LG B7 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

OK, if someone with a bigger brain wants to weigh in, please do feel free.

Dolby Digital (+) and DTS are basically just not as high fidelity as the HD formats. The HD formats carry more information, and therefore are able to convey more ... ... well ... more everything.

Lemme put it in the MP3 analogy that you used, but add a layer. If you listen to the MP3s of (i dunno ...) THE PRODIGY's FAT OF THE LAND on your phone speaker you might think that it's absolutely fine. But if you then play the FLAC files of the same album, through a decent DAC to your stereo, you're *actually* going to hear things that you didn't before.

That's a bit extreme ... but you maybe get the point.

Essentially, though, it's all in the ... ear ... of the beholder. So if you don't feel like you'll benefit from the usage, then just don't bother.

One reason that you *might* want to bother with a SHIELD or another Android/Apple box ... is the LG spying. If you're not pi-holed or doing clever router stuff, your LG *literally* sends the file name and other related information up to LG ... even if you don't play it. Not a problem if all your files are completely legal ... but what if cousin Jimmy plugs in his hard disc of p... potentially troubling stuff when he's house-sitting?

Anyway ... if I were to give purely personal advice? I'd say just get a Shield, or maybe a cheap Android TV device to see how you feel. Can you borrow one? Or have someone show you the difference?

Also ... do you have an XBox One S/X?

I’ve just noticed this on both top corners of my B7
8BED9E15-ABAA-4095-A5A2-57E86E9FF1FB.jpeg
79984F96-3AE5-4B2F-A0A3-D6BAB4BF3CCB.jpeg
79984F96-3AE5-4B2F-A0A3-D6BAB4BF3CCB.jpeg

I've recently bought a Yamaha HTR-2071 av reciever and have it set up with the B7. I have it plugged into the hdmi out on the reciever and into the HDMI inputs on the TV (I've tried all of them) but I can't get any sound when using the TV apps such as netflix. I've used the test tones on the set up menu and can hear all speakers. This is my first av reciever. I didn't realise things would be so complicated! Can anybody help me

I've recently bought a Yamaha HTR-2071 av reciever and have it set up with the B7. I have it plugged into the hdmi out on the reciever and into the HDMI inputs on the TV (I've tried all of them) but I can't get any sound when using the TV apps such as netflix. I've used the test tones on the set up menu and can hear all speakers. This is my first av reciever. I didn't realise things would be so complicated! Can anybody help me
Use HDMI2 on the TV. Make sure you are using the ARC HDMI port on the AVR. Turn on simplelink on the tv and make sure HDMI-CEC is enabled on the AVR. Then you should hopefully be able to set the tv audio output accordingly.

@KyleM
To add to @fat jez answer,
Assuming all Yamaha menus are the same, go to setup > HDMI. Turn on HDMI control and ARC which together with TV sound output set to Optical/HDMI ARC should see you sorted.

@KyleM
Assuming all Yamaha menus are the same, go to setup > HDMI. Turn on HDMI control and ARC which together with TV sound output set to Optical/HDMI ARC should see you sorted.

Thanks, I've never used a Yamaha amp, always Denon or Marantz, so other menus are foreign to me

@KyleM
That's worked a treat! I finally have audio. 3.0 sounds so much better than stereo. Now I need to buy some surrounds.

While I was moving the TV onto a new stand me and the misses got a lot of hand prints on the bottom of the screen. Does anyone know how to get them off? And also to clean the screen in general?

While I was moving the TV onto a new stand me and the misses got a lot of hand prints on the bottom of the screen. Does anyone know how to get them off? And also to clean the screen in general?
Use a dry microfibre cloth first. Do not get aggressive. Rub gently.
If that doesn’t work, make the cloth slightly damp. Don’t overdo it, you don’t want drops of water on the screen, then polish with a dry microfibre cloth before it dries.
If you only have one cloth, keep most of it dry and just make a small section damp.
I find it easier to not do the whole screen at once, so I do it in small squares.

Anyone else ever had a thing where the TV just stops channeling surround?

For an entire day, yesterday I could only get stereo out of the ARC channel from Netflix and Amazon, which meant that some soundtracks literally had no spoken audio. About 73 restarts, testing videos, and downloading the dolby access app to test later, I think it's working (atmos from seinfeld) but I really do think that my HDMI board is scah-rehhhhwwwed. (that and the constant forgetting that the AVR is an AVR and can do AVR things)

Use a dry microfibre cloth first. Do not get aggressive. Rub gently. ...

... and then use the cloth on the screen, right?

CasualWhistle.gif

Last edited:
Anyone else ever had a thing where the TV just stops channeling surround?

For an entire day, yesterday I could only get stero out of the ARC channel from Netflix and Amazon, which meant that some soundtracks literally had no spoken audio. About 73 restarts, testing videos, and downloading the dolby access app to test later, I think it's working (atmos from seinfeld) but I really do think that my HDMI board is scah-rehhhhwwwed. (that and the constant forgetting that the AVR is an AVR and can do AVR things)

... and then use the cloth on the screen, right?

View attachment 1295179
That’s an old bug that hasnt happened to mine for ages, but yes, the centre channel goes silent. It affects ARC, optical, and the internal speakers, everything in other words. God knows what the cause is, but it’s usually easily fixed by unplugging the tv.

AND, I strongly recommend using the cloth on the screen first.:nono:

Just left Sky and have started using the built-in iPlayer on the B7.

I am seeing a frame skip/drop on Normal People and DEVs. Seems very regular, like a framerate conversion is going on. All my settings are correct regarding True Motion etc. I don't see this when using the NVidia Shield iPlayer app (set to 50Hz).

A particular scene to see the problem is Normal People Ep.7 14min 14sec in on the exam scene when the camera pans.

Anyone else have/see this issue?

Just left Sky and have started using the built-in iPlayer on the B7.

I am seeing a frame skip/drop on Normal People and DEVs. Seems very regular, like a framerate conversion is going on. All my settings are correct regarding True Motion etc. I don't see this when using the NVidia Shield iPlayer app (set to 50Hz).

A particular scene to see the problem is Normal People Ep.7 14min 14sec in on the exam scene when the camera pans.

Anyone else have/see this issue?

Have you got Trumotion enabled?

No - exactly the same settings as the HDMI input the Shield is connected on. All other built-in apps are fine. From a limited test live streams through iPlayer are OK too. Do you have this TV? Could you watch that scene on the built-in iPlayer?

Yeah, mine too. It looks very much like a 25fps programme being converted to 60Hz. That’s what my Firestick is reporting anyway.

OK, thanks for checking - at least it's not just me going mad. As I say fine on the shield app - so must be unique to the WebOS version, which is as old as it can be by the looks of it (updated 2017).

Maybe it's just these programmes as well....

I don't think the iPlayer app is set to 60Hz on the B7 - when a signal is 60i/24p on mine I get access to the True Cinema option in the settings menu, it is greyed out when the signal is 50i/25p

Checked another show - I'll Get This and it happens on this as well. Seems like only LIVE streams are unaffected.

Last edited:
I don't think the iPlayer app is set to 60Hz on the B7 - when a signal is 60i/24p on mine I get access to the True Cinema option in the settings menu, it is greyed out when the signal is 50i/25p

Checked another show - I'll Get This and it happens on this as well. Seems like only LIVE streams are unaffected.
I’m not sure either. I wish this information was a button press away instead of us having to take educated guesses.
I just checked it on the Firestick which does say 25fps at 60hz and it‘s awful. That panning shot is a judder fest, far worse than the built in app, but both of them are flawed.
FWIW, the Apple TV plays it smoothly. Good thing you have the shield

Been gone for over a year now. Are the black levels still borked in absolute darkness on latest firmware?

Only looking for responses from people who saw this before, any anecdotal comments about it never being there, or can hardly notice it now arent helpful.

SKYS HDRHLG service, what presets have you used , Cinema(user) or something else. Standard is retina burning

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom