LG GX (OLED65GX) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Great review Steve I watched LG's wall mounting video for the GX and its very clever and looks stunning.

In different circumstances, I would be very tempted by the 77-inch version of this, which costs £5K.

Brilliant, thanks, Steve - any chance you or the team have some 'real-life' picture of how it looks in a normal environment and 'normal' living room or did you have used the stand rather the recessed wallmount?

Thanks!

Brilliant, thanks, Steve - any chance you or the team have some 'real-life' picture of how it looks in a normal environment and 'normal' living room or did you have used the stand rather the recessed wallmount?

Thanks!
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but from the review Mr Withers says; "The stand is also optional (£99.99), but thankfully LG sent one with the review sample – which is just as well because I wasn’t going to wall mount. ".

660 nits really isn't very bright. And the lack of HDR10+ is unforgivable at that price point.

Do you reviewers have any way of putting a number on the impact of less-than-optimal colour volume?

And the lack of HDR10+ is unforgivable at that price point.
So, that will be all LG and Sony televisions then, at any price point. As is the converse with all Samsung televisions not doing Dolby Vision.

So, that will be all LG and Sony televisions then, at any price point. As is the converse with all Samsung televisions not doing Dolby Vision.
Certainly looking like more content providers and studios moving to towards DV anyway. HDR10+ support is a moot point now.

660 nits really isn't very bright. And the lack of HDR10+ is unforgivable at that price point.

Do you reviewers have any way of putting a number on the impact of less-than-optimal colour volume?

HDR10+ is dead-man walking and don't get hung up too much of peak brightness.

Design is fantastic,specs are in oled teritory but 660nits is dissaster because my B7 could hit more and it was 2017 set and tech should progress not regress.

We got the answer for that article did oled tech hit a wall....

is it easy to access the hdmi ports et al with this stand?

Great review Steve, have to agree, looks gorgeous !
One additional thing for gamers wanting to save a few ££, LG added HGiG setting under the Dynamic Tone Mapping sub-menu in the Game mode to the 2019 models via a firmware update last year, you should see it on your C9. I believe it hard clips HDR, so when you use the PS4’s HDR slider, the LG doesn’t tone map as well (on top of the PS4).

'Only' 660 nits...

Some people really need to stop getting hung up on numbers & just use their eyes.

The implication that this TV isn't bright enough is utterly ridiculous..

'Only' 660 nits...

Some people really need to stop getting hung up on numbers & just use their eyes.

The implication that this TV isn't bright enough is utterly ridiculous..
Agree, I just got a 65inch B9 this week and watched Atomic Blonde on 4k disc. The highlights on screen were more than bright enough, I was really impressed.
As for the GX it looks lovely but they have missed a trick by not implementing a similar system to Samsungs one connect and not having the catch services there on launch is mystifying. Someone at LG clearly dropped a bollock there!

Last edited:
I came to oled from plasma so i was thinking the same.....i dont need more brightness.
Until i saw what q90r can do with HDR...its not only higlights its entire scene...how alive and realistic it looks...colors.
But even that is not most impressive i saw...Samsung micro led The Wall showed me how HDR can look and its unbeliveble.
Oled is on the bottom of this scale...far on the bottom,its not that hdr is bad on B7...actualy is oposite...its looks fantastic but this high brightness of q90r is much closer to micro led impression then oleds.
And like i wrote...660nits is less then 2017 models so it is not normal,it should go up to 1000nits not going backward.
EDIT:
Maybe LG is going down with brightness because of burn in,if higher hdr brightness affect the rate of ageing of pixels it could be possible.

Last edited:
Great Review
But Hgig Tone mapping is not a cx exclusive, the c9 also supports it, it was added after a firmware update
Thx for that Review, I love that homepage

I think LG won’t increase brightness but improve where its weakness lies; near black & screen uniformity. Banding and Tints have been the main reasons for returning OLEDs, improvements needed there.

700 nits brightness is the norm, as LG is terrified of screen burns/image retention, if it tries to increase any further, say 850 or 900 nits.

Thanks!
I used the stand LG sent me and had to place the 65GX in front of a 77C9, which didn't make for a very representative picture.

is it easy to access the hdmi ports et al with this stand?
The GX fits flush against the wall, but it looks like it hooks on to the bracket. So to access the HDMI inputs you would simply need to unhook the TV. For the 65- and 77-inch models that's a two-person job though, because they're obviously large and very heavy.

Maybe LG is going down with brightness because of burn in,if higher hdr brightness affect the rate of ageing of pixels it could be possible.
The average peak brightness of LG's 2019 OLED TVs was around 700nits based on the various models I've reviewed and calibrated. Since there is significant variation from panel to panel and this is the first 2020 LG OLED I've measured, it's too early to draw any conclusions.

The GX fits flush against the wall, but it looks like it hooks on to the bracket. So to access the HDMI inputs you would simply need to unhook the TV. For the 65- and 77-inch models that's a two-person job though, because they're obviously large and very heavy.
Steve what is your opinion....why new oled series is not aproaching 1000nits teritory but instead going backward?
Some maybe 2y ago lots of us was wondering when LG will break 1000nits barier but this way it wont happen.
Could it be because higher brightness is accelerating ageing of pixels?....
EDIT:
You answered at same time i was wroting this post 🥂

Hi Steve, Great review as always and well done with last nights live stream. Just curious about isf dark measuring 120nits at the default OLED light of 60. I have the C9 and the difference between OLED light at 25 and 60 seems pretty noticeable. I know it’s a different TV, but I was under the impression that LG aimed for 200 nits as a default for the isf dark (based on Phil’s conversation at CES). I know you also said 120 nits on Sunday’s podcast, so I’m assuming it is correct.

One additional thing for gamers wanting to save a few ££, LG added HGiG setting under the Dynamic Tone Mapping sub-menu in the Game mode to the 2019 models via a firmware update last year, you should see it on your C9. I believe it hard clips HDR, so when you use the PS4’s HDR slider, the LG doesn’t tone map as well (on top of the PS4).
But Hgig Tone mapping is not a cx exclusive, the c9 also supports it, it was added after a firmware update.
Thanks guys. I did check the Dynamic Tone Mapping menu on my C9 but couldn't see it. Perhaps I need to update the firmware?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom