LG C9 (OLED77C9) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

This has to be the one to have surely. I think it’s the only one that may persuade me to upgrade from the 65DX902B which continues to impress after several years.

Great review Steve, agree with @lexicon sounds like the 77” to aim for.

The fact 10+ is the only con speak volumes.

Also glad to hear upscaling HD content to such a large screen doesn’t cause any issues.
I appreciate HD will be easier to scale but was concerned it may have the same affect of watching SD on a 65” v 55” (and that it’s really not good - completely avoiding SD content now).

Definitely have my eye on this size, yes it’s massive, but I’d imagine the immersion is incredible and a good option for those that don’t have the space/want the living room aesthetic rather than a dedicated cinema room.

Hi Steve, I hope you don’t mind me asking but I saw you recently sold your LG 65c8 OLED TV and I was just wondering which TV you have bought instead of it? Many thanks!

Since the stand is integral to the television's sound output, it seems rather awkward looking if you want to wall mount.

I'd imagine many people would want to wall mount a television of this size, not least because finding a stand both large and stable enough to accommodate this TV would prove difficult and expensive.

Otherwise this looks like the best 77 inch OLED on the market and a product I'll never be able to afford.

Hi Steve, I hope you don’t mind me asking but I saw you recently sold your LG 65c8 OLED TV and I was just wondering which TV you have bought instead of it? Many thanks!
I replaced my C8 with a C9, not because there was anything wrong with the C8 but because I need HDMI 2.1 for testing features like eARC.

"Great price for such a huge screen"?

pricecheck websites puts the c9 77 at ~2.5 times the price of it's slightly smaller cousin, the c9 65.
Outside the world of OLED, 75" screens start at 800€, while this one's 4500.

quick maffs:
55" vs 65": ~40% more screen area for ~45% more price
65" vs 77": ~40% more screen area for ~150% more price
It's a prestige price with no basis in reality, if it wasn't an optional purchase this would be labled usury, price gouging. Hardly "great price"

Last edited:
Thanks for another clearly written, explained and trusted review, Steve.
However, as you note in your article discussing the possible end-of-the-road for OLED developmentally, this smacks of more subtle changes than revolutionary break out features to upgrade for - particularly if you have a recent/lasts year's version., A lack of eArc is probably the only real bugbear (if not a gamer) for most owners of the former model.

It’s a great price compared what they started at a few years back and as 48” launches (as the 77” are cut from same sheet), I’m hoping the prices continue to fall.

Since the stand is integral to the television's sound output, it seems rather awkward looking if you want to wall mount.

I'd imagine many people would want to wall mount a television of this size, not least because finding a stand both large and stable enough to accommodate this TV would prove difficult and expensive.

Otherwise this looks like the best 77 inch OLED on the market and a product I'll never be able to afford.
I think if you are wall mounting the TV you would leave the sound deflector off not sure how much this would affect the sound but would think most people who spend this much on a TV would have a separate sound system.

I have the 65 inch version of this t.v and can only dream what this would be like in my living room because the 65 incher is an absolutely stunning set,oh well might get lottery ticket tonight and pray lol

I still think it's a design oversight.

Granted, many have outboard sound solutions, as do I, but I don't use my receiver for all content and prefer to use my TV's internal speakers if I'm watching, say, news programming.

This is quite an exclusive product and I feel a little more care and attention would have helped.

In every other regard this looks like an excellent TV and the pick of available 77 inch OLEDs.

"Great price for such a huge screen"?

pricecheck websites puts the c9 77 at ~2.5 times the price of it's slightly smaller cousin, the c9 65.
Outside the world of OLED, 75" screens start at 800€, while this one's 4500.

quick maffs:
55" vs 65": ~40% more screen area for ~45% more price
65" vs 77": ~40% more screen area for ~150% more price
It's a prestige price with no basis in reality, if it wasn't an optional purchase this would be labled usury, price gouging. Hardly "great price"
Value is always relative. It's my review and my opinion – take it or leave it!

What are you basing that on? All the Sony OLEDs I've tested recently have been really dim compared to the LGs. I'd take the C9 over the AG9 any day of the week.
I must have scored lucky then, this was on a 5% window before calibration
8EEB37F4-509F-4E4B-A7EF-AB52BD1252A7.png

Last edited:
Good review but major con should be no warranty on burn in,if you got burn in out of warranty(in waranty maybe they replace it but outside of one no) this will be expensive panel replacment and you cant sell it because panel is damaged.
My opinion is that this is mayor point in any oled review.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom