LG EF950v Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 4

Ok, thanks.
I do understand AV stuff but some of it goes over my head, I’ll be honest. The more technical calibration terminology and adjustments.
But I’m trying to learn.
Yeah calibration is a whole different ball game to general av stuff , and like I said each panel is different, I wouldn't touch your cms(colour management system) as if you move it too much it can add artefacts to the image, as LG's implementation is rubbish lol, I will say a properly calibrated image takes a good few days to get used too if you are used to another image preset with more blue in it, just go with it though and you'll eventually appreciate the image on screen and how natural it is

Yeah calibration is a whole different ball game to general av stuff , and like I said each panel is different, I wouldn't touch your cms(colour management system) as if you move it too much it can add artefacts to the image, as LG's implementation is rubbish lol, I will say a properly calibrated image takes a good few days to get used too if you are used to another image preset with more blue in it, just go with it though and you'll eventually appreciate the image on screen and how natural it is

Ok, gotcha.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to have on screen while making adjustments?
A particular film or scene?

Or just make the adjustments and then tweak them as required?

I usually like to have something colorful or detailed on screen to help with tweaking.

lol

Ok.
I’ll see if anyone has any setting suggestions..

try these as a base line setting, i used these on my mates B7 and they worked pretty well as a base to start from.

Pause the scene with the orange face.

Use ISF 1 and set these.

OLED 100 (fixed)
contrast 100 (fixed)
brightness - try 52 or lower
colour 50
gamma 2.2
warm2
wide colour gamut

I had a look at ECO, there are some nasty presets on there, super res medium will increase the bobbing noise as well high colour settings, use off for 4k material with super res.

Hmm, your screen shot looks a lot less toxic than mine.
The scene on my tv was fluorescent!
In fact, any scene that has rich reds or oranges are awash with “noise”.
I even cranked my colour setting down and it’s still really noisy..
Like the scene where the kids are routing through the wheelie bin looking for the bug. The brick work in the background was popping and fizzing like mad
what brick work should look like on the 950
20160308_212119.jpg

Do you have any suggestions as to what to have on screen while making adjustments?
A particular film or scene?

Or just make the adjustments and then tweak them as required?

I usually like to have something colorful or detailed on screen to help with tweaking.
Nothing on screen, just adjust and watch something as natural as possible,and take a few days to get used to the image, tweaking by eye is hard, you can generally see if a TV is pushing too much green, or red for example

Hey guys,

Ok, I’ll have a little play.
Regarding me using Eco, I don’t leave the Eco settings as they are. I’ve adjusted all of the settings in Eco to get the picture right.
It’s weird but I really do seem to get better results compared to using one of the expert settings.
I’ve played with all the picture modes.
I’ll keep at it.

Went to look at some TVs yesterday with Mum.
She prefers the B7 compared to the C7.
C7 has a weird black beading round the edge of the screen.
B7 has a more sleek design.
But don’t know why they have the B7 the curved stand.
C7 has a stand that is almost identical to the 950 and looks a lot better.
Shame, but I don’t think it’ll spoil the purchase too much.

try these as a base line setting, i used these on my mates B7 and they worked pretty well as a base to start from.

Pause the scene with the orange face.

Use ISF 1 and set these.

OLED 100 (fixed)
contrast 100 (fixed)
brightness - try 52 or lower
colour 50
gamma 2.2
warm2
wide colour gamut

I had a look at ECO, there are some nasty presets on there, super res medium will increase the bobbing noise as well high colour settings, use off for 4k material with super res.

Do you not find having the oled light and contrast set to 100 is too bright?

I currently have oled light set to around 50 and contrast at around 70

Do you not find having the oled light and contrast set to 100 is too bright?

I currently have oled light set to around 50 and contrast at around 70
100 is auto setting with HDR

100 is auto setting with HDR
That’s strange.
When watching Stranger Things, tv switches to HDR and oled light is set to 80 and contrast is set to 75 (I think). These settings are greyed out when HDR is on so I can’t change them.

press olay on an episode and immediately hold down the settings wheel, this brings up settings quickly, you have to get this open before it jumps into HDR, then you can change them, silly I know but it works.

press olay on an episode and immediately hold down the settings wheel, this brings up settings quickly, you have to get this open before it jumps into HDR, then you can change them, silly I know but it works.

Ah, sneaky!

Anyone else get the Xbox One X and then immediately lose their excitement when you realise HDR doesn’t work on this TV!?

Anyone else get the Xbox One X and then immediately lose their excitement when you realise HDR doesn’t work on this TV!?

Mine does on battlefield 1 when I tested it today?

I went to settings and got a bunch of (your tv doesn’t support this) error messages.

I went to settings and got a bunch of (your tv doesn’t support this) error messages.

Check tv settings,picture,HDMI ultra hd deep colour,is switched on for the hdmi your plugged into

I’ve just got the Xbox One X too, but the colours look really washed out when HDR is on. Just tried Forza 7 so far. Anyone else have this problem? Tv is calibrated.

Just got an xbox x a few days ago. First time experiencing a UHD HDR disk. It looked amazing. I haven't been a fan of HDR on other things (Netflix) but wow. On the UHD disk (Planet Earth 2) it was amazing.

Yeah, when it's well done, HDR can look absolutely amazing on this TV.

for a bit of fun i decided to do my 5 and 10 slides to see what they looked like nearly 2 years on = look better than before to my eyes :thumbsup:
20171112_202638.jpg
20171112_202819.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom