LG HU85LS CineBeam Laser 4K Review & Comments

No 3D on this ☹. I think it is on the other two do, that will be my next upgrade so I can keep 3D.

It's funny, but because I was thinking of the HU85LS as an alternative to a TV, I never even considered 3D. However you're correct, there's no 3D. I'll point that out in the review.

Interesting review, thanks. It's a nice form factor. I may have to look into what other UST alternatives there are. I do love my C9, but the lounge would look better freed from a big black rectangle.

Shame about the 78ms lag though, which completely kills this for me.

Interesting review, thanks. It's a nice form factor. I may have to look into what other UST alternatives there are. I do love my C9, but the lounge would look better freed from a big black rectangle.

Shame about the 78ms lag though, which completely kills this for me.
A TV will always be a better for a lounge, just because of its brightness. The HDR experience will also be superior, for similar reasons. The HU85LS is pretty bright, but there was a profound difference between the image it produced in my lounge and one I watched in my home cinema.

No 3D on this ☹. I think it is on the other two do, that will be my next upgrade so I can keep 3D.
It's funny, but because I was thinking of the HU85LS as an alternative to a TV, I never even considered 3D. However you're correct, there's no 3D. I'll point that out in the review.
Oh that's bad. I was about to comment on comparing this to using my VR goggles. Similar downsides in terms of black levels, but even worse because VR can't do HDR. BUT (with a lot of initial set up) it does 3D. This was ONLY reason I was even considering a short throw projector.

Looks like they're pulling a bit of a fiddle in the HDR mode measured, perhaps to get the brightness up, the gamut appears to have actually shrunk vs SDR! Green primary is notable.

Any plan to get one of the RGB laser Hisense units in?

Looks like they're pulling a bit of a fiddle in the HDR mode measured, perhaps to get the brightness up, the gamut appears to have actually shrunk vs SDR! Green primary is notable.

Any plan to get one of the RGB laser Hisense units in?
Given this projector uses three lasers, I was surprised at the gamut measurements. It's possible there was a problem with my meter measuring a laser light source, but that seems unlikely and it wouldn't account for it measuring so small. I think you're right, it might have something to do with LG boosting the brightness. Having said that, the images looked vibrant and saturated with actual HDR content.

There are no plans to get any of the Hisense units in at the moment, I feel they would mount a logistical challenge.

Given this projector uses three lasers, I was surprised at the gamut measurements. It's possible there was a problem with my meter measuring a laser light source, but that seems unlikely and it wouldn't account for it measuring so small. I think you're right, it might have something to do with LG boosting the brightness. Having said that, the images looked vibrant and saturated with actual HDR content.

There are no plans to get any of the Hisense units in at the moment, I feel they would mount a logistical challenge.
The "green refiner" on the blue laser might be part of the cause I guess, plus they might be desaturating if the HDR patterns you're using are 100% stimulus to give the impression of a bit more headroom. That green is almost as bright as the white reading at 64 vs 67 nits!

I know for best results a 5nm spectro or better should be used with Lasers, but Jeti's own data seems to imply the x,y deltas are still pretty small so probably not that.

If its using an XPR chip then presumable it will be forced to use 60hz regardless of source?

Although it will accept a 24p or 50hz signal the conversion to 60hz that the chips are forced to run at will likely result in some pull down or motion problems with 24p and 50hz material.

I can't say I've noticed motion problems on this or any DLP projector using the XPR chip.

I can't say I've noticed motion problems on this or any DLP projector using the XPR chip.

Fair enough! it might be that LG are using some post processing to smooth things out?

The motion problems Ive seen demonstrated on several models using the XPR chips on video reviews of various projectors. Looking at 24 hour news 'Ticker tape ' scrolling across the screen with 50hz material and objects flying across the screen with 24p material shows telecinic judder as a consequence of the XPR chips only operating at 60hz.

How is £5000 Cost effective .... bloody hell I was expecting it to be around a grand 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂

Cost-effective relative to a TV with a screen size of 90 to 120 inches. As I point out in the review, it's definitely not cost-effective compared to the various alternative projectors I recommend.

Cost-effective relative to a TV with a screen size of 90 to 120 inches. As I point out in the review, it's definitely not cost-effective compared to the various alternative projectors I recommend.
yeah I got suckered in with the headline but iam still happy with my optoma hd25 so I'll wait for the price to be alot lower 👍

This bit can't be right surely. Should that be cm?

The ultra-short-throw projected image ranges from 90 inches at 56mm from the wall or screen, up to 120 inches at 183mm.

This bit can't be right surely. Should that be cm?

It's an Ultra Short Throw.

best-ust-projectors-for-2020.png

I take it back then, that's impressively short throw.

How is £5000 Cost effective .... bloody hell I was expecting it to be around a grand 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂
You can already pick other examples for £2700 like the Epson EH-LS500W as you say the price is dropping already.

You can already pick other examples for £2700 like the Epson EH-LS500W as you say the price is dropping already.

The price in the US of the LG has dropped ~25% since it was launched.

These are new types/class of projectors, and as always there is a premium on new tech.

Thanks for the in-depth review. Out of interest did you use an ALR screen with the projector when reviewing and if so, which one?

Last edited:
Thanks for the in-depth review. Out of interest did you use an ALR screen with the projector when reviewing and if so, which one?
No I didn't. I have a dedicated home cinema, so I tested the projector there and also in my lounge where I used a white wall. While a lot of people will simply do the latter, as I point out in the review a screen (and especially one with an ambient light rejecting material) will help the projector in less-than-ideal conditions. However no matter what type of screen you use, the HU85LS will struggle in ambient light when compared to a large screen TV.

I have pulled the trigger on the Optima UHZ65LV the guy at Optima told me that the UHZ65 is the better projector for movie viewing as the UHZ65LV is too bright and is a semi-professional projector anyway I explained I love 3D films then the guy said that makes sense as the brightness of 5000 lumens will do the 3d films justice and as well it should lase me for at least 20 years before it will ever need repalcing so good investment I say to know this will last at least 20 years. parts I was told will always be available if ever a fault developed.

Strange thing is I was told by another source who has seen thsi product by way or a preview that the crystal clear image is breath taking and will be the ultimate home cinema projector at the price point as nothing can come close.

Read the below review a guy in the good old US of A gave it a rave review but then was it a paid review who knows I think I will be pleased with it and knowing it will last me for years hopefully this will be a projector I will happly own for the next forseeable future. I mean it has everything really is super bright and 3D movies will simply be jaw dropping some dont like 3D films but I love them I have to say.

Anyway there you go. Digital Laser projection is the way of the future and soon all lamp based projectors will be a thing of the past thats the way this technology is going.

Optoma UHZ65LV Native 4K UHD 5000 Lumen Home Cinema Laser Projector - Optoma Optoma-UHZ65LV

Or watch thsi video on teh Optoma UHZ65.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom