LG CX (OLED65CX) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

The CX is more complicated than it should be:

Interal apps --> limited to ARC (i.e. Dolby Digital Plus Atmos is the best you will get)
External device--> all Dolby formats passed through eARC (inlcuding Dolby TruHD Atmos), but NO DTS tracks (DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, DTS:X)

Depends though doesn't it, Apple tv 4k box for example, netflix, disney +, apple TV all offer atmos, but only using the DD+ codec.

Apart from DTS, I don't think the series 10 is any different from most TVs?

All streaming services will always be lossy for the foreseeable future. Why tie up bandwidth with lossless audio when most people aren't set up to benefit from it? A UHD player connected to HDMI will pass through Dolby TruHD Atmos just fine but not any DTS format (Universal UHD discs used DTS:X). I did think this was going to be a big issue but again, streaming doesn't use DTS and Apps like Infuse on the ATV decode DTS-MA and below into multichannel PCM which will passthrough fine (just without lighting up the DTS logo).

Sadly most of the big 4 brands have now dropped DTS - I'm not sure though whether that includes DTS passthrough via eARC though.

Both C9 and C10 can't pass full fat atmos from internal apps, due to the alpha 9 processor.

Just wondering why does my Denon say ATMOS when it plays off of Netflix internal app?

My Panny 902B used to say Dolby Digital.

Just wondering why does my Denon say ATMOS when it plays off of Netflix internal app?

Not really sure, I find it confusing as well.

Is your receiver Atmos?

I set my TV audio settings to passthrough to my Sonos ARC.

Not really sure, I find it confusing as well.

Is your receiver Atmos?

I set my TV audio settings to passthrough to my Sonos ARC.

yup it’s an atmos receiver.

I’m pretty much sure the tv does pass through atmos as its doing it for me using a traditional avr.

Atmos comes in two forms:
  • Atmos carried in a Dolby Digital Plus stream which is lossy
  • Atmos carried in a Dolby TruHD stream which is lossless
The first (lossly) version is what streaming services use and can be carried over ARC (and what the LG internal apps use) and the first (lossless) version is what is on UHD discsand require either a compatible amp/soundbar between the source and the TV or eARC support.

Atmos comes in two forms:
  • Atmos carried in a Dolby Digital Plus stream which is lossy
  • Atmos carried in a Dolby TruHD stream which is lossless
The first (lossly) version is what streaming services use and can be carried over ARC (and what the LG internal apps use) and the first (lossless) version is what is on UHD discsand require either a compatible amp/soundbar between the source and the TV or eARC support.

The Dolby Digital Plus passed through by my 902B was definitely not atmos (no height channel involvement and it said DD+ on the denon.

On the CX, it says atmos and involves heights.

I wonder why the panny couldn't pass through the DD+ with the height channel data :(

Has anyone updated their CX-GX to the latest firmware 3.10.44? It keeps prompting me but I haven’t run it as of yet. Any fixes on this update?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 5LB and 6LA versions of the CX please?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 5LB and 6LA versions of the CX please?

Answered in post #238 on previous page. It's just the colour of the stand, 5LB is silver and 6LA a darker grey.

Great review as always, so informative.

In your article re burn in for gaming you state, “if you follow the advice and use the correct image brightness settings with HDR gaming”

What is that advice? I don’t see that referenced anywhere and wat to make sure I follow it on my tv!

So decided to get a LG 65” Oled, currently the CX is £2499 but curry’s have last years E9 in my store for £1999, should I save myself £500 ?

I already have a x3400 denon atmos amp for sound, I have a PS5 preordered and use an Nvidia shield for media if any of that makes a difference?

I would also like to use the LG auto Calman generator that’s built into the CX, I assume it’s on the E9 as well?

thanks

So decided to get a LG 65” Oled, currently the CX is £2499 but curry’s have last years E9 in my store for £1999, should I save myself £500 ?

I already have a x3400 denon atmos amp for sound, I have a PS5 preordered and use an Nvidia shield for media if any of that makes a difference?

I would also like to use the LG auto Calman generator that’s built into the CX, I assume it’s on the E9 as well?

thanks
Only if you buy one for me please.
year to year improvemeats are so incremental. Do a ratings.com comparison of both models to be sure ... but the c9 was slights brighter than this years cx it seems on some reviews. Prob never notice that.

But $$ very easy to notice.

Will black Friday pricing be cheaper there? Here in the USA Cx is at $2,249 and I expect it will be $2,000 at my local Costco after 2% rebate plus 5 yr warranty included. (No burn in though but not worried) but I’d do your deal if I had it. $650 diff in US dollars seems really good.

Just ordered the 65" CX - what are you all using for sound. The lack of DTSX is somewhat annoying.

Currently don't have an avr so I'm looking towards soundbars etc.

Sonos ARC.

DTS is not really an issue for me, I stream a lot, discs with DTS only on occasion, so I put up with stereo or transcode it to DD 5.1 on xbox.

Hi everyone... i just noticed yesterday while watching Netflix on my cx 65” there is cracklings noise from the speakers while playing content with heavy bass is that normal or faulty speaker?

Just ordered the 65" CX - what are you all using for sound. The lack of DTSX is somewhat annoying.

Currently don't have an avr so I'm looking towards soundbars etc.

I'm rocking the Sony STR-DN1080 with my CX 77" over eARC, and I'm having MASSIVE issues with my HTPC passing audio to it. It's working perfectly with my PS4 and the TV's inbuilt apps, but using the HTPC with RTX 3090 has been a frickin' nightmare! It seems to be an eARC handshaking issue, as the ARC light on the Sony AVR is continually flashing when using the HTPC.

Resetting my TV to default settings seems to have fixed my CX, but I'm still having quirks. Gsync/VRR doesn't work, but it's a known bug. Bummer, as it's a key gaming feature of this range.

Does anyone know if the bracket mounts between the c8 and the c10 are the same?

Looking at potentially buying the tk10 stand but it was built for the c8

Hi guys, I bought a 65CX and I'm waiting for it to be delivered to me. Where can I find some good calibrations settings? I saw the one on rtings, but I guess there are some in here too.
Anyway I'm worried aviut burn-in and here in Italy there is no warranty about this issue. I hope that this expensive and beautiful TV will last some years

Hi guys, I bought a 65CX and I'm waiting for it to be delivered to me. Where can I find some good calibrations settings? I saw the one on rtings, but I guess there are some in here too.
Anyway I'm worried aviut burn-in and here in Italy there is no warranty about this issue. I hope that this expensive and beautiful TV will last some years
You could ask in the CX owners thread for recommendations, general consensus though is Filmmaker Mode is pretty accurate out the box.

I use it, dropped the OLED light to 30, and use Cinema for HDR.

I wouldn't worry about burn in, mix your viewing, and don't do the obvious like leaving static images on screen for hours on end etc.

You could ask in the CX owners thread for recommendations, general consensus though is Filmmaker Mode is pretty accurate out the box.

I use it, dropped the OLED light to 30, and use Cinema for HDR.

I wouldn't worry about burn in, mix your viewing, and don't do the obvious like leaving static images on screen for hours on end etc.

ok thank you!

You could also look at the settings on "TV Calibration with Darko" on YouTube. I used a mixture of his & rtings (There are only minor differences) for my B7 & am really happy.
We watch Movies & TV episodes (Nothing with a staic image like a News or Sports channel) & 🤞no burn in to date.

How far into the side edges of the TV panel does the back panel start getting deeper?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom