Question LG 49SM8200PLA or PHILIPS Ambilight 50PUS8204/12 for gaming?

Kyro08

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey there. I'm looking at buying a new TV primarily for gaming. I've been looking at TVs for roughly two weeks now with the BF deals popping up but for the £500 I'm looking roughly to spend I'm swayed between these two. Also I picked these because of the central stands.

Can and of you TV wizards give me a helping hand. Buying a TV a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

I also did take a look at the Hisense U8B but for gaming I don't think it will be that great with nearly 40ms latency.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
U8B is by far the better option. Input lag is fine for gaming, in fact. There's not a TV sold today with input lag that is too high like there once was.

Its also closer to 30ms, not 40.

I've got the philips 50pus8202 on order but seen some comments regarding picture quality. Would the lg49sm8500pla be a better option. Max size I can fit is 50inch .Replacing my old panny vt30 and worried it'll be a big step down

I've got the philips 50pus8202 on order but seen some comments regarding picture quality. Would the lg49sm8500pla be a better option. Max size I can fit is 50inch .Replacing my old panny vt30 and worried it'll be a big step down
They use different panel types so can't be compared. See: IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD types found in TVs

LG at 49" is always IPS.
50" models, no matter the manufacturer are always VA.

49SM8500 will have better motion, but worse overall picture quality than the Philips unless you need wide viewing angles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom