LG CX OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Loving my cx55, but have seen one issue with the picture, very specific though. Has anyone watched rise of skywalker on disney plus on theirs? Its the only time i have seen it and have watched many dark films, but at the end in the very dark scenes there was blocking in the black shadows and grainy lines around those areas. Would clear after a second or so but whenever the scene changed it would happen. Tried it on different picture modes and played around with turning off picture pro etc but was still happening. Just wondered if anyone had experienced similar, or if they could check the film to see if they get the same? As I said only noticed it on rise of skywalker at the end, every other film and xbox games have been fine.

Here you go, Dominic. Hope that helps a bit. Obviously possibly hard to tell from a photo, but essentially it's a fairly dark silver colour, same as the trim of the telly. Quite understated and rather nice.

Thank you, looks great and wow those photos! One more thing when you get a spare min can you measure from the top your stand to the bottom of the bezel.I have a centre speaker (9cm tall) not sure if i am going to get away with it in front of the tv?

Hi guys. Looking to pull the trigger on the 65” CX immently. But just wondering where are you guys buying yours from?

I'd like to buy some cover for burn in if possible. Which places state they cover for this issue? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thank you, looks great and wow those photos! One more thing when you get a spare min can you measure from the top your stand to the bottom of the bezel.I have a centre speaker (9cm tall) not sure if i am going to get away with it in front of the tv?
Will do. I'm on my way into work now (night shift) so will measure it in the morning unless some other kind soul gets there first. For what it's worth, I've put my sound bar in front of mine now because the audio from the telly is a bit "flat screen". From memory that's about 5cm high and it only just squeezes in there, I'm afraid, unless I'm laying recumbent on the sofa in which case it does obscure the bottom of the picture. As that's my go-to position I might raise the LG up just a tad with some well-placed bits of wood! But you'll probably need a bit of a chunky plank!

Will do. I'm on my way into work now (night shift) so will measure it in the morning unless some other kind soul gets there first. For what it's worth, I've put my sound bar in front of mine now because the audio from the telly is a bit "flat screen". From memory that's about 5cm high and it only just squeezes in there, I'm afraid, unless I'm laying recumbent on the sofa in which case it does obscure the bottom of the picture. As that's my go-to position I might raise the LG up just a tad with some well-placed bits of wood! But you'll probably need a bit of a chunky plank!

Thanks mate, will probably end up doing that or wall mounting it.

Loving my cx55, but have seen one issue with the picture, very specific though. Has anyone watched rise of skywalker on disney plus on theirs? Its the only time i have seen it and have watched many dark films, but at the end in the very dark scenes there was blocking in the black shadows and grainy lines around those areas. Would clear after a second or so but whenever the scene changed it would happen. Tried it on different picture modes and played around with turning off picture pro etc but was still happening. Just wondered if anyone had experienced similar, or if they could check the film to see if they get the same? As I said only noticed it on rise of skywalker at the end, every other film and xbox games have been fine.
Didn’t notice when I watched the uhd disc the other night, could just be Disney + lowered bitrates that caused it.

Hi guys. Looking to pull the trigger on the 65” CX immently. But just wondering where are you guys buying yours from?

I'd like to buy some cover for burn in if possible. Which places state they cover for this issue? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Not sure on cover options but Peter Tyson offered great service when I purchased earlier in May.

The 77CX is up, looks great so far, but not had a proper play yet.

Attachments

• 20200526_214319.jpg
    20200526_214319.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

I watched it on Disney+ over the weekend and didn't notice any blocking or graining. Also on a CX55.

The 77CX is up, looks great so far, but not had a proper play yet.
Any yellow/magenta/blue tint on your screen mate? Excited to know if this has been improved on the CX, especially on such a large screen as a 77".
Congrats on a fantastic tv btw!

Can someone check the bluetooth codecs in use with the CX?
I often use a BT headset on late evenings. Is it still AptX, or have they abandoned the cost of a higher bitrate codec this year?
Would love AptX LL/HD or even LDAC!

There she is. Mmmmmmmmmm look at the contrast on that. Such inky blacks. 🙂 (Excuse the ancient stand it's sitting on - I'm still using one that came with a Philips 28" CRT about 20 years ago!)
Wow the black levels are so good! is this the 48"?

Wow the black levels are so good! is this the 48"?
It certainly is. Perfect size for me. Moving up from a 40" backlit LCD (which was actually pretty damned good anyway, with lots microdimming areas), the step to 48" is a big enough jump to make quite a difference And the black levels are amazing, even more so when something bright hits in the same scene and pops out of the screen! The contrast levels are fantastic.
I'm spending a lot of time playing with all the different settings (God, there are a lot!) trying to find the best configuration for different sources.
Biggest problem I had was it revealing some horrible colour-banding when watching an episode of Devs I'd recorded off Freeview HD (hadn't seen anything similar on previous episodes on my LCD). A smoothing option seems to have fixed that, but I'll have to check it doesn't cause any unwanted side effects. The woes of having a display that's just too good! 😉

It certainly is. Perfect size for me. Moving up from a 40" backlit LCD (which was actually pretty damned good anyway, with lots microdimming areas), the step to 48" is a big enough jump to make quite a difference And the black levels are amazing, even more so when something bright hits in the same scene and pops out of the screen! The contrast levels are fantastic.
I'm spending a lot of time playing with all the different settings (God, there are a lot!) trying to find the best configuration for different sources.
Biggest problem I had was it revealing some horrible colour-banding when watching an episode of Devs I'd recorded off Freeview HD (hadn't seen anything similar on previous episodes on my LCD). A smoothing option seems to have fixed that, but I'll have to check it doesn't cause any unwanted side effects. The woes of having a display that's just too good! 😉
That's good, May I know how far do you sit from the 48"?

I'm now approaching 200 hours on the 55" and the TV has settled down, but of course its also the Ai all starting to kick in as it gathere data, and I stop messing with settings and let it learn. I'm not interested in accuracy , just want a bright poppy sharp TV that is great at upscaling sdr and brilliant with 4k and HDR, it doesn't disappoint. I get all the calibrating and stuff but that's of no interest to me. And I don't game.

The Netflix and Amazon buttons are great and the remote is the first one I've had that genuinely works across all inputs, albeit its fiddly recording the programme on screen through Sky.

Handshake issues in the morning, the TV won't wake Sky, you have to click yes to an onscreen error message

Speech via the remote works well as does Google assitant but I use Sonos not the TV

Lip sync does look out sometimes, you have Sky , Sonos and the tv to fiddle with and i have everything at 0 and true motion to cinema clear and its livable

I only use isf bright with oled and contrast at 90% and the hdr inputs all default to cinema

Cinema clear is superb for motion

I've put some football on and the TV did not pick it up or switch to sports mode as it should, so I need to track that

All in all a fantastic TV and HDR is oitstanding

With the sky box, if you turn it on first it will then turn on the tv and you won’t get the error message, works ok with sky q.

CX 48” ordered from curry’s on Friday 1350, delivered Saturday 1130. I consider myself very lucky!

Delighted with the TV. I had a 4 year old LED Samsung, and there is a big step up in picture quality. It’s has a mix of TV, Movies, PS4 and all look fantastic.

Couple of photos attached.

CBEF5FA4-C909-4EA9-8652-E077D3805191.jpeg
B0CCFEC5-8522-494E-A135-2B3A25A680B0.jpeg
407323C6-349C-4E9C-99FB-6FB9CF06F65F.jpeg

Last edited:
With the sky box, if you turn it on first it will then turn on the tv and you won’t get the error message, works ok with sky q.

Yeah that defeats the object of using voice to turn it on, whats the point if you still have to pick up a remote?

Sorry, didn’t appreciate that you were using voice.

No worries, TVs are still a long way behind phones, the LG home dashboard is clunky and wben Apple ge their act together i bet voice activated routines will be simple to set up and work, they arent with the TV, integration with Google Home Phillips Hue etc is very complex

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom