LG C8 Lip Sync Issues

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

Are you aware of the reported issues? Do you think is been over played, as these things can be on the forums, or do you think updates to the TV/Sonos have since fixed the issue? Do you have any thoughts on the issue? Thanks :).
No I'm not.

That is excellent news! Do you still have a C8 and soundbar available for testing further?

The ARC lip-sync reports had me worried, though these fears were confirmed when I used an old 5.1 system on my C8 and also get the lip-sync issue that others are reporting. This was just for testing's sake before buying an Atmos soundbar.

Is there a couple in particular you would recommend to pair with the C8. I believe you mentioned something about the Samsung N850 was not able to do Atmos/DD+ over ARC. Would the LG SK9 or 10 be the better buy?
I still have the C8 because its mine, but no soundbars at the moment. I've had a couple of Yamaha soundbars recently, and they were fine over ARC.

I still have the C8 because its mine, but no soundbars at the moment. I've had a couple of Yamaha soundbars recently, and they were fine over ARC.
Hi,
Have you tried any receivers hooked up to your C8?
Do you get lip sync with it?

Lip-sync issue over ARC seems to be OK now. I may be speaking too soon and may jinx it lol, but hopefully it's OK

I'm not sure what sorted it, it may be a combination or just a single setting tweak.

I've been in the settings on my old 5.1 system trying to get it to match-up for days with no joy.

Then Steve's comment got me thinking, he's tried new soundbars and receivers, all probably 4K capable and so he probably has to enable HDMI Deep Colour on the TV for HDMI2(ARC). I thought I'd try sticking that on despite the lack of 4K/HDR passthrough on the old 5.1 setup I am testing.

I think this may have helped as things seemed closer, that or I toggled something else somehwere too. The Xbox seemed a lot closer but still quite poor and unwatchable really.

I tried the PS4 Pro with Uncharted 4 and it seemed to be working OK over ARC. I tried the PS4 YouTube app and it seemed perfect.

I tried C8's Netflix app and that seemed good. I tried C8's YouTube app and that was oddy still off. I checked the C8 audio adjustments were at default values and I then popped back into the 5.1 system, it was set back to 0ms for a lipsync setting. I scrolled through 100s of values and got to Auto, figured I'd try that.

It worked. Even though 0ms was good for C8's Netflix and good for PS4, for whatever reason the C8's YouTube app doesn't like it - auto seems to have sorted it.

I am not 100% sure if enabling HDMI Deep Colour for the ARC HDMI2 port had any real signficance or not, but I think the Xbox improved a bit after this.

Though improved, there was still a noticable delay with the Xbox set to Dolby or DTS. Stereo works, but it's not exactly what anyone would really want.

Assuming it stays working at least those 4x full-bandwidth HDMI ports can be put to good use and passthrough other devices to a soundbar.

It's a shame about the Xbox One X having a Bitstream delay over ARC. My thinking was the Xbox could stay connected directly to the C8 and keep both SDR and HDR in Game picture mode, and no longer use the console as a 4K disc player - as it does not seem likely tbat the Blu-ray Xbox app is getting a DV update. Some games do support Atmos, if they are lossy DD+ then I guess this could ARC passthroigh. Either way, the main appeal was just not having to mess with settings, and a Dolby Vision 4K UHD would be connected directly to to the soundbar.

Hi,
Have you downloaded and installed the new firmware .20.
If so do you still get lip sync?
Want to know weather to buy the Sony or not.
Thanks

I have, and it's made bugger all difference.

This is the only issue I have with my C8 and it's starting to drive me a little insane. There was a negative offset in the a/v sync menu in previous generations, Sod's law that the year they remove it is the year it's needed!

LG have done nothing to fix lip sync problems in previous years, I don't expect that to suddenly change.:(

Brilliant, thanks for the info.

Are you aware of the reported issues? Do you think is been over played, as these things can be on the forums, or do you think updates to the TV/Sonos have since fixed the issue? Do you have any thoughts on the issue? Thanks :).

Hi Autopilot, this issue hasn't been overplayed, it definitely happens. I can create the issue and get rid of it by applying a work around. I say work around but all I'm doing is setting the sky Q box to stereo. LG are looking into this at the moment but they can't re-create the issue which I find amazing. It doesn't just happen with Sky Q it also happens with my Blu Ray player. All tv apps like Netflix, amazon and catch up are fine

Yes that worked fine.
Hi Steve, when you tested the Beam did you go into the sonos app and check that the signal it was receiving was Dolby Digital and not stereo? I didn't notice anything first of all apart from all the sound from all tv apps was far better than Sky, so this got me poking around and that was when I discovered that sky Q was set to stereo. Changed it over to Dolby and that was when the nightmare started :)

Hi Steve, when you tested the Beam did you go into the sonos app and check that the signal it was receiving was Dolby Digital and not stereo? I didn't notice anything first of all apart from all the sound from all tv apps was far better than Sky, so this got me poking around and that was when I discovered that sky Q was set to stereo. Changed it over to Dolby and that was when the nightmare started :)
I don't remember to be honest, I had the Beam in for review nearly five months ago.

I Just bought a 65C8 and have the same issues on ARC.
I recorded the video/audio from build in YouTube in slow motion and put it in Adobe Premiere, it seems like a 25ms delay from video to audio via ARC. Only 7-8ms using the build in speakers.
If only LG or Sony (my new STR-DN1080 surround reciever) had compensation with minus, this would fix it.

YouTube, NetFlix and Amazon Prime work fine with the internal speaker.

YouTube with HDMI ARC connected to a Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar has sound sync issues but Netflix and Amazon Prime are fine! Adjusting the sync on the bar makes things worse so it can't be corrected via the sound bar.

I didn't have this issue with my 2015 OLED TV so this problem is VERY annoying!!!

I will report this to LG.

Have the b8 and sj5 LG soundbar.any one able to tell me how to fix the lipsyc on sky q?its like the sounds before the lips move. Drive me insane

Had my C8 55 for almost 2 weeks. Loving the visuals and ease of use. My receiver is 1.4 so it is now only running audio with ARC. Virgin Media STB and PS4 Pro direct into TV and using onboard apps. Got the audio sync to my liking with all sources, then applied the .20 update. Dynasties change was amazing. Onboard sync is fine but the STB and PS4 Pro now well out (picture is lagging audio). I've tried all settings, and any manual adjustments just make it worse. Is this a source system, TV or receiver adjustment? Seems this thread is mostly about Sky boxes, anyone else with Virgin Media problems? Are those without any problems plugging all devices via a receiver as I did before?

Have the b8 and sj5 LG soundbar.any one able to tell me how to fix the lipsyc on sky q?its like the sounds before the lips move. Drive me insane
The only workaround available is to set the audio on the Sky Q box to "Normal" (which is stereo only) and wait for a firmware update from LG.

As some others have said, this seems to be a problem on a range of LG sets (maybe not all of them but certainly quite a few) - I have a 43UJ750V LED TV and have exactly the same problem with it for external devices playing bitstream Dolby Digital over HDMI ARC.

Last edited:
I got my c8 3 week’s ago and while I love the picture the lag is doing my nit in. I have a pioneer vsx-930 amp and normally 8 would simply run everything through the amp to the tv.
However, while my amp can pass hdr via an update it refuses to update (I keep getting errors) so I have to rely on arc, which is where my problems are. This would be fixed if you could set -figures for the delay. Would my problems be so,fed if I simply purchased a new amp and run everything directly through it?

Hi Dee1888, welcome to hell! Funny thing is I’ve never had any lip sync issues before on any telly I’ve owned. I buy a supposed Best Buy and here we are One thing I would say though is for me it’s the audio lagging the video and the main problem with that is that any adjustment on a any of the boxes I have will just let you delay audio further!
Does anyone know how to run a test like the ones you see on you tube. Every time I run one it seems to show its ok but it clearly isn’t...any ideas?

I got my c8 3 week’s ago and while I love the picture the lag is doing my nit in. I have a pioneer vsx-930 amp and normally 8 would simply run everything through the amp to the tv.
However, while my amp can pass hdr via an update it refuses to update (I keep getting errors) so I have to rely on arc, which is where my problems are. This would be fixed if you could set -figures for the delay. Would my problems be so,fed if I simply purchased a new amp and run everything directly through it?
I'm in the same position and coming to the conclusion I need either a new amp(!) or some way of splitting the video and audio from the source, although that could introduce new lags, and I have 2 sources. Going via the TV I am also losing HD audio from Blu rays on my PS4 Pro, as ARC doesn't support it. Two steps forward, one back.

Still thinking of getting a Sonos Beam. How are people finding optical out with their LG? I think the voice control via ARC/CEC is pretty crap looking, happy to live without that, but would I be missing out on anything else?

Does the issue also happen on the E8 model. Three of my devices will be attached directly to my sound bar but at least one will (Apple TV or Sky Q) be via arc. So I assume I’ll run into the issue and if there is one thing that drives me mad it is audio sync

Do apps like Netflix through the TV show the same issue

I'm in the same position and coming to the conclusion I need either a new amp(!) or some way of splitting the video and audio from the source, although that could introduce new lags, and I have 2 sources. Going via the TV I am also losing HD audio from Blu rays on my PS4 Pro, as ARC doesn't support it. Two steps forward, one back.
It's a pain right? I've never used arc in the past so this is all quite new to me.

Does the issue also happen on the E8 model. Three of my devices will be attached directly to my sound bar but at least one will (Apple TV or Sky Q) be via arc. So I assume I’ll run into the issue and if there is one thing that drives me mad it is audio sync

Do apps like Netflix through the TV show the same issue
TV Apps are better, I've found, for lip sync. I will say it's only since the v20 firmware update that things have got worse on the audio sync front (for external devices).

Lip sync works better on the Virgin STB when it's set to PCM (stereo) output.

There's such a focus on the picture quality, and I do love it from that point of view, but it is unusable sourced from the STB and PS4 for me because of the audio.

Still thinking of getting a Sonos Beam. How are people finding optical out with their LG? I think the voice control via ARC/CEC is pretty crap looking, happy to live without that, but would I be missing out on anything else?
I did look into using optical out from the TV into the Beam. When I do that though I lose the ability to control the volume on the Beam, so I switched it back to HDMI. I applied the new firmware on Saturday and it has changed but I'm not sure for the better, that was why I asked I a previous post if anyone knows how to use the lip sync utilities you find on YouTube. Back to the beam though. In my opinion, when using the TV Apps like Netflix, amazon etc the sound is great (and in sync!!) I also love the fact that using it for Spotify is dead easy and sounds great. I don't think any of this is the Beams fault though, I'm sure I've seen earlier in this thread people saying they've had problems with LG's own soundbar.

Has anyone tried enabling various viseo processing options to see if that introduces a delay to the picture that may alleviate the issue?

With C8 and Denon over ARC I have the greatest problem with the iplayer app - especially on live channels.

Luckily lipsysnc isnt too bad on other apps such as Amazon. I suppose LG would blame the app just as it might blame an external box. If the audio is in sync with each video frame output by the app then the TV ought to know what extra audio delay is required according to the video mode/processing applied. If some apps are OK then maybe the iplayer app is to blame in this case.

I recently bought the C8 and I have 2 issues:

1) HDMI ARC does not work with my Sky HD box - as soon as I connect Sky to the C8 with HDMI, the ARC connection completely disconnects with my LG SJ4 soundbar (i.e. sound from all sources start playing through internal speakers). The Virgin Media box and built in apps work fine with ARC without sky connected. The only way I can get it to work is to not have the Sky box connected at all. LG are saying this is to do with the sky box and compatibility issues but I can't find the issue replicated online.

2) Lip sync issues (audio slower than video) when connected to my LG SJ4 soundbar - internal speakers seem fine, although maybe I just think they're fine because they're "more" in sync. Bluetooth connection is significantly bad, optical connection is better but it seems like there is still some slight lag. I've turned the audio sync adjustment on, and have tried the bypass option too. I feel like I'm going slightly mad just staring at lips the TV trying to determine whether the issue is still there via optical - are there any tests I can perform to see if the audio is fully in sync? Any advice appreciated!

The panel uniformity is relatively decent so I'm wary of getting a replacement.

I’ve had a gutful now.
I don’t understand why LG won’t let you set audio delay in minus figures like you could on the c7. I’ve spent over 2grand on this tv and I’m now going to have to buy another amp. WHAt a pain.
I’m currently using arc via pcm. I’ve lost the back speakers but at least I dont want to rip my eyes out anymore.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom