LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I bought this TV for a good gaming experience mind.

However, some games do not allow to turn off the score hud (which is huge and almost constant in NBA 2k21 for example).

Will I risk burn-in if I use it 4-5 hours a day (not continuously but over a 16 hour span)
What can alleviate it - varying content or just switch off completely when not playing to give the TV a "breather"?

Also, what colours are the moss aggressive?

Last edited:
I bought this TV for a good gaming experience mind.

However, some games do not allow to turn off the score hud (which is huge and almost constant in NBA 2k21 for example).

Will I risk burn-in if I use it 4-5 hours a day (not continuously but over a 16 hour span)
What can alleviate it - varying content or just switch off completely when not playing to give the TV a "breather"?

Also, what colours are the moss aggressive?

Technically burn in should be very hard to do on these newer Oled TVs especially CX series.

Logo luminance
screen shift
ABL (auto brightness limiting)
ASBL (auto static brightness limiting)
screen saver
Pixel refresher

Basically LG just threw the entire kitchen sink at the problem, so as long as you have not disabled those features, burn in should not really occur, but we won't really be 100% sure till after CX owners say so in 2-3 years time. If you are concerned still go with John Lewis who are the only ones doing a £140 5 year burn in cover.

Taking a break is a great idea regardless, turn to the news channel for 10 minutes or switch off for a bit.

Red I believe is one of the biggest troublemaker colours for burn in, so is yellow. Basically when
Iron Man is shooting down everyone on screen so will your OLED burn...... (Just kidding:laugh:)

Technically burn in should be very hard to do on these newer Oled TVs especially CX series.

Logo luminance
screen shift
screen saver
Pixel refresher

Basically LG just threw the entire kitchen sink at the problem, so as long as you have not disabled those features, burn in should not really occur, but we won't really be 100% sure till after CX owners say so in 2-3 years time. If you are concerned still go with John Lewis who are the only ones doing a £140 5 year burn in cover.

Taking a break is a great idea regardless, turn to the news channel for 10 minutes or switch off for a bit.

Red I believe is one of the biggest troublemaker colours for burn in, so is yellow. Basically when
Iron Man is shooting down everyone on screen so will your OLED burn...... (Just kidding:laugh:)

where can I turn on ABL and ASBL? And do I need them if I set the OLED light manually and never at maximum level (besides with hdr and gaming, in those cases I just leave the default settings with 100 oled light and 100 contrast)?

keep in mind that I always use dark room picture mode when I watch TV, and filmmaker or cinema when I watch hdr and Dolby Vision movies

where can I turn on ABL and ASBL? And do I need them if I set the OLED light manually and never at maximum level (besides with hdr and gaming, in those cases I just leave the default settings with 100 oled light and 100 contrast)?
They are already on, and can't be changed via the user menu.

If your genuinely that worried, then maybe watch some regular content after a couple of hours for a bit. I wouldn't concern yourself with which colours will fare worst, bit extreme that!

are you sure? I remember that there is some option under AI menu regarding automatic light/brightness
The methods mentioned are built into the service menu, you can only switch them off/on, by entering that.

The methods mentioned are built into the service menu, you can only switch them off/on, by entering that.

great, I didn't know that. I'm happy to hear that, thanks for info! so what are the options under the user menu?

@Tim7
Re the Prime lip sync problem. I’ve spent far too long playing with this today. It seems that on mine audio is about 100ms early and setting the sync adjustment to 30 has got it close. I’m not promising it’s perfect as videos across Prime and YouTube in particular seem to vary, some in sync, others miles out. I have absolutely no idea why. At least everything I’ve tried so far seems to be watchable.
I used this video as a starting point. Hope it helps.

great, I didn't know that. I'm happy to hear that, thanks for info! so what are the options under the user menu?

Not too important for the average user really the service menu gives you useful stats, serial number, model number, hours of tv use some people like it so you can switch off the ASBL, details are over here:

Not to be confused with the other one ABL which I believe you can't switch off, the asbl is the static images one ie the one that can cause burn in damage, so its good its left on and cant be switched off really.

Logo luminance
screen shift
screen saver
Pixel refresher

Thanks. I'm not planning to keep the TV forever, but I'd hate to see burn in after a couple of years. I also fall in and out of love gaming - I play like mad for a couple of months when a new game is out (literally every free moment) and then not at all for the rest fo the year.

Thanks. I'm not planning to keep the TV forever, but I'd hate to see burn in after a couple of years. I also fall in and out of love gaming - I play like mad for a couple of months when a new game is out (literally every free moment) and then not at all for the rest fo the year.

Think you will be fine, spoken to a few others guys that have been using the C9 Last year's LG OLED model which is pretty much the similar and these guys have been gaming and using it as a daily PC monitor even and still going fine.

Taking breaks is good every few hours anyhow for your eyes/health and you let the OLED take a breather also.

V6 Virgin Media cable box small update:

I noticed even with filmmaker mode set, Energy saving off, DTM off, hdmi ultra hd deep colour on, OLED brightness 20 and rest being defaults, quality is more than acceptable to my eyes during
BTsports HD and normal BBC and freeview HD channels in general.

You won't get amazing clarity exactly it's only a 1080i source coming from Virgin.

I did play around with the Picture options like noise reduction, mpeg noise reduction, smooth gradation and trumotion but it made little to no difference in my eyes during a footy match just now on BT sports HD1 and also the UFC ppv event this weekend.

Looking at my old 6-year-old Samsung LED panel feels like 🤢 the colours, blacks and details in players or UFC fighters is just better. No issue with motion either during footy or when guys are throwing spinning heel kicks to guy's faces. This is on a 48CX screen however, I can't confirm the same for the 55CX or other.

Think you will be fine, spoken to a few others guys that have been using the C9 Last year's LG OLED model which is pretty much the similar and these guys have been gaming and using it as a daily PC monitor even and still going fine.

Taking breaks is good every few hours anyhow for your eyes/health and you let the OLED take a breather also.

I usually turn off the screen when I pause a game for a long time, is it bad for the TV? I think that the screen off it's the same thing as when the TV is off

I usually turn off the screen when I pause a game for a long time, is it bad for the TV? I think that the screen off it's the same thing as when the TV is off
You'd probably be better flicking a TV programme on so the pixels are still getting worked.

However, can't stress enough how you guys seem to be taking it a bit too far 🤣

As said just switch to unused HDMI port or live tv if you pause a game for long periods. I only do this if I’m waiting on a long download or update or going to do something else for a lengthy spell.

As said just switch to unused HDMI port or live tv if you pause a game for long periods. I only do this if I’m waiting on a long download or update or going to do something else for a lengthy spell.
Can you do that on this set? My Samsung won’t let me switch to another input if there aren’t devices turned on.

Like said above, just easier to flick to another channel say bbc news. Really as I said LG have put the entire kitchen sink into making burn in a myth almost, not one but multiple safeguards so in theory you should not have to do anything but just enjoy the OLED.

Like said above, just easier to flick to another channel say bbc news. Really as I said LG have put the entire kitchen sink into making burn in a myth almost, not one but multiple safeguards so in theory you should not have to do anything but just enjoy the OLED.

You're probably right but it's always good to do some basic housekeeping.
Would you say it's better to turn the TV off or switch to another input (purely from a burn-in avoidance perspective)?

You'd probably be better flicking a TV programme on so the pixels are still getting worked.

I thought that the screen off is better than a TV program, I mean the screen off is like the TV off, so the panel should be safe. why do you think that a TV program is better?

I don't understand, what's wrong with the screen off?

sure, but I just want to understand why you guys suggest to switch to another port or program, instead of turn off the screen. it takes 1sec to turn off the screen, i thought that I did a good thing for the panel, but all of you are saying it's not apparently

Why would you flip to a channel with static elements like a news channel? That’s the opposite of what you’d want to do.

I thought that the screen off is better than a TV program, I mean the screen off is like the TV off, so the panel should be safe. why do you think that a TV program is better?
Why would you flip to a channel with static elements like a news channel? That’s the opposite of what you’d want to do.
Not all news channels have static element's all the time though, however imo it would be better to put a channel on with a programme that is full screen.

In theory, the pixels are still being worked with the constant change in colour, kind of a like a little refresh. In turning the screen off, yes the pixel turns off, but when you turn the panel back on its going straight back to what it was on (same colour, static elements).

But seriously, if I had to worry this much, I wouldn't bother buying OLED, or I'd be swapping out for LED.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom