LG B7 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

SKYS HDRHLG service, what presents have you used , Cinema(user) or something else. Standard is retina burning
Cinema home in a bright room, and Cinema with dynamic contrast turned off in a dark room for me.

I hadn't realised that you could adjust picture settings with Sky's HDRHLG service. I watched the first episode of The gangs of Lemur Island on Sky Nature and thought the picture was very good indeed. Is the default picture mode Standard for HDRHLG?

I hadn't realised that you could adjust picture settings with Sky's HDRHLG service. I watched the first episode of The gangs of Lemur Island on Sky Nature and thought the picture was very good indeed. Is the default picture mode Standard for HDRHLG?

I think the poster was talking about the settings for the TV rather than the Sky Q box.

Looking back at my post I can see why you might think I was referring to the Sky Q box settings and not the television. I did actually mean the television as I know you cannot do very much with the Sky Q box for HDR. I simply assumed that once the HLG HDR kicked in that was it as far as picture adjustment options were concerned. I will check out the settings on the tv tonight to see what it's like.

Looking back at my post I can see why you might think I was referring to the Sky Q box settings and not the television. I did actually mean the television as I know you cannot do very much with the Sky Q box for HDR. I simply assumed that once the HLG HDR kicked in that was it as far as picture adjustment options were concerned. I will check out the settings on the tv tonight to see what it's like.

Ok, I see what you mean now. I tend to leave it on the default HDR HLG which is Cinema User (on my B8). The other option would be Cinema Home which gives a slightly brighter picture but I find the Sky HLG content to be bright enough already.

SKYS HDRHLG service, what presets have you used , Cinema(user) or something else. Standard is retina burning

I use Technicolor HDR. I would use either that or Cinema (user) these are the most accurate out the box.

Have a b7 and all of a sudden keeps on switching on and off on its own. Unplugged everything and still the same. Obviously something is wrong with it and looks like a motherboard or power unit failure. Anyone else encountered this over the years?

Probably be a coincidence or could even have been my amp but mine switched off for no reason earlier today.

Looking to possibly get a Sonos arc for this tv, how can I find out what audio format the tv handles? I can’t see anything listed in the manual.

This is on off every 3 - 5 seconds and can't even get into the menus.Have got the extended warranty but just going to be a faff around getting through to anyone and getting someone out to repair it 😢

Ah. No that's not what happened to me. All I can suggest is unplug it from the mains and leave it overnight in case there's a charge built up somewhere that might need to dissipate.

I'm no expert but worth a try?

Ah. No that's not what happened to me. All I can suggest is unplug it from the mains and leave it overnight in case there's a charge built up somewhere that might need to dissipate.

I'm no expert but worth a try?

Yeah, have done this and will try it in the morning. Looking online looks like a common fault with lg tvs. Bit strange as watching TV and thought one of the kids was messing with the remote 😄. Oh well. Just hope I can get someone out if needs be.

Still love my 55" B7. Best TV I've ever owned.

One question: I turned of all the processing stuff, was this the right thing to do? I use Sky+ HD.

Still love my 55" B7. Best TV I've ever owned.

One question: I turned of all the processing stuff, was this the right thing to do? I use Sky+ HD.
Yep.
I like a tiny bit of Trumotion, dejudder 3, but I have everything else turned off.

Yep.
I like a tiny bit of Trumotion, dejudder 3, but I have everything else turned off.

Do you keep that for Blu-rays as well? I have an AVR so I assume the picture settings get applied to all the AVR's inputs as the TV sees it as one.

Do you keep that for Blu-rays as well? I have an AVR so I assume the picture settings get applied to all the AVR's inputs as the TV sees it as one.
Not necessarily. It depends if I notice judder.
AVRs do take away the ability to have different settings for each device, so I work around it.
I have two near identical daytime presets, cinema with Trumotion off, and ISF bright with it on, but exactly the same apart from that, and two night presets, technicolour with Trumotion off, and ISF dark with it on.
For Sky I always use the Trumotion presets because it’s never 23.976fps and I feel it needs it.
For Blu-ray, and Netflix etc, I try with Trumotion off and switch back if judder annoys me.
It only takes a couple of seconds to switch presets, so I don’t mind that at all.
Just a thought, I assume you have Real Cinema switched on. It needs to be for Blu-rays with Trumotion off.

Hi, all. I use a Sony IBP-X800 Ultra HD Blu Ray player with my B7. When viewing 4K HDR blu ray discs, I notice pretty much all of them have serious compression issues with sky shots. It does this with some other shots too. I notice it happens when running 4K HDR games on my PS4 too, so I don’t think it’s something wrong with the players I’m using. I’ve got high speed HDMI cables and connected the blu ray player directly to the B7 to test it so I don’t think it’s my receiver either.

it looks fine when it’s 1080p HDR and when it’s 4K SDR, but then the compression comes out when it’s 4K HDR. Does anyone know what could be causing that? I’ve turned off as many of the artificial enhancers as I could across several picture settings. Here’s an example from “1917,” but I notice this occurs in other 4K HDR discs like John Wick and Infinity War. Any advice is appreciated.
130A10E0-747C-47FB-8B08-1EB4F4EC4BF5.jpeg

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me.

My B7 appears to have broke last night. Was watching it as usual and it turned off. Tried to turn it on and it turns on with a black screen and a weird greenish light along the bottom half of the screen, then it turns off. I tried it a few times and it continues to do this. Unplugged it and left it overnight, tried it again this morning same issue, unplugged all HDMI's and everything, still nothing.

Does anybody have any experience of this and getting it fixed?

I bought the TV from AO in April 2018 so had it for just over 2 years and it came with 1 year warranty so unable to use that.

I've taken care of this TV, no bumps or anything and its been primarily used for gaming.

I have spoken to Citizens Advice, AO and LG.

AO says they are willing to pay a certain amount towards a repair, but I need to get it repaired first, LG gave me the quote of 399, plus extra if it turns out the TV needs significant repair (a whole lot of money!), the 399 is an upfront cost. AO will not tell me how much they will contribute so I am a bit uneasy about just shelling out this amount of money for them to give me a small amount.

So I'm in a bit of a situation, I need to prove to AO that this TV has had a fault and its nothing to do with me really. Citizens Advice have said I should send a letter to AO outlining my rights, asking for them to reply within 7-14 days, mentioning a AVR Scheme (not sure what that is) and saying I am within the rights to ask for a full repair and refund.

Not sure what action to take, but this TV is the most expensive one I've ever owned and it seems a bit daft for it to just die overnight. I really like the TV and never had any major issues with it. The only issue I have had is a weird line/banding down the centre that happened about 6 months ago and one dead pixel that happened at the same time. It was only ever noticeable on really bright oranges and yellows so never been that much of an issue, unsure if its linked to the problem I am currently having.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a B7V with a Sky Q box plugged directly into the TV (with no soundbar).
When I play a Dolby Atmos film on the Sky Q box, 'Dolby Surround' appears on the TV top right corner. Shouldn't it say 'Dolby Atmos' like when I play an Atmos film using the TV's Netflix app?
In the TV settings I've enabled 'Dolby Atmos' and 'Dolby surround', and in the settings of my Sky Q box I've set it to output 'Dolby Digital +'.
My Sky Q box is a v3 1TB UHD box.
Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me.

My B7 appears to have broke last night. Was watching it as usual and it turned off. Tried to turn it on and it turns on with a black screen and a weird greenish light along the bottom half of the screen, then it turns off. I tried it a few times and it continues to do this. Unplugged it and left it overnight, tried it again this morning same issue, unplugged all HDMI's and everything, still nothing.

Does anybody have any experience of this and getting it fixed?

I bought the TV from AO in April 2018 so had it for just over 2 years and it came with 1 year warranty so unable to use that.

I've taken care of this TV, no bumps or anything and its been primarily used for gaming.

I have spoken to Citizens Advice, AO and LG.

AO says they are willing to pay a certain amount towards a repair, but I need to get it repaired first, LG gave me the quote of 399, plus extra if it turns out the TV needs significant repair (a whole lot of money!), the 399 is an upfront cost. AO will not tell me how much they will contribute so I am a bit uneasy about just shelling out this amount of money for them to give me a small amount.

So I'm in a bit of a situation, I need to prove to AO that this TV has had a fault and its nothing to do with me really. Citizens Advice have said I should send a letter to AO outlining my rights, asking for them to reply within 7-14 days, mentioning a AVR Scheme (not sure what that is) and saying I am within the rights to ask for a full repair and refund.

Not sure what action to take, but this TV is the most expensive one I've ever owned and it seems a bit daft for it to just die overnight. I really like the TV and never had any major issues with it. The only issue I have had is a weird line/banding down the centre that happened about 6 months ago and one dead pixel that happened at the same time. It was only ever noticeable on really bright oranges and yellows so never been that much of an issue, unsure if its linked to the problem I am currently having.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
[/
Hi. Even tho it's only 2 years old, you only really get 12 months warranty ( unless you took out a longer one?) ..... However it really should last a longer time than that......which is why I'm presuming citizens advice have said to email/write to them to put some pressure on them to give good customer service.
Myself I Would do that, put it into the strongest words you can without getting abusive.

So technically they don't have to..... But this is very poor and let them know you've written to citizens advice.
Unless someone with better knowledge can say different?
I do work in retail and understand both sides however they need to step up and do the right thing.

Good luck.

@Barneyrubble uk I don't know for sure about this but I think I have read before that when you buy something you should expect a certain amount of use from it. I'm not sure where I saw this but I think that it is in some kind of consumer protection legislation. I would have a look and see if you can find out anything about it. I think that you are well within your rights to expect a TV that costs as much as an OLED B7 to last well over 2 years, as do most retailers that give you a 5 year warranty.

@Barneyrubble uk I don't know for sure about this but I think I have read before that when you buy something you should expect a certain amount of use from it. I'm not sure where I saw this but I think that it is in some kind of consumer protection legislation. I would have a look and see if you can find out anything about it. I think that you are well within your rights to expect a TV that costs as much as an OLED B7 to last well over 2 years, as do most retailers that give you a 5 year warranty.
Yeah you're absolutely correct. That's why citizens advice have told @AcidicUK to write to them first and they have made an offer of paying towards getting it fixed ....they SHOULD help but technically don't have to....Might need to keep on at them.

Looking to possibly get a Sonos arc for this tv, how can I find out what audio format the tv handles? I can’t see anything listed in the manual.
Can’t tell you the full list but DD+ Atmos is fine from the inbuilt apps and Apple TV 4K box plays with Atmos as well. I assume the TV is converting the MAT stream to DD+ Atmos but it does so well with no sync issues.

Atmos via Xbox is too out of sync. Only lip sync issue I cannot resolve is Sky Q (no surprise there). I am very impressed with my Arc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom