rear of TV?

chenks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm looking to put some LED strips on the back of the TV just to produce some ambient lighting (not necessarily to match what's on screen).
any recommendations from people?

I have a philps hue system in place already (room lighting), but the strips are expensive for what i'd use it for.
i looked at some of the Govee products.

You want Led backlight strips, most are usb powered so can plug into your TV, get white which are 6500k as that's the closest white to your screen.
I got these but in white which they don't seem to have.
Amazon product ASIN B01A8K33QE

I paid £8 for USB powered cool white last year.
Does the job, although I have white walls anyway

I'm quite "Hued" up, so I went with the Hue strips for my TV's.

Yes, they're expensive, but if you use Hue and have different settings for rooms then it will blend it all in together in one app.

If you don't there's plenty of decent but cheaper ones on Amazon and ebay.

sorry, should have clarified, it's coloured LED strips i'm looking for, not just white.

if the hue strips weren't so expensive then i'd probably go with that, but £60 for 2 meters is nonsense!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I bought a strip from the bay to go round my daughters 42" telly.
They are multicoloured and have a remote.
It's not angled for the corners but it doesn't have to be.

actually, connectors for the corner are better, you don't end up having to bend/crumple the LED trip round the 90 degree turns.

i will be avoiding the cheap chinese ebay types though, they are generally poor at best.

Actually it works perfectly without.
Crumple? Not sure what exactly you're doing with it.

I bought the same one years ago and it worked fine until I removed it myself while moving.

ok explain how you got the led strip to do a 90 degree turn whilst keeping it flat to the TV.

It doesn't need to be flat,it doesn't make a difference to the result...unless maybe you have aesthetics ocd with hidden items. 20200731_123816.jpg

yep as expected, a horrible solution.
some folk may be happy with that mess, i'm not.

I'm quite "Hued" up, so I went with the Hue strips for my TV's.

I'm curious how you've mounted yours. The biggest problem I have with the hue strips is the god damn power supply so if you need more than strip or use more than one strip you end up with a bundle of the things like this.

Attachments

• gtopk6zuips31.png
    gtopk6zuips31.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 153
Hue strips plug into each other, so I only need one power supply which got stuffed down a hole in the wall with the HDMI and TV power cables.

So basically you get 4 strip of led light with flexi connecter connects them together. installation is east easy enough. It come with usb port so you can just connect that to your tv and it will power off that.

Hue strips plug into each other, so I only need one power supply which got stuffed down a hole in the wall with the HDMI and TV power cables.

don't you need to have seperate controllers if your strips are running independat of of each other? ie one on the left, one on the right and one at the top?, in that situation you've essentially got 3 unique strips and they would each need their own controller box with power?

if you were using them in a hue entertainment zone then you would set them up like that.

I'm not interested in ambilight effects as I find it just a gimmick.

I have 4 other Hue lights in the room so they all work together but I don't want them flashing and dimming in time to a TV show or music.

I'm just saying that might be the reason for that cabling structure in the photo

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom