LG CX - A GAMING TV?

JustTheFacts

Established Member
Reaction score
A review I found helpful.
Review by Martin2180 on the Best Buy website.

Absolute best gaming TV ever!

OLED65CXPUA
Posted 1 month ago.
Owned for 2 weeks when reviewed.

Let me start this review off by going right at everyone's fear that want to buy an Oled TV but fear the word "Burn in" by stating the history of OLED TVs I've owned. I am a heavy gamer and my tv is on for over 8+ hrs a day between my little one, my wife and then myself gaming at night. I had a C6 that developed burn in after 2 years (roughly 8000 hrs in) gaming heavy and not understanding the whole "burn in effect". My warranty replacement was the C8 and I gamed even longer and harder on this set and had 0 burn in effects. The company has made huge strides in helping almost eliminate this from happening. Can it happen if you leave a static image on screen for hours upon hours, weeks after weeks, months after months? Yes! But knowing this and just in generally speaking, not many people watch the same thing every day for hours on end without mixing it up? It's very rare with these current models because of all the tools LG added to the TV like Screen shift, Screen saver, Logo Luminanve Adjuster and Pixel Refresher. You do not have to worry about burn in with these new sets. First off, the picture quality is top notch. I dont think there is another tv on the market (especially at $2800) that produces this level of on screen beauty. Color accuracy, pure black levels really make the colors pop off the screen, amazing contrast, etc... Anyone who says these tvs dont get bright enough have not sat in front of the tv. Its blinding! The HDR is beautiful! The upscaling is the best this series has ever had to offer. I believe they stressed the new A9 gen 3 chip was heavily focused on improving the upscaling, and you can really see it with this model (especially coming from a C8). The AI Picture and Sound features are huge upgrades and the great thing about them is you get to see a first hand example of their effects in the tv setup options. The AI picture mode really does a great job with human faces. The AI sound mode really helps single out the talking over the loud background sounds. In general it makes the tv so much louder at lower volume settings. Now on to the reason I wanted this TV so bad and what makes this tv the best in the business. It is designed to be a gaming tv. Usually when you think Oled, you are thinking about a high quality 4k movie watching tv. Well now not only is it that, but now it's a top notch gaming tv that easily rivals the best gaming monitors out there. It is fully future proof for the new systems coming. The tv has HDMI 2.1 which the new systems will take advantage of. It has insanely low response times with 4k 120hz BFI (Black Frame Insertion. It comes with built in Nvidia G sync and VRR. The Xbox X currently let's you use VRR and auto low latency on this tv along with 1440P 120 if desired. Graphically it's the best looking tv I've ever gamed on. The HDR lighting is much improved from my C8. I think because this set gets a bit brighter than my C8. It also has Dynamic tone mapping which adds a beautiful little extra brightness to your game picture quality (if you prefer it). And it also has HGIG but as far as I understand, not many games use it currently so I notice the lighting still looks better with Dynamic Tone Mapping alone without the HGIG. Also I notice in faster moving games that I have more control. Like in NHL Hockey 20 and Call of Duty, I can actually feel a difference in what I assume to be the better response time with VRR and Auto low latency checked on. I'm not sure what exactly technology is working here but all I can say is what I physically feel. And it's an improvement from my C8. (More control) I cant imagine how it's only gonna get better as the new systems are improving these areas. I must apologize for all the things I've left out, like the amazing operating system WebOS which is silly smooth and fast controlled by the magic remote (which is like a Wii remote you point and click). Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, HDR 10. All in all, I highly and strongly recommend this tv for anyone looking to upgrade. If you are a movie buff or a gamer, this tv is a no brainers. The best part is it is close to $1000 cheaper than its usual release price. Kudos to LG for getting it out with a great price point. Get this tv and enjoy its beauty! Pictures I post dont do it justice. My camera cannot capture the detail and it add blooming that is not visible on my tv. Black is black!

I agree. I did a write up on the C9 as a gaming PC versus more expensive ultrawide monitors last year. Its incredible and a step up above every single gaming panel I've used when balancing feature set with the sublime best in class visual fidelity.

Monitor Review Summary

PROS:

1. Best in class black levels
  2. Best in class contrast
  3. Best in class SDR performance
  4. Best in class HDR performance
  5. Great responsiveness and motion
  6. Best in class real estate for a monitor
  7. Great for media playback, including supporting multiple aspect ratios and having built in applications
  8. No Halo effect, No banding, No BLB, No IPS glow, No ghosting,
  9. Adaptive sync pending
  10. Built in speakers (they’re not amazing but none of my high end monitors come with them)
  11. Better compatibility with games as it can support 16:9, 21:9 and still give a decent sized image
  12. Amazing build quality with multiple ports, all easily accessible
  13. Doubles as a TV/Media centre
  14. Best in class dark room performance
  15. For PC monitors, also best in class bright room performance
  16. Future proofing. It's OLED with awesome HDR performance, infinite contrast ratio and 2.1 HDMI ports; and a 4k resolution. I don't see this getting outdated for a LONG time.
  17. Great for local co-op due to sheer size
  18. Provides great longevity as down the road, it can be used as a TV instead and comfortably used as either a home theatre screen, console gaming screen etc.
Cons:

1. Needs workarounds to avoid IR/Burn in which is still not unavoidable
  2. Bad for productivity due to IR/Burn in
  3. No high hz modes for 4k/ultrawide resolutions (yet)
  4. Its huge and therefore impractical for many
  5. Its expensive
  6. Not for competitive gamers
  7. Reflective when its just a black screen
  8. No curved screen

This was comparing it to the much loved CRG9 super ultrawide monitor.

Your review stresses OLED burn in. Before you have said time will tell if LG panels are no longer prone to burn in. We are at the 2 year mark with C8 panels. I haven’t seen any reports on C8 panels experiencing burn in. How much longer do we have to wait until we can say that LG OLED panels aren’t prone to burn in anymore? Can we at least agree that OLED burn In isn’t near as likely as it used to be even if you game a lot and take no special precautions. The data (2 years of operation and most people take no special precautions) shows that the risk of OLED burn in has been greatly reduced since the C7 days.

Last edited:
Your review stresses OLED burn in. Before you have said time will tell if LG panels are no longer prone to burn in. We are at the 2 year mark with C8 panels. I haven’t seen any reports on C8 panels experiencing burn in. How much longer do we have to wait until we can say that LG OLED panels aren’t prone to burn in anymore? Can we at least agree that OLED burn In isn’t near as likely as it used to be even if you game a lot and take no special precautions. The data (2 years of operation and most people take no special precautions) shows that the risk of OLED burn in has been greatly reduced since the C7 days.

I'm not getting into this debate here. Please keep it to the burn-in designated threads on the forum.

I'm not getting into this debate here. Please keep it to the burn-in designated threads on the forum.
Agreed. I am done debating. Haven’t posted on the permanent burn in thread for a while. Hopefully as more data comes out we can both be more flexible in our beliefs.

Last edited:
Agreed. I am done debating. Haven’t posted on the permanent burn in thread for a while. Hopefully as more data comes out we can both be more flexible in our beliefs.

To be totally honest and transparent..

TBH the reason why I kept harping on about burn-in within my OLED review as a monitor is because of where I posted it on.

I posted it on the ultrawidemasterrace reddit which was ALREADY going to be opposed to the C9 because its not ultrawide. Ontop of that, I know they were going to use any stick they could to try and beat the OLED.

So by repeatedly mentioning its achilles heel, I hoped that they could accept the flaw and look past it. In the PC monitor space we don't have many reasonably priced FALDs so we're dealing with very very poor (in comparison to OLED) edge lit VA/ IPS LCD panels.

The difference between the two is TREMENDOUS. I did a picture of the AW3418DW vs the LG OLED and it was.. embarassing.

TBH boss, my opinion will probably not budge much on that I feel LG and retailer should offer more customer support to owners who suffer with burn in or premature pixel wear.

My stance on if burn is in an issue or not that should be mentioned every second of the day... well that has changed. I don't think its that much of an issue and at the end of the day, I'd rather CHANCE getting some burn in, than having to look at shoddy blacks, halo effects, banding and blooming on LCDs.

:)

The reddit thread is really quite fun.

"I find it very easy to avoid black bars on my 21:9 UW. I just watched Salt via Netflix last night. I just switch over to Edge and use the Ultrawide plugin to crop. No black bars. Just one button click. There is also a Netflix native player for Windows 10 that I use sometimes. I also adore Plex and I'm sure there's many other options. But worst case scenario is rip the bluray and just watch it in Plex player with Crop. I find it very easy personally.

luckily modern day games like Control (let's ignore the EGS thing cause it was included with my card) for example, natively support 21:9 but not 32:9 . they have to use mods and even then, I question how DLSS works with 32:9 because the devs "train" the AI for 21:9 resolution.

So I can see why a 32:9 user will be like, "black bars is a plague!". But as a 21:9 user, I'm like it's no big deal. All my games support it. I think only game I cant get to work is Dragonball fighterZ in 21:9. Asked for a mod in wsgf subreddit but I have little hope. So thats a situation I'd just default to a 16:9 4k TV. Since fighting games run just fine at 60hz anyways. And 4k/60hz is easy to push on my card for a Fighting game (just 2-6 characters max rendered at once)

but 144hz and 120hz are like night and day too me. And I'm in my middle years and can still tell a big difference. But i play a lot of racing & FPS games. But let's assume maybe I'm somehow biased and not trust worthy. Fair enough. but still- why let your monitor of all things be a bottleneck esp when you pay over $1k???

And yes you are right HDR1000 is a big thing. but let's be honest- OLED LG c9 rtings review says it hits what- hdr600? Only reason it still outdoes other TVs is due to the incredible picture quality. But I'm no LG C9 owner I can only spitball what I read. So true LG C9 owners know what's up in that area

[edit] I'll probably try to drive over to Best Buy and take a gander at LG C9. hopefully it's in stock. I'm no LG C9 owner nor do I own CRG9. The author obviously trumps me there. I only know what I read in reviews."

Then 2 posts later
"Jesus!!! I saw the LG C9 and my mind was blown. If it was on sale I might've even bought it on the spot!

Yeah definitely blows away all the panels I've ever seen by far it's no contest. Need to collect my thoughts and maybe even take a bath

They had a demo where the top end LG LED screen was right beside the OLED LG C9. I could watch exact same demo on both."

I've never been an OLED hater. I've just had a bit of a hard-on for trying to get better consumer rights lol.

Last edited:
To be totally honest and transparent..

TBH the reason why I kept harping on about burn-in within my OLED review as a monitor is because of where I posted it on.

I posted it on the ultrawidemasterrace reddit which was ALREADY going to be opposed to the C9 because its not ultrawide. Ontop of that, I know they were going to use any stick they could to try and beat the OLED.

So by repeatedly mentioning its achilles heel, I hoped that they could accept the flaw and look past it. In the PC monitor space we don't have many reasonably priced FALDs so we're dealing with very very poor (in comparison to OLED) edge lit VA/ IPS LCD panels.

The difference between the two is TREMENDOUS. I did a picture of the AW3418DW vs the LG OLED and it was.. embarassing.

TBH boss, my opinion will probably not budge much on that I feel LG and retailer should offer more customer support to owners who suffer with burn in or premature pixel wear.

My stance on if burn is in an issue or not that should be mentioned every second of the day... well that has changed. I don't think its that much of an issue and at the end of the day, I'd rather CHANCE getting some burn in, than having to look at shoddy blacks, halo effects, banding and blooming on LCDs.

:)

You are a talented journalist with lots of personal experience, research, and knowledge. Thanks for providing the review.

Last edited:
Your are a talented journalist with lots of personal experience, research, and knowledge. Thanks for providing the review.

haha. Not sure if that is sarcasm but the C9 honestly is a no brainer for any gamer who doesn't need those crazy 240hz panels for ultra competitive gaming.

I'm patiently waiting for the 77'' CX to come in stock now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom