LG C8 Lip Sync Issues

It seems the majority use the internal speakers, or a soundbar connected via optical which seems to be not quite as bad - both are still out by >100ms though. Any sound going out of the TV in Dolby Digital could be delayed by half a second or more to any soundbar. I can only assume most don't use Dolby Digital or ARC. Crazy.
I can't understand how >100 ms delay is ok though, it is disturbing me terribly even 150 ms. Therefore I wondered if it might be affecting only some TV's. My friend has a B9 using with a Samsung soundbar with optical connection. He said he doesn't notice any lipsync issue. I am going to visit him and see with my own eyes as soon as the covid issue lessens.

I am sure you will notice it straight away. My wife doesn't notice the 100-200ms lag we get on everything as a minimum, but even she notices when it gets to 400ms+ which we have on the YouTube app for instance, and she's generally one of those people who don't notice that sort of thing.

One would think that video processing takes time... especially HDR. So why is the audio layer than video ?

My head hurts ... 🤪🙈😢

Simply because the software and hardware implementation is poor. There's no excuse. Other manufacturers get it right, LG have got it wrong.

I fear you are correct

Brilliant picture shame about everything else.

Don't get me started on the stoopid menu structure..... or the remote. Who puts a Start AND a Pause button, but no Next or Previous button for USB media ? Seriously !

Believe me, the menu structure and remote are leagues ahead of the Android-based TVs such as those from Sony. If you like pressing a button, then waiting 5 seconds to see if it's going to do anything or not, then those are ideal o_O

I have just upgraded my older 2018 LG LCD model with an LG soundbar (SL10YG) and immediately ran into lip sync issues. I did a lot of testing before arriving there - this thread is pure gold and can save people a lot of frustrations! I arrived at these conclusions while debugging:
  • It's the TVs fault, not the soundbar. I tried different soundbars with similar results. Audio is lagging video and the TV does not allow for compensation.
  • Wrt. output, audio is lagging most on HDMI ARC followed by optical followed by internal speakers. I have watched the TV for 3 years not noticing the small lag I have on internal speakers.
  • Wrt. sources, WebOS apps have the most sync issues, YouTube the worst, NetFlix bad, Plex acceptable. External sources are OK (antenna, xbox).
  • Routing audio to both internal speakers and optical lets you easily assess the delay on a particular source and see the effect of different settings.
  • Its apparently not limited to a single LG panel type or model year. :-(
Not really news-worthy, I know. I intend to keep my soundbar since Plex, XBox and DVBT-2 antenna are all acceptable in my case. I hope LG will fix this at some point. The fact that YouTube on WebOS with an LG sound bar is completely out of sync is mind-boggling.

Last edited:
I found out setting arc to auto (instead of passthrough) decrease the delay. Also I set lipsync in the service menu to -10 amd truemotion to 0/0 makes things better but still lagging though.

Last edited:
@devoker: how do you get to the service menus on LG TVs running WebOS? Access to a negative lip sync adjustment is exactly what we all need!

Clem

@devoker: how do you get to the service menus on LG TVs running WebOS? Access to a negative lip sync adjustment is exactly what we all need!

Clem
There is an app called service menu explorer for lg tv but you need to pay for pro version and you need an Android phone with ir blaster. Lipsync setting goes to -10 minimum but it is still a minor improvement like 50 ms. Even if you set it to -10 there is still audio delay.

A non-starter for me, sadly, as I've bitten the Apple ...

Clem

@Clem_Dye
E10F9133-78BE-47D4-AEFB-415386610B88.jpg

Sounds intriguing but 50ms is still nowhere near enough, plus it varies hugely; starting a film can be around 100ms out but be more than half a second out after half an hour or so!

We have an LG "repair" engineer coming out on Wednesday to check the TV. No doubt this will result in my TV losing all its settings and still having exactly the same problem, of course. I really hope they don't waste time (and electronics landfill) by replacing any circuit boards as that won't make the slightest bit of difference.

At least they've acknowledged this is part of a "Voice of the Customer to the President" case, for whatever that's worth.

All I got was yet another missive from LG technical asking me to jump through yet a load more pointless hoops to re-prove what I’ve already told them and what they already know. My previous report apparently had generated a VOC but there’s zero chance of a fix for existing LG TV owners. Any fix will surface in some future iteration of hardware and/or software that won’t be back-ported to older kit.

Clem

Sadly I have to agree... I shall still go through the process of letting the engineer convince himself/herself that it's a TV software problem and report this back.

I tried yestrday 5.1 on my setup q90r+ht-zf9 soundbar and i have audio lag on Ps Pro and Xbox X.....didnt checked it on my ex B7 but it seems that audio lag affect most or all "new" tv sets...insane.

Dose eARC help with this or no?

I tried yestrday 5.1 on my setup q90r+ht-zf9 soundbar and i have audio lag on Ps Pro and Xbox X.....didnt checked it on my ex B7 but it seems that audio lag affect most or all "new" tv sets...insane.

Dose eARC help with this or no?
No EARC dosentthelp. My C9 with Beosound stage (both Earc) also suffer from lip sync :-( I have tried EVERYTHING. Only PCM sound helps a bit. But no multichannel then. Because of LG not mowing SW forward

No EARC dosentthelp. My C9 with Beosound stage (both Earc) also suffer from lip sync :-( I have tried EVERYTHING. Only PCM sound helps a bit. But no multichannel then. Because of LG not mowing SW forward
what is your setup? are you using an external device with dolby audio?

what is your setup? are you using an external device with dolby audio?
The setup is C9-Beosound stage, ATVK direct in Stage. That helps a bit. B&O support doesn’t know what to do about in.

Nothing they or any other soundbar manufacturer can do, unless they invent time travel so the sound bar can go forward in time to see what the sound should be!

... or LG fix their WebOS operating system to include the negative lip sync option that is, apparently there in the older NetOS software. As @devoker showed, there is a lip sync option buried in the service menus, but this alone is not enough it seems.

This issue is either something that’s too complex for LG to easily fix, or they just don’t care. The fact that even if you point them to threads Like this, as I did in my email missive to the president of LG UK, they fail to get the message, and expect you to go through repeated testing (at your inconvenience) then I think that collectively we’re just all banging our heads against a metaphorical brick wall.

Clem

Well, the service engineer came out and I demonstrated it doing it on live TV and YouTube (Fully Charged Show :)). He took one look and said "It's the main board. Seen it loads of times. Knew what it was as soon as you said the sound and video are out."

So they will replace the main board sometime over the next week or two. Optimistic? No. But happy for them to give it a try seeing as he clearly knew it was a known problem. I shall keep you posted...

Well, if it is the main board then there must be an awful lot of LG TVs out there with duff mains boards ...

Clem

My thoughts precisely... the only sensible reason I can come up with is that they've replaced or updated the firmware in the video/audio processing chip which is well away from the user interface, apps etc chip. If that's not updateable via the internet then a motherboard change is the only option. Sadly given that brand new B9, C9 etc TVs seem to suffer from the same thing, I have very low expectations...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom