Question LG C9 or Panasonic GZ950B - or wait for CX price to drop?

jimdriver2

Established Member
Reaction score
I've decided to make the move to OLED this year. Upgrading from a Samsung KS7000 so hoping to see a big improvement. Sticking with 55" though due to space in the room, and keeping the wife happy!

I've been reading through the various threads on here about the C9 / CX and was leaning toward the CX, and waiting for it to drop a bit in price later this year.

However reading the thread on here about LG lip-sync issues has me concerned. I had to change AVR receiver after the first new Pioneer one I bought seemed to have some issue with my TV and had a minor but annoying sync issue that audio delay wouldn't fix.

The Panasonic GZ950B seems like it could be a good option, the 55" is currently at a really good price. Seems like as well the picture quality is highly rated and whilst it wouldn't have me future proof with HDMI 2.1 I'm not planning on getting a next-gen console, I'm a PC gamer. Not having eARC bothers me slightly, as my new Denon X2600h supports it.

A bigger issue with the GZ950B is the apps. It seems like it's quite poor in that regard and I want the TV apps to give me Atmos to pass through to the AVR. I got a Fire Stick 4K only to discover it only does it for titles on Prime! I don't really want to have to buy an Apple TV. My assumption is that the GZ950B may not even have Disney+ and Apple TV+ apps and if it does the Atmos support may not be great. Having a quick look at the GZ thread on here also suggests maybe some other Atmos issues. If I wait for the CX though I'm guessing the apps on that will all pass on Atmos fine, and hopefully any lip sync issues will be resolved.

What would folks recommend?

CX seems almost like a downgrade to C9 at least on functionality level. No DTS decoding on CX, not a full HDMI 2.1, I think I read also that it is considerably lighter then C9 (which means cost cutting most likely) and is more expensive :)

What about the lip-sync issues? There's threads throughout the web about that. This reddit thread makes it sound possible but fiddly to fix.

That was partly why I was waiting for the CX, hoping that would be sorted. Other threads on here suggest that the CX might actually be better and it was worth waiting for more reviews.

Feels like it's a case of picking your poison! Panasonic and don't get the app support you'd expect when paying this much for a TV or LG and pay more and potentially get awful lip-sync issues. (Lip sync issues do my head in!)

What about the lip-sync issues? There's threads throughout the web about that. This reddit thread makes it sound possible but fiddly to fix.

That was partly why I was waiting for the CX, hoping that would be sorted. Other threads on here suggest that the CX might actually be better and it was worth waiting for more reviews.

Feels like it's a case of picking your poison! Panasonic and don't get the app support you'd expect when paying this much for a TV or LG and pay more and potentially get awful lip-sync issues. (Lip sync issues do my head in!)

I don't think I have read about single case of lipsync issue with C9 when used with AVR. I read plenty reports when combined with soundbars without AVR.

I am also very sensitive to lipsync but had 0 issues with my C9 and 3600h. Just enabled lip sync options and it is perfect ever since not a single glitch.

CX seems almost like a downgrade to C9 at least on functionality level. No DTS decoding on CX, not a full HDMI 2.1, I think I read also that it is considerably lighter then C9 (which means cost cutting most likely) and is more expensive :)
CX has a third generation processor while C9 has a second generation processor. That is where you pay most of your extra money for, to achieve faster bright sharp and vivid images and data transfer. CX also has Auto Genre selection, can be very useful in automatically optimises picture quality depending on content you are watching. Both are the same weight 23Kg. CX uses couple of watts less power than C9 contribute to a saving of few KWh per year. Both has excellent clear and crispy sound quality of 40W output aided by Thinq AI. Good luck.

Thanks guys, good stuff to know.

I was surprised by the lipsync stuff I'd read as it was hard to imagine one of the most popular models having that issue.

I think I'm either going to jump at a great C9 deal (which probably aren't likely at this point, seems like existing stock is slowly diminishing at the £1300 price point) or wait out for the CX to creep into my budget. Or just let my budget creep up a bit... 😏

As an aside, don't compare weights of these TVs between US and EU - the european ones have a block of lead (joking) in the stand as part of the EU regs on TV stability.

Hi I've got a 65 inch GZ950 linked to a Sony avr and this is the first TV avr or soundbar setup I've had with no lip sync or arc issued it just works as for apps it sends atmos from Netflix and Amazon prime to the the avr with no problems. Disney plus have cut the bandwidth so no atmos on the firestick not the TV'S fault

you're really basing this question on reviewers, and they will tell you things like "this is the best picture ever". Until the next year when the new model comes out and then its "no, this on is the best picture ever". Guess what they'll say next year!

So the question is whether the new features (eg HDMI 2.1 bits, black frame insertion, eARC support etc) are worth it for the newer model. If you're still worried about lip sync, spend a little on a Nvidia shield or just a roku or other device and use that to source content rather than the TV. Other models have other problems that are blown out of proportion on the internet threads.

The GZ is a fine TV. And prices are as good as they'll get. Soon the model will be withdrawn and you'll only be able to buy the higher-priced 2020 model until black friday in Nov when the prices will drop to what the GZ is today.

Hi I've got a 65 inch GZ950 linked to a Sony avr and this is the first TV avr or soundbar setup I've had with no lip sync or arc issued it just works as for apps it sends atmos from Netflix and Amazon prime to the the avr with no problems. Disney plus have cut the bandwidth so no atmos on the firestick not the TV'S fault

Thanks, good to know about the Netflix and Prime apps.

I've been told elsewhere that Disney+ are still sending Atmos on the Xbox, just not other devices. Could be a bug or a choice on their part. I presume though of course that means the GZ950 has a Disney+ native app?

Does the GZ950 have an Apple TV+ app? That's the other one I'd like to be able to get Atmos out of.

Re: Sourcing content from other devices that was what I essentially did do, getting a Roku and a Fire Stick 4K, only to discover Atmos was supported patchily! The Shield probably is more reliable than those devices but given it costs £150 I might as well put that toward a TV that has decent native apps that do the job for me. That was my theory anyway.

I presume though of course that means the GZ950 has a Disney+ native app?
Nope, no Disney+ app on the GZ950, but it is a possibility that it 'might' arrive at some point. But don't buy it based on the 'might' as it is also very possible it will never arrive.
Does the GZ950 have an Apple TV+ app?
And again the answer is no.

I previously used a Panasonic plasma TV and the apps on that were also useless. As soon as the companies update their service the apps on the TV go out of date and no longer work. I've never owned an LG TV so cannot say how well they maintain their Smart apps.
So my advice is to get an external box for the Smart apps, I've got an Apple TV 4K and although expensive compared to many it has been rock solid in performance. The downside to the Shield is that you need to play around with the settings, apps etc. to get it to run smooth, so unlike the ATV it is not as easy as plugging it in and forgetting about it other than to use the apps.

Mark.

Thanks, good to know about the Netflix and Prime apps.

I've been told elsewhere that Disney+ are still sending Atmos on the Xbox, just not other devices. Could be a bug or a choice on their part. I presume though of course that means the GZ950 has a Disney+ native app?

Does the GZ950 have an Apple TV+ app? That's the other one I'd like to be able to get Atmos out of.

Re: Sourcing content from other devices that was what I essentially did do, getting a Roku and a Fire Stick 4K, only to discover Atmos was supported patchily! The Shield probably is more reliable than those devices but given it costs £150 I might as well put that toward a TV that has decent native apps that do the job for me. That was my theory anyway.
The GZ950 doesn't have a Disney plus app at the moment I use the 4k firestick just tried it and still no atmos just DD+ be surprised if any other devices have atmos from Disney at the moment because it's the stream not the device some people are using the Disney USA app with a VPN to get atmos

I have both C6 and C9 and never had a need for 3rd party devices for VOD services. Built in apps just work. No problems with DV, Atmos or anything else for that matter. No lip sync issues in any of them.

I use YT, Amazon prime and Netflix on daily basis.

My C6 65", still in active use, has Disney+ app (from day one of EU start of service, on 4 generations old TV) and all other streaming services are working flawlessly all those years later (LG provides regular updates)

I am fast becoming huge LG fan. They offer better technology at lower price point and make sure it stays working through years of use.

My father has Samsung TV where the most recent and the last ever to be released firmware broke WiFi. So he has smart TV which cannot connect to the internet not to mention that none of the apps had not worked correctly for months anyways. I will not start on Panasonic firmware updates or rather lack of them.

And LG use their own operating system, repetitively through the years recognised as the best out there, so they have expertise in this department as well rather then clunky Android, which is then left untouched without updates...

LG is on the rise. They want to be seen as premium brand so they make positive effort and this is great time to benefit from their aggressive pricing and great attention to details. Sony and Panasonic on the other hand are from overheated economies with obviously bloated structures as it is hard to otherwise explain their uncompetitivness. You pay for the brand only, not even for the features or updates or good user experience with their lesser systems.

Saved money you can spend on Pro calibration and have best picture as well... and you will be still saving money not to mention the other mentioned benefits which make LG Oleds IMHO far superior products.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Useful stuff to know.

The GZ950 plus and ATV is probably still less than a C9, which gives me another option to think about! :rotfl:

Thanks guys. Useful stuff to know.

The GZ950 plus and ATV is probably still less than a C9, which gives me another option to think about! :rotfl:
Do it right, get C9 ;) or CX :). You will save yourself a lot of frustration.

Do it right, get C9 ;) or CX :). You will save yourself a lot of frustration.
You did not mention about LG magic remote control which has a pointer and voice control and is the best one out there for recognising your voice making searching a piece of cake. I have a B9 and the 40W sound system is crispy clear, i understand C9 offers slightly better sound. Good luck.

Ok I'm convinced, thanks guys.

I think my plan is to keep an eye out for a great C9 deal (although that's probably quite unlikely) and then keep watch on the CX price.

Ok I'm convinced, thanks guys.

I think my plan is to keep an eye out for a great C9 deal (although that's probably quite unlikely) and then keep watch on the CX price.

I have the gz950 and I don't think you'd get lip sync issues with it. But I would be very surprised if you got lip sync issues with the c9 and your avr.
I reckon you'd be very happy with either... Both great tvs...

Hmm starting to think that just going for a C9 at it's current price is going to be the smartest option in my circumstances.

I'd not read up closely enough and had presumed the C9 didn't support eARC which my Denon X2600H does. I was obviously wrong given that if the native apps on the set can send out Atmos then it must be able to. This comparison made that clear as well.

I've also read that the C9 will be perfectly capable of supporting next gen consoles, in the unlikelihood I decide to get one.

From what I've read the improvements of the CX over C9 seem to be pretty minimal, and really something that won't bother me, especially as I'm going to see a massive jump in quality coming from my KS7000.

Price is quite a factor as well, the £1300 the C9 is at now is ideal. The CX won't get to that for months.

So one last question, am I being foolish/inpatient just going for a C9 right now?

Hmm starting to think that just going for a C9 at it's current price is going to be the smartest option in my circumstances.

I'd not read up closely enough and had presumed the C9 didn't support eARC which my Denon X2600H does. I was obviously wrong given that if the native apps on the set can send out Atmos then it must be able to. This comparison made that clear as well.

I've also read that the C9 will be perfectly capable of supporting next gen consoles, in the unlikelihood I decide to get one.

From what I've read the improvements of the CX over C9 seem to be pretty minimal, and really something that won't bother me, especially as I'm going to see a massive jump in quality coming from my KS7000.

Price is quite a factor as well, the £1300 the C9 is at now is ideal. The CX won't get to that for months.

So one last question, am I being foolish/inpatient just going for a C9 right now?
You are doing it right. C9 is sweet spot for performance to price ratio. It just ticks all the boxes and in some aspects is better and more future proof then CX (full hdmi 2.1 support Vs castrated in CX and DTS decoding which is no longer possible with CX).

It does support eARC. I am using it this way with 3600h.

Last edited:

If the BFI unlocks plasma motion on the this year's OLED models like the CX, then it is surely a no brainer if you watch SDR content to wait for the CX price drop.

Hi the C9 does support eARK and so does your avr so you can get lossless audio from anything connected to your TVs hdmi inputs but you mistaken about the TV apps the streaming services use lossy atmos which is DD+ with an atmos track which can be sent through arc so any of the TVs you have been looking at can send Dolby atmos from the apps to your avr

If the BFI unlocks plasma motion on the this year's OLED models like the CX, then it is surely a no brainer if you watch SDR content to wait for the CX price drop.

I have to be yet convinced to BFI. For me personally it is just a gimmick (at least this is how I see it by using it with C9 and in high refresh gaming screens). It can give you headaches (it gives me headaches). It is just emulation of something which is not native or present in Oled technology. They try to overcome technology limitation by multiplying the limitation (basically a brute force approach) and hoping your brain will not notice but at the same time overloading it with information to process. As it is not hard to imagine it can cause headaches. If your senses are on the sharper side you will notice it. It does not look or feel right to me in the situations I have tried it (and I had high hopes for it as I still keep my beloved high refresh rate PC CRT screen for its unmatched motion qualities). Maybe CX is a breakthrough here but I would have to spend some time with it to be convinced.

Last edited:
I've ordered the C9. It will come at the end of next week.

My existing HDMI cable whilst it should be good enough won't be long enough because of the position of my AVR on the TV stand. So I've decided to get a decent HDMI cable.

Can't decide between this one, which is labelled as premium certified, or this one which is labelled as 48Gbps. Which is a better choice?

I only need one as it will go between the TV and the AVR and everything else is going directly into the AVR.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've ordered the C9. It will come at the end of next week.

My existing HDMI cable whilst it should be good enough won't be long enough because of the position of my AVR on the TV stand. So I've decided to get a decent HDMI cable.

Can't decide between this one, which is labelled as premium certified, or this one which is labelled as 48Gbps. Which is a better choice?

I only need one as it will go between the TV and the AVR and everything else is going directly into the AVR.

Great TV. Enjoy.
If you can't get the amazon basics ones, I'd recommended these:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom