LG CX (OLED65CX) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

@hamiltone Just a few years ago? ;)

The CX line was introduced at lower price points than previously seen and for the first time the 77" came in at under £5k MSRP.

Well it must have been at least 10-15 years ago. Time goes fast as you get older!

But, yes, the launch prices of LG OLED's have been getting cheaper every year.

OLED v QLED very much like Apple v Android you either buy into one or the other...l would'nt jump on the Apple cart same as l woud'nt jump on the OLED cart...as l like value for money especially when larger screen sizes are involved,same can be said with 4K v 8K Would'nt jump on to the 8k cart either....seems to me OLED has been pushed as far as it can be at this current time

Well it must have been at least 10-15 years ago. Time goes fast as you get older!

But, yes, the launch prices of LG OLED's have been getting cheaper every year.

Compared to what

OLED v QLED very much like Apple v Android you either buy into one or the other...l would'nt jump on the Apple cart same as l woud'nt jump on the OLED cart...as l like value for money especially when larger screen sizes are involved,same can be said with 4K v 8K Would'nt jump on to the 8k cart either....seems to me OLED has been pushed as far as it can be at this current time

LCD still has a way to go to reach its peak eh? Make a story that suits your agenda.

I’m buying an OLED tomorrow. I’ll mostly be gaming on it, watching UHD content and sports. I’m also planning to calibrate the set myself using the CalMan AutoCal, i1Display Pro Plus and CalMan home for LG. I will also mostly be watching this in a dimly lit to dark room with no reflections.

I’m upgrading from GX800 which was a good enough TV for me, to give you some context, so my question is what would be a more sensible choice for me? Get B9 55 or CX 48?
Is the £400 price difference noticeable?

I’ll not mind a slightly slower OS which was mentioned in the B9 review I’m only after picture quality and colour reproduction out of the box as I won’t be getting it calibrated straight away.

Thank you in advance.
Your feedback will be much appreciated.

Ignore the CX48 for now. Currys are selling it at £100 over RRP. Will be £1399 at the end of the month when Currys exclusivity ends.

If you want a bigger TV either stretch to £1599 for a CX or a C9 for £1299 or less.

I'm surprised smart apps are a dealbreaker for people.

DTS for those without an AVR would be a dealbreaker, and even for those with, a huge annoyance due to lack of pass through.

40gbps affects 0.05% of people potentially (those using PC GPUs to drive 12-bit data and unable to specify/output 10-bit).

The CX has better motion, better PQ and more accurate presets.
The C9 has better apps, can accept a 12-bit signal at 4k/120 and has DTS.

I think most home theatre enthusiasts would still lean towards the better PQ and motion upgrades than the few extra features of the C9.

However, I agree when you take into account price; the C9 is a steal. But that is always the case with last years model at its lowest price and this year's model at its highest. If they were the same price, which would you pick?
Genuine question. Why would bit be useful to receive a 12bit signal on a 10bit panel. Is there any tech also on the horizon to output at 12bit?

An interesting review as I'm looking forward to the 48" version. There is no mention of the sound quality from this TV. Although I have a 5.1 system for watching drama and movies I tend to stick to the internal speakers for day to day stuff. At these sorts of prices I would expect better than reasonable sound performance. The lack of catch-up apps is just shoddy and shows no effort being made in securing rights to Apps that are pretty much universal on other TVs.

I also feel that prices for OLEDs need to drop, although they will inevitably fall later in the lifetime of this model. £1500 is a ridiculous price for a 48" TV. I will be interested to see how the Sony 48" OLED compares to this as they use the same panel. LG seem to use their monopoly in the manufacture of OLED screens to ramp up prices. It might have been justifiable a few years ago when yields were low, but now they can mass produce the panels. If some new technology were to come along OLED would be dead in the water especially as there is a lack of confidence with the 'burn in' issues. My son had an LG OLED which had to go back after a couple of years because of images imprinted on the screen. Currys replaced it with a Sony.
Currys are inflating the price. Will be £1399 when other retailers can sell it.

Unfortunately the Sony is looking at being either £1649 or £1699 on release

Genuine question. Why would bit be useful to receive a 12bit signal on a 10bit panel. Is there any tech also on the horizon to output at 12bit?

It would not.

The issue is that some devices (NVIDIA/AMD GPUs) only allow 8 or 12 bit output methods.

Seems like LG has been cost cutting on this model. C9 the better buy. From LG’s statement it seems very unlikely that Freeview Play will come to the CX. More money saved for them I suppose.

I've just managed to find a C9 which should be arriving tomorrow.
I'm quite the gamer - the 2.1 gaming features for the upcoming consoles are what interest me the most.
Going to be interesting comparing it to my ZD9 for picture etc
where did you manage to find a C9, if you don’t mind me asking? : )

seems to me OLED has been pushed as far as it can be at this current time
Probably yes, but OLED as it is is fine by me - We watch in a moderate to dark room depending on the film, and the picture on the B7 is fantastic. We don't watch hours of the same TV channel, so burn-in is not a consideration. Small improvements to the processing to perfectly remove film panning judder while not causing any other degradation would be great, but I don't buy into the "every new iteration must be better in some way" way of thinking. This has left us with phones that are bigger than my Grand Parents first TV etc.
If a true replacement technology comes along, I would only move to it if it was as good looking as an OLED, but cheaper.

Probably yes, but OLED as it is is fine by me - We watch in a moderate to dark room depending on the film, and the picture on the B7 is fantastic. We don't watch hours of the same TV channel, so burn-in is not a consideration. Small improvements to the processing to perfectly remove film panning judder while not causing any other degradation would be great, but I don't buy into the "every new iteration must be better in some way" way of thinking. This has left us with phones that are bigger than my Grand Parents first TV etc.
If a true replacement technology comes along, I would only move to it if it was as good looking as an OLED, but cheaper.
Yep totally fine with how OLED performs currently. I have a B7 so it's not even as good as the C9/CX. Until micro led is the same price and performs to it's expected levels, I'm happy with whatever OLED gives me. Will wait till 2021 at least before replacing the B7.

Ignore the CX48 for now. Currys are selling it at £100 over RRP. Will be £1399 at the end of the month when Currys exclusivity ends.

RGB are quoting it at £1499 as well - where's RRP details, out of interest?

The issue is that some devices (NVIDIA/AMD GPUs) only allow 8 or 12 bit output methods.
Whilst true so far, only the 30 series cards are going to come with the necessary HDMI 2.1 ports on board. And we don't have any solid information yet on what outputs they will support. So it's all speculation at this point.

It will be same price at Currys by then as they will price match.
Yeah thats great but they don't match the customer service or warranty.

The exclusive deal LG signed with Currys is infuriating and poor for consumers

Yeah thats great but they don't match the customer service or warranty.

You are right, Currys service and warranty is superior to other suppliers.

I would rather buy from Currys myself, as the service has always been excellent.

You are right, Currys service and warranty is superior to other suppliers.

I would rather buy from Currys myself, as the service has always been excellent.
Well we all know who you work for

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom