Question LG B6 OLED: Suspected Failed Power Board

dtobin

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This afternoon the TV just shut down while in use and since then has not powered back up.

It tries and the red power light does come on but all we get is a clicking noise every now again.

It sounds to me like a failed power board and a cursory Google search supports this idea.
Unfortunately the TV is out of warranty as it was purchased through a work scheme and only came with 12 months as standard.

All of which brings me to my question(s):

Has anyone ever replaced a power board on their TV? Was it easy enough for someone comfortable with taking electronic devices? Any experience with reputable parts suppliers?

Not the best time to lose the living room TV 😢

Thanks for any advice.

If you can source the part it looks easy enough,though i would be careful unlike this so called professional.

That's a strip down of a B8 i would imagine there's not that much difference to a B6.

George

Came back to life this morning after a night unplugged from the wall.

I guess I’ll find out soon enough whether it was a one-off or the start of an increasingly regular pattern.

Yeah, several times.

Maybe it’s just getting used too much due to lockdown.

We’ll see

Same issue! Did you fix it?
Same day that I just purchased the PS5, and christmas holidays coming :p

I opened it up, nothing looks burned or such. But I’ve also found a lot of info pointing at the power board

Are you sure it is not the 1000 or so hours panel / pixel cleaning proceedure. The OP's post suggests that may have been their issue.

In my case, I can only turn it on for 1-2 seconds. then it shuts off automatically. This can’t be by design right?

I mean I can start it up, I see the picture for a couple of seconds but before I can do anything (like hit settings on the remote) it shuts off.

Never had another issue with mine. Still in use by someone else in the family.

Alright, thanks for letting me know.
I guess I’ll just have to wait. Only 2 years and 4 months old, never had any issues with TVs before.

Hi,
owning a LG oled 65B6V (from 2017/03), and today i started to show the exact same issue as you have:
-watched Netflix, most likely powered by down by accident for break (although i though i'd used pause).
-when powering up, it seemed to be in a loop, just shows an input for few seconds, and then it looks like power is cut
-hear some relays clicking, and it is powering up again. and above process repeats endlessly
-removed every input one by one to make sure it's no power draw or CEC issue, but no difference.

tried to powerdown TV for longer time, but no difference.

I noticed, when keeping the power/joystick pushed, it does NOT power down, and it mostly seems to ignore that button. everything seems to work as usual (while button still pushed).
Only drawback seems that i can not power down TV.

With that workaround, i no longer feel the rush to buy a new TV today :), although i would like to have it fixed.

With above fix is reset my TV to factory default setting, but no difference at all.

With this finding, the power board is just fine i would say. but something commands the TV to shut off.
Dust crossed my mind but i didn't open-up the TV yet.

Maybe this finding might help out as intermediate solution, and hopeful help to find permanent fix.

I think i should be able to view some logging somehow, ideas are welcome.

Attached my workaround setup, a small cup with small bearing on top, wooden ice stick and a beer cap, to push the button.

Attachments

• workaround.jpg
    workaround.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 65
No, it means it just started working again 🤷‍♀️

Hi, an update, just in case it might help another in the future.

it works as normal again (without pressing power button all the time)

In addition to previous :
After testing various power-cycles, even with hours without any power applied, no difference.
(checked spare remotes if they had battery or not, but none had)

Then, executed a pixel refresh, switched auto power of (which was set to 4h) to off and back on again, set power-save schema to maximum (just to prevent further burn-in)

And started just using the TV as usual.
at the end of the day, tried to power-down, and removed the artificial power-button press mechanic.
After removing the mechanic, i noticed, no unplanned/undesired power-cycle took place.
power-down on remote didn't still work, but shut it down using the joystick/menu to power-down. and from there it just works again as usual, and remote power also works again.

Not sure what actually fixed it, just time(about 12 hours past since issue appeared) ? pixel refresh? turning off/on auto power-off after 4 hours, power-save to max save? I don't know.
Showing up the first of January raised also an eyebrow with me

So no hard fix, but maybe my info might provide some additional help for another in the future.
The discovered workaround keeping the power-button joystick pressed helped me to during the day and change some settings and perform reset.

Arjan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom