LG B7 OLED - Wont turn on properly - Has it died?

AcidicUK

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I was just doing a bit of gaming on my LG B7 (late 2017 model) and it just turned off.

I thought it was weird so tried to turn it on again via the remote, the tv came on with a black screen and a faint green hue across the bottom. It then turned off again. I tried it again and the same thing happened but the green tinge colour was fainter, it turned off again. I tried again and now it turns on briefly, shows nothing but a black screen and then turns off again.

I tried unplugging it for 10 mins, plugged it back in, same thing. Tried removing all HDMI's and cables, same thing.

So does anyone have an idea, did my tv just die or has a component died which causes this issue?

I've had the TV for about 2 years and its had heavy gaming use, it developed a line down the centre and one dead pixel bout 6 months ago, the line/banding has become slightly worse over time, but was never really that noticeable, only appearing on certain colours like bright yellows for example, not sure if this is linked to the issue I am now having.

I am out of warranty so do you think I will have to get someone out to repair it, I've heard LG OLED repairs are pretty pricey and aren't great.

(Sods law this also, was looking forward to throwing Last of Us part 2 on it this Friday, arghhh lol)

Thanks

If those basic steps to rectify the problem haven't solved it, then it sounds like your TV is obviously faulty and needs repairing or replacing.

The first thing I would be doing is contacting the retailer to see what they say - despite the fact it's out of warranty, you still have certain rights under the Consumer Rights Act for up to 6 years after purchase and if you paid with a credit card, this can help even further. I'm not sure what going down this route means in practise, but I don't think that anybody could claim that 2 years is an acceptable lifespan for a £1000+ TV - far from it !

If those basic steps to rectify the problem haven't solved it, then it sounds like your TV is obviously faulty and needs repairing or replacing.

The first thing I would be doing is contacting the retailer to see what they say - despite the fact it's out of warranty, you still have certain rights under the Consumer Rights Act for up to 6 years after purchase and if you paid with a credit card, this can help even further. I'm not sure what going down this route means in practise, but I don't think that anybody could claim that 2 years is an acceptable lifespan for a £1000+ TV - far from it !
Thanks for the reply.

I have been in touch with citizens advice they recommended i get in tough with who i bought it off, AO.com, and let them know the tv appears to be broke. I've rung AO and they have explained that since the TV is 2 years old its out of warranty, but they are willing to pay towards a repair if I get a quote. I am currently on the phone to LG to see if I can get a repair sorted out.

Heard repairing an OLED is pretty pricey and can sometimes cause even more issues so not entirely thrilled about this.

Dunno what else I can do though, I guess a letter to AO about consumer rights and acts and how the tv is broke due to no fault of my own?

I've never had to make a claim like this so can't advise based on experience, unfortunately. It'll definitely be wise to play it nicely with AO to start with, however if they don't want to get too involved from the start then you're likely to have to pay for an engineer to come out and inspect the TV though.

Repair cost will obviously depend on the part that needs replacing. Individual boards may be in the £100-£200 region I guess, but there would be a call-out and/or labour fee added to that. The real cost kicks in once a screen needs replacing.

It might be worth posting in the LG TV forums or the B7 Owner's Thread to get an idea of the potential cost of getting an engineer out and what a possible screen replacement would cost, then it'll all boil down to what AO want to contribute.

I've never had to make a claim like this so can't advise based on experience, unfortunately. It'll definitely be wise to play it nicely with AO to start with, however if they don't want to get too involved from the start then you're likely to have to pay for an engineer to come out and inspect the TV though.

Repair cost will obviously depend on the part that needs replacing. Individual boards may be in the £100-£200 region I guess, but there would be a call-out and/or labour fee added to that. The real cost kicks in once a screen needs replacing.

It might be worth posting in the LG TV forums or the B7 Owner's Thread to get an idea of the potential cost of getting an engineer out and what a possible screen replacement would cost, then it'll all boil down to what AO want to contribute.

LG said its 399 to come and collect and additional charges may happen based on what needs repairing, which seems absurdly expensive but I did expect it. I have let AO know and they have said that it does sound expensive but they will contribute towards the cost, will not give me any figures on how much they will pay though. Could be a tenner for all I know haha.

What I do know is that this seems to be a fault with the TV and nothing I have done, which seems to me that going by consumer rights I should technically be eligible for full cover of costs on repair or even a replacement, it's just proving to AO that this is the case. 1500 TV should last much longer than 2 years right? Which kinda leave me in a bit of a pickle as I kinda don't wanna send it to LG for 399 plus the chance it costs more, just to find out what the issue actually is, and not knowing how much AO will contribute to this. Hmm.

Considering sending a letter to AO outlining the rights and how disappointing it is but to be fair, their staff have been as helpful as they can be so far. Kinda just want it sorting with least amount of hassle and least amount of money being paid but thats not usually how these things go is it haha!

I'll check out the B7 owners thread as advised, cheers.

Personally, I wouldn't be paying LG £400 to take away the TV without knowing what AO's contribution is and what the full cost will be. I would have thought a screen replacement might easily push that towards a 4-figure sum and people have been picking up 55" 2019 OLEDs for around £1000 recently, so spending anywhere near that to repair a 2017 model would not make sense.

It's a tricky, chicken-and-egg situation, for sure.

A couple of years ago, my old phone stopped working. It was out of warranty. I contacted the retailer who were very apologetic about it being out of warranty, and helpfully gave me contact details for LG who may be able to repair it at my cost. I politely informed them of my consumer rights, their obligations, and what I expected from them . Next day, I was sent the contact details to arrange a courier to come and pick up my phone, and LG to repair it, free of charge.

Don't be swayed by the retailer being helpful and friendly - it's just business, so there's no reason why both sides can't be polite and helpful and friendly. If AO can get you to pay, say, £200 towards the cost of repair, then they have saved themselves £200, and the person that dealt with you will get a pat on the back from their manager.

In your shoes, I would contact them, inform them of your rights, and what you expect them to do. Be polite, concise, and clear.

Good luck!

A couple of years ago, my old phone stopped working. It was out of warranty. I contacted the retailer who were very apologetic about it being out of warranty, and helpfully gave me contact details for LG who may be able to repair it at my cost. I politely informed them of my consumer rights, their obligations, and what I expected from them . Next day, I was sent the contact details to arrange a courier to come and pick up my phone, and LG to repair it, free of charge.

Don't be swayed by the retailer being helpful and friendly - it's just business, so there's no reason why both sides can't be polite and helpful and friendly. If AO can get you to pay, say, £200 towards the cost of repair, then they have saved themselves £200, and the person that dealt with you will get a pat on the back from their manager.

In your shoes, I would contact them, inform them of your rights, and what you expect them to do. Be polite, concise, and clear.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I'm thinking of going down this route from the most recent outcome. Not prepared to pay 200 let alone 399 + extra. I am going to give AO a ring and send them a letter outlining my rights and what I expect.

Hopefully some good will come of it and I'll report back with the outcome.

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom