LG 48-inch CX (OLED48CX) TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
nice review!

unfortunately 99% of the people living on earth have been very disappointed with the TV...
why ? price ! it is way too expensive and in many countries the 48" costs more than the 55" !

INSANE !

Looking forward to other retailers getting hold of the non specific Currys exclusive model so we get some competition on pricing, waiting patiently to pull the trigger on one of these to pair with my gaming PC!

HDR10+ is almost dead. Most of the popular films especially catalog have Dolby Vision. Most streaming providers are offering DV and its already an integral part of their production pipeline. Also next gen gaming consoles have announced support for Dolby Vision. I really don't see it as a negative unless its a checkbox exercise.

I do have a Panny GZ OLED that supports HDR10+ but I haven't watched a single content with HDR10+.

nice review!

unfortunately 99% of the people living on earth have been very disappointed with the TV...
why ? price ! it is way too expensive and in many countries the 48" costs more than the 55" !

INSANE !

It does look insane but there is a reason behind this. Please do some reading on this.

Also most of the people who bought this are hardcore gamers and I am sure most of them are super happy with it.

nice review!

INSANE !
I was going to purchase the 48" but it was cheaper to grab the 55". I think it will need some more time for the 48" to get more mainstream.
There is a reason for this. To keep it short, it's to do with the way the 49" screen is manufactured. They get as many 49" sheets as they do 77"sheets from the same single panel. Unless that changes, which is unlikely, it will always be expensive, maybe even always more expensive than the 55".

Last edited by a moderator:
As soon as Panasonic release this panel I'm all over it. My ideal second lounge telly.

There is a reason for this. To keep it short, it's to do with the way the 49" screen is manufactured. They get as many 49" sheets as they do 77"sheets from the same single panel. Unless that changes, which is unlikely, it will always be expensive, maybe even always more expensive than the 55".

I think this is the excuse for the time being, I reckon its more to do with the fact the only retailer selling this currently is Currys. John Lewis, Richer Sounds etc. will all get hold of the model in 2 weeks time roughly, and then we should see some competition going into Black Friday.

@Coulson yes i read about that...still in maybe a year it will drop in price...maybe

I think this is the excuse for the time being, I reckon its more to do with the fact the only retailer selling this currently is Currys. John Lewis, Richer Sounds etc. will all get hold of the model in 2 weeks time roughly, and then we should see some competition going into Black Friday.
No. This is exactly what is happening. Just Google it for a full explanation of the manufacturing process.
@Coulson yes i read about that...still in maybe a year it will drop in price...maybe
You never know :) If they can't sell enough of them then maybe. Not a nice thing to wish for but at the moment that's the only way prices will drop by a decent amount.

I was going to purchase the 48" but it was cheaper to grab the 55". I think it will need some more time for the 48" to get more mainstream.

nice review!

INSANE !

It does seem crazy on the face of it but there are reasons why the 48" OLED's seem overpriced and, in the case of the CX, is more expensive than the 55" model currently. This video explains it well.

It does seem crazy on the face of it but there are reasons why the 48" OLED's seem overpriced and, in the case of the CX, is more expensive than the 55" model currently. This video explains it well.
I was going to link to this video, but I've changed my stance on linking to other reviewers inside a review thread. But it's done now and it is useful so... :)

Thank you for the review.

I don't really pay any attention to the scoring for my own decision-making, but I have to question how you can give a TV a 9 overall when it doesn't have 4 of the 5 major catch up services?

That is an absolutely huge oversight that is very important for a large number of consumers looking for a high end TV.

If manufacturers were marked down more significantly for such omissions (which almost certainly come down to cost savings), perhaps they'd be less likely to inconvience the consumers buying the sets.

The majority of people who walk into Curry's or John Lewis to buy a TV don't want to get home to find out they can't watch any catch up TV without adding an external device.

I would suggest those people would be pretty miffed to find the score of 9 out of 10 ignored the fact that a basic feature found on most sets for 25% of the price was absent.

I would suggest those people would be pretty miffed to find the score of 9 out of 10 ignored the fact that a basic feature found on most sets for 25% of the price was absent.
I would hope they have read the review that clearly states that Freeview Play is missing and that some apps are not here. Many other TVs have apps missing that are available on other TVs, it's one of those things that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and the platforms they use. Freeview Play missing is an issue between LG and Freeview Play, but LG has said they will try and add the missing apps by agreeing on terms with those channels separately. BBC iPlayer is now available. The overall score is for much more than some apps, but I am very clear that they are missing in the review text. The CX is still a 9/10 for the vast majority of its performance.

I was going to link to this video, but I've changed my stance on linking to other reviewers inside a review thread. But it's done now and it is useful so... :)

The link has now been removed anyway. Didn’t mean to break any forum rules. :blush:

It was BBCiplayer that most were really missing anyway, and now the LG has it, in time LG may acquire the other's like ITVplayer, C4/C5 players, personally could not care less about them though.

Looking forward to other retailers getting hold of the non specific Currys exclusive model so we get some competition on pricing, waiting patiently to pull the trigger on one of these to pair with my gaming PC!

It’s started already. Curry’s have knocked a whole £10 off!

That’s £300 off the 55”, £400 off the 65” and a tenner off the 48”. :D

It was BBCiplayer that most were really missing anyway, and now the LG has it, in time LG may acquire the other's like ITVplayer, C4/C5 players, personally could not care less about them though.
All4 is still a bit of a killer. There's so much content on there.

Thanks for reviewing the CX48. I've owned it since Currys first made them available earlier this year. I use it as a movie/gaming/productivity (mainly the latter since we've all been working from home!).

If you are buying a high-end gaming monitor then the CX48 is seriously competitive regardless of price. FALD monitors at 144hz, ultra widescreen cost > £2k. Even then the performance doesn't match the CX48.

@Phil Hinton Great review :) . If you still have the tv at hand, could you please measure the distance from the bottom of the screen to the top vesa mount hole? As my desk is fairly narrow i can't use the provided stand and wall mounting is not an option. So i have to fabricate a stand myself. Or in other words how high is the electronics "hump" on the back?

HDR10+ is almost dead. Most of the popular films especially catalog have Dolby Vision. Most streaming providers are offering DV and its already an integral part of their production pipeline. Also next gen gaming consoles have announced support for Dolby Vision. I really don't see it as a negative unless its a checkbox exercise.

I do have a Panny GZ OLED that supports HDR10+ but I haven't watched a single content with HDR10+.
I thought Amazon Prime has some HDR10+ content, if not, where are HDR10+ content for steaming?

Is the Iplayer showing content in 720P?

It doesn't say what video quality it's showing on Iplayer, no does it say on the BBC website link but I think it's not in full HD.

I thought Amazon Prime has some HDR10+ content, if not, where are HDR10+ content for steaming?

I have no idea as I don't watch dramas. Vast majority of my viewing are movies (discs / iTunes) and 95% of these are DV.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom