LG E6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK LG support website now updated with 05.30.30 firmware for 55E6V at;-

LG OLED55E6V Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.

and for UK 65E6V:-

LG OLED65E6V Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.

Note;-It still wasn't available via Check for Updates on TV when I tried a few minutes ago.

Sweet mother MacCrae! I've just spent the afternoon trying to download and update the TV via USB. It's never been an issue in the past, but the TV will not recognise the file and keeps going to the media options instead. Tried 3 different USB drives, but no dice, and it won't update over the net. I give up, far too hot for such shenanigans!

Is this supposed to be the one that fixes the Dolby Vision thing? it only mentions 'improvement to fix volume 0 when watching tv in the update' list

jj.jpg

Sweet mother MacCrae! I've just spent the afternoon trying to download and update the TV via USB. It's never been an issue in the past, but the TV will not recognise the file and keeps going to the media options instead. Tried 3 different USB drives, but no dice, and it won't update over the net. I give up, far too hot for such shenanigans!
I know you say you haven't had this issue before, but you are creating a new folder named "LG_DTV" in the root of the USB drive and unzipping the downloaded firmware to that folder, right?

I know you say you haven't had this issue before, but you are creating a new folder named "LG_DTV" in the root of the USB drive and unzipping the downloaded firmware to that folder, right?

Aye that I am. However I'm using a Mac book to download the file, and it's a completely alien OS to me. It looks like the Mac is unzipping the file as soon as it downloads, but I'm not sure? Unfamiliarity is breeding contempt in this case. Made sure the USB is formatted in FAT 32, file name LG_DTV, but bupkiss thus far.

Aye that I am. However I'm using a Mac book to download the file, and it's a completely alien OS to me. It looks like the Mac is unzipping the file as soon as it downloads, but I'm not sure? Unfamiliarity is breeding contempt in this case. Made sure the USB is formatted in FAT 32, file name LG_DTV, but bupkiss thus far.
Just to be clear, you are placing the downloaded uncompressed firmware into a folder named LG_DTV?

Just to be clear, you are placing the downloaded uncompressed firmware into a folder named LG_DTV?

Sorry, that I am. A buddy's just offered to lend me a Windows laptop,so I think I may take him up on the offer. It's just odd that the TV can't download the update online itself? But I'm not the only one with that issue.

Sorry, that I am. A buddy's just offered to lend me a Windows laptop,so I think I may take him up on the offer. It's just odd that the TV can't download the update online itself? But I'm not the only one with that issue.
Is it available OTA and not working? Or just not available for some?

I installed OTA but it seems not to be available to most people.

Is it available OTA and not working? Or just not available for some?

As far as I know some owners had their TV's update OTA since Monday. Some, like myself, have not been able to do so. I don't know why though.

As far as I know some owners had their TV's update OTA since Monday. Some, like myself, have not been able to do so. I don't know why though.
Is it safe to OTA? I’m used to never trusting OTA updates like BIOS etc, Bricking motherboards - can it go wrong OTA or is it fairly fault tolerant?

It should download in its entirety and then verify the download before installing. Should be every bit as safe as installing from USB drive.

It should download in its entirety and then verify the download before installing. Should be every bit as safe as installing from USB drive.
Cool, usr tried and on my C6 it’s not showing so.... where did I put that USB stick...

Before the update BBCi player UHD world Cup games were playing in HLG UHD but there was extreme variances in brightness that HLG should have sorted. As in the difference in sunlight & shadow shown at same time. There's a bug somewhere along the chain or even the on site cameras are not HDR.

That is strange. I have used my iMac to unzip all past FW updates and placed them in a folder named LG_DTV, and never had an issue transferring to usb stick and then to my E6. The tv must be on when you install the usb stick into the tv. If you attach usb stick to tv when it's off, and then turn the tv on, it will not recognize the new FW.

Is this supposed to be the one that fixes the Dolby Vision thing? it only mentions 'improvement to fix volume 0 when watching tv in the update' list
It appears to have done so. Before grey bars during credits on Gladiator, after applying update black bars as they should be.

That is strange. I have used my iMac to unzip all past FW updates and placed them in a folder named LG_DTV, and never had an issue transferring to usb stick and then to my E6. The tv must be on when you install the usb stick into the tv. If you attach usb stick to tv when it's off, and then turn the tv on, it will not recognize the new FW.
Can't agree
I've just now updated with TV off, USB stick in slot. Soon as I powered on, my E6 detected update was available from the USB and sucessfully updated.

Can't agree
I've just now updated with TV off, USB stick in slot. Soon as I powered on, my E6 detected update was available from the USB and sucessfully updated.
You are correct
I’ve always done it with TV in standby and it is detected. Either will work just fine

I always have my E6 in standby when I plug/unplug a USB stick. I know it wouldn't matter if it wasn't in standby when I did this but I have just got into the habit of doing it this way. Still recognises that there is a firmware update when I turn the E6 back on.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to turning things off, shutting apps down etc.

Before the update BBCi player UHD world Cup games were playing in HLG UHD but there was extreme variances in brightness that HLG should have sorted. As in the difference in sunlight & shadow shown at same time. There's a bug somewhere along the chain or even the on site cameras are not HDR.
Are you implying that after the update you see this fixed? Or that you no longer get hlg? Or simply making a statement and have not installed yet.
Personally I'm waiting until more feedback that the OTA/official USB and the beta are the same. It concerns me that the file sizes are very different

The HLG UHD broadcast is nothing to do with TV's or errors. It is due to the decision to have even exposure on the cameras to take advantage of the HDR extra headroom. In the SDR broadcast they simply choose to overexpose bright areas so you lose detail in the bright areas, but it brightens the overall image, unnaturally.

The HLG image reflects the difference between the light and shadowed parts. I don't know if you've ever been to centre court but it actually looks like the HLG HDR broadcast. It is darker there then it seems on TV. The HDR image is more true to life. Once you've adjusted it is fine.

Some of the earlier football broadcasts went too far and under exposed dark areas but since the first week or so they've stopped doing this.

Anyone using an Oppo 203 to their E6? If so could you point me in the direction of some settings to use on the Oppo 203 to make use of the Dolby Vision feature for both UHD and HD discs. I think I may be using it correctly but would appreciate any guidance to make sure I am.

Anyone using an Oppo 203 to their E6? If so could you point me in the direction of some settings to use on the Oppo 203 to make use of the Dolby Vision feature for both UHD and HD discs. I think I may be using it correctly but would appreciate any guidance to make sure I am.
If you have Dolby Vision viewing modes on your E6 when playing HDR10 UHDs and HD blu-rays you are using the feature correctly; if you don't, you're not.

As your question concerns Oppo settings rather than LG E6 ones you may get a better response on the Oppo 203 owners thread.

Edit:
How does forcing Dolby Vision output work?
When Setup -> Video Setup -> HDR Setting -> HDR is set to "Dolby Vision", the OPPO will convert non-Dolby Vision video to Dolby Vision, when possible.

This works for standard Blu-ray and UHD discs with and without HDR.

It does not work for interlaced sources like DVD or for media files like MKV. In my testing it did not work for 3D Blu-ray.

As to how the conversion works, according to OPPO:

As for the Dolby Vision setting for HDR, that is correct that all content will be converted to Dolby Vision and output as Dolby Vision. We do not have specific details on how it works because the SDK was provided to us by Dolby. Customers are reporting that Blu-ray content with a Dolby Vision conversion does look slightly better, while HDR content did not see much improvement.

Unofficial OPPO UDP-203 Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom