LG CX (OLED55CX) TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Phil, can you confirm if the BBC's catch up services are now available for the CX as per the article posted in the news section on Monday.

Appreciate they may not have been available when the review was undertaken, if it was a a few weeks ago.

Thanks.

Phil, can you confirm if the BBC's catch up services are now available for the CX as per the article posted in the news section on Monday.

Appreciate they may not have been available when the review was undertaken, if it was a a few weeks ago.

Thanks.
It wasn't there when this review was done, but I have a 48" arriving next week so will check with that, but they should be there.

It wasn't there when this review was done, but I have a 48" arriving next week so will check with that, but they should be there.
Thanks

Thanks.
All the BBC apps are available as per the article and working properly.
No sign of other U.K. catch up services yet.

Good review Phil. Thank you.
I hope the black flashing fix isn’t too far away. I agree it’s relatively minor and can be mitigated, but it’s really distracting when it does occur. The posterisation, that I hope is part of the same ”bug”, is arguably even more distracting.

Good review Phil. Thank you.
I hope the black flashing fix isn’t too far away. I agree it’s relatively minor and can be mitigated, but it’s really distracting when it does occur. The posterisation, that I hope is part of the same ”bug”, is arguably even more distracting.
Thank you.

I do find it a bit odd reveiwing a TV that was just reviewed less than two months ago albeit the larger version.

I do find it a bit odd reveiwing a TV that was just reviewed less than two months ago albeit the larger version.
Then you're not going to like the fact that I have the 48-inch coming next week for review.

Then you're not going to like the fact that I have the 48-inch coming next week for review.

Will you also be assessing the CX48 as a PC monitor? I have been using mine for triple duties: movies, games and as a work monitor (so word processing, web browsing, video conferencing). Probably in a 10:30:60 usage ratio.

I'd be interested in your thoughts as I had to (a) disable the auto-dimming from the service menu, and (b) set the TV so that contrast was at 70 (OLED brightness at 100); to stop it auto-dimming to the point that MS-Word or Zoom were unreadble/unusable. Thankfully, its all sorted now and I no longer really notice any differences between this and my previous LG 34UM ultra wide monitor (apart from the extra screen real estate!)

Will you also be assessing the CX48 as a PC monitor? I have been using mine for triple duties: movies, games and as a work monitor (so word processing, web browsing, video conferencing). Probably in a 10:30:60 usage ratio.

I'd be interested in your thoughts as I had to (a) disable the auto-dimming from the service menu, and (b) set the TV so that contrast was at 70 (OLED brightness at 100); to stop it auto-dimming to the point that MS-Word or Zoom were unreadble/unusable. Thankfully, its all sorted now and I no longer really notice any differences between this and my previous LG 34UM ultra wide monitor (apart from the extra screen real estate!)
I have no plans to cover as a PC monitor.

Thanks for the review, am hoping to finally get an OLED this year.

Is there any content out there that is solely HDR10+ that isnt dolby vision as well?

Has there been any improvements in screen reflection handling over 2019 model? This seems to an area that could do with improvement on all flagship current TV’s.

Thanks for the review, am hoping to finally get an OLED this year.

Is there any content out there that is solely HDR10+ that isnt dolby vision as well?

There are only a handful, probably the only two of any note are Parasite and Alien. I would say its pretty much a dead format. Only Samsung is still supporting it out of the original consortium and they don't produce any content. There is a list of titles on blu-ray.com, most also support Dolby Vision. Amazon Prime I think also has some partnership with Samsung and has some HDR10+ content, and they also support DV.

List of UHDs that contain HDR10+ - Blu-ray Forum

The Samsung anti-reflection screen is supposed to be excellent. Not sure I could bring myself to buy one mind.
Yes it is supposed to be best so far. However look at what Apple introduced with Nano textured glass. Hopefully TV Manufactures can offer such an option rather then playing with coatings.

Hi Phil, will you be reviewing the Panasonic HZ980 & HZ1000 soon?

Good review but the scoring is very generous for a model that is a tweaked version of last year’s equivalent, and which lacks basic functionality.

Hi Phil, will you be reviewing the Panasonic HZ980 & HZ1000 soon?
Panasonic has no plans to send out review samples of the HZ980. I am working on the HZ1000 review this week, it should be up soon.

Good review but the scoring is very generous for a model that is a tweaked version of last year’s equivalent, and which lacks basic functionality.

'Tweaked version of last year's equivalent"

Isn't that pretty much how it always is..(?) The CX is a tweaked C9...which was a tweaked C8...& so and and so forth.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom