Question LG C9 or Panasonic GZ950B - or wait for CX price to drop?

I was going to go for the Panasonic however LG c9 was £400-£500 cheaper so went for that.

I've had both. Got rid of my GZ950 recently because of banding that showed up in most content and got a C9 instead and i do think the C9 is a better TV. There's not a massive difference between them though so go with what is cheaper imo. The GZ950 had a slightly warmer tone but the C9 looks a little more vibrant in HDR and for SDR i find the C9 to look slightly more clean and sharp, even with all processing off. Better responsive time for gaming and more features too, fantastic OS and remote which is a big deal for me because i do not like using external sources when streaming. So overall while both are fantastic TV:s i do think the C9 is slightly better.

However i still feel like on the 2019 oleds the black levels are raised compared to previous oleds. I saw it on the gz950 and i see it on the C9. I still have my C8 in the bedroom and when i compared it to the GZ950 and C9 the black levels looked a little more raised and washed out without showing more shadow details on the C9 and GZ950.

I too am looking to get into the OLED market and have also narrowed my choice down too these two TVs
Now I'm not a Gamer and I have a basic 5.1 system that I use on my very old Panasonic.
Reading the reviews it appears that there is very little between the two with regards to picture quality as ill be using mine mainly for HD and 4K content.
reading through the bumph I was drawn to the Panasonics calibration set up and its own test patterns etc
has any one used these function and did it help improve the picture much
Feel like if I read any more reviews ill never make my mind up
My main goal is picture quality as avid movie watcher
any advise help much appreciated
oh new to this forum

I was drawn to the Panasonics calibration set up and its own test patterns etc
has any one used these function and did it help improve the picture much

I'm not aware of any built-in test patterns on my Panasonic GZ950 - where did you read about those ?

The OOTB picture quality on my set is fantastic but if you did want to eek out that last bit of performance, then you'd need to buy the right equipment and REALLY know what you're doing, or pay for a professional calibration.

My C9 arrived yesterday, wonderfully everything has gone smoothly.

It's a really easy TV to setup, and pleasingly there's no LG account to log in sitting over the top of it like on my old Samsung KS7000.

Picture quality is superb. I've not tried to tweak the settings at all, just turned off the usual TruMotion stuff and used the Cinema preset. Once the firmware and all the apps updated everything worked as I'd hoped, sending through the expected signals, Dolby Vision and Atmos in the relevant places. Annoyingly AppleTV+ doesn't appear to offer Atmos on it but it seems like they restrict that just to Apple Devices anyway.

It's working perfectly with my AVR the x2600h. Once it got past the initial CEC pairing issues you always seem to get it worked just as I'd want. Also no lip-sync issues which some threads on here suggested there might be.

Really impressed by the software and the magic remote, definitely glad I went with that over getting the Panasonic and having to deal with its poor software.

So if anyone else over the next few months finds themselves asking the question that caused me to start this thread my recommendation is get a C9 without hesitation.

My C9 arrived yesterday, wonderfully everything has gone smoothly.

It's a really easy TV to setup, and pleasingly there's no LG account to log in sitting over the top of it like on my old Samsung KS7000.

Picture quality is superb. I've not tried to tweak the settings at all, just turned off the usual TruMotion stuff and used the Cinema preset. Once the firmware and all the apps updated everything worked as I'd hoped, sending through the expected signals, Dolby Vision and Atmos in the relevant places. Annoyingly AppleTV+ doesn't appear to offer Atmos on it but it seems like they restrict that just to Apple Devices anyway.

It's working perfectly with my AVR the x2600h. Once it got past the initial CEC pairing issues you always seem to get it worked just as I'd want. Also no lip-sync issues which some threads on here suggested there might be.

Really impressed by the software and the magic remote, definitely glad I went with that over getting the Panasonic and having to deal with its poor software.

So if anyone else over the next few months finds themselves asking the question that caused me to start this thread my recommendation is get a C9 without hesitation.
That is just the beginning. The love has only started :). It will keep growing on you and keep surprising you with its amazing PQ and other aspects.

I live with LG Oled for the last 3-4 years and it never gets boring. How could it be? I keep visiting places I have never seen before as it is like looking through the window. The infinite contrast can give depth perception on quality sources. Enjoy :)

Last edited:
watch the review of the GZ950 on here its got the best picture out there for the Money !

C9,all around best.

watch the review of the GZ950 on here its got the best picture out there for the Money !
And? You can get them calibrated to get even better picture out of any Oled set, if you are serious about PQ.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom