Question LG C9 DTS:X eARC pass-through Not working

EXTERMINATER260

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently bought the LG C9 OLED, the TV is excellent. I know that the C9 has HDMI 2.1 and supports eARC, which, as i believe, supports ATMOS and DTS:X pass-through. I use an Xbox One X as my main media center, including watching 4k Blurays. I am also using the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar, which supports eARC, Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X. My current configuration is (Xbox➡C9➡Soundbar) with eARC enabled and the Xbox is set to allow the AV receiver to decode audio for Blurays. The problem is, is when i play a DTS:X movie in my Xbox the DTS:X signal is not passed through to the soundbar. If i play a Dolby ATMOS movie the signal is passed through just fine and the soundbar displays Dolby ATMOS on display screen. If i connect my Xbox directly to the soundbar and then to the TV (Xbox➡Soundbar➡C9) DTS:X and Dolby ATMOS both work properly. Unfortunately if i configure the set up this way i loose the ability to us Variable Refresh Rate on the Xbox. I don't know if the problem is with the C9 not properly passing DTS:X to the soundbar or if its the soundbar not correctly detecting the DTS:X signal from the soundbar. Can this be fixed with a firmware update or am i doing something wrong?

Also would the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar capable of passing VRR signal through to the TV?
At the moment i can either get full audio capabilities by connecting to the soundbar and then to the TV or be able to use VRR but not DTS:X by connecting directly to the TV and then the soundbar. Is There not a way to get both VRR and DTS:X?

I recently bought the LG C9 OLED, the TV is excellent. I know that the C9 has HDMI 2.1 and supports eARC, which, as i believe, supports ATMOS and DTS:X pass-through. I use an Xbox One X as my main media center, including watching 4k Blurays. I am also using the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar, which supports eARC, Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X. My current configuration is (Xbox➡C9➡Soundbar) with eARC enabled and the Xbox is set to allow the AV receiver to decode audio for Blurays. The problem is, is when i play a DTS:X movie in my Xbox the DTS:X signal is not passed through to the soundbar. If i play a Dolby ATMOS movie the signal is passed through just fine and the soundbar displays Dolby ATMOS on display screen. If i connect my Xbox directly to the soundbar and then to the TV (Xbox➡Soundbar➡C9) DTS:X and Dolby ATMOS both work properly. Unfortunately if i configure the set up this way i loose the ability to us Variable Refresh Rate on the Xbox. I don't know if the problem is with the C9 not properly passing DTS:X to the soundbar or if its the soundbar not correctly detecting the DTS:X signal from the soundbar. Can this be fixed with a firmware update or am i doing something wrong?

Also would the Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar capable of passing VRR signal through to the TV?
At the moment i can either get full audio capabilities by connecting to the soundbar and then to the TV or be able to use VRR but not DTS:X by connecting directly to the TV and then the soundbar. Is There not a way to get both VRR and DTS:X?

Is the C9 set to pass-through mode in it's sound settings, from what I've read that is what enables eARC mode, Auto does not and defaults to ARC. ARC would pass DD+ Atmos but not TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X

As to any soundbars getting VRR, I do not know but more knowledgeable people than me on Blurbusters said it's unlikely due to technical reasons.

Yes, i have the C9 set to Pass-through. I'v tried both pass-through and auto, both allow Dolby ATMOS to pass-through but not DTS:X. I have noticed that there is a specific setting on the TV in the sound settings that toggles Dolby ATMOS on and off, and when you choose eARC Pass-through it become automatically selected to on. I wonder if there needs to be a setting like that for DTS:X to properly pass-through, and if it could be implemented in a future firmware update. I have sent an email to LG about this problem. An LG support agent got back to me and said the he was going to push my message through to the software development team to see if a fix could be added to a future update.

This from the Samsung website, referring to 7.1.4 audio
* This feature is supported only when the game console is connected to select 2019 Samsung TVs via HDMI (all QLED TVs, RU7400 series, and above). Game consoles supported include PlayStation 4 and Xbox. Compatible TVs and game consoles may change.** Game console purchase separately.

Would seem to exclude LG TVs.

The issue is with the tv
Apparently DTS has not released a DTS X chip for TV's yet but it's working with mediatek to release the chip by late 2019 or mid 2020.so I don't think the 2019 TV's support DTS X passthrough yet.
Expect it in 2021 or 2022 TV's
Screenshot_20191112-134251.jpg

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I have a very similar setup…LG C9, Samsung HW-Q950t soundbar, and a Sony 4K Blu-ray player. I have an eARC setup…everything plugged into the TV and the soundbar connected via the eARC HDMI cable. All cables are 2.1 and all three pieces are able to handle uncompressed DTS:X audio.

When I watch a 4K movie with Dolby Armos, it shows on the soundbar and the audio is great. When I watch a DTS:X movie the soundbar shows nothing and I get 3 channel audio. Not even 5.1 compressed audio. Not sure why it’s not working.

DTS X was working for me into a av pre and LG c9 but I was having other issues (pops clicks and audio drop outs) so I plugged devices into the av pre directly

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom