LG HU85LS CineBeam Laser 4K Review & Comments

Or watch thsi video on teh Optoma UHZ65.

Ahh yes... "TVS Pro" Ive come across many of their "reviews" before.

Much like your 'guy from Optoma' or your own scepticism of a 'paid' review Ive never really trusted a retailer who sells and heavily pushes Optoma. They also in fact sells their own rebadged 'Theo' Optoma products.

My own scepticism really doubles down with such retailers that insist on calling these products 'True 4k' it either suggests ignorance or a willingness to lie thats not to be trusted.

Always better to trust a review or an option that doesn't have an economic interest in what they're "reviewing."

So the dastardly deed has been done. Ahh well bought now and looking forward to receiving it.

I know you can get a big image from this...but ultimately (and I’ve been wondering about this for so long) how does the image compare to a typical £750 75in LG or Samsung that are in abundance. I am all for the big image (my optoma produces a wonderful 92in HD image that imho is sublime) but it is for dimly lit viewing rooms only. I’ve not seen a 75in in action and I’m think it has better opportunity to at least do some sort of HDR, that a projector can’t even hint at. A bit of topic but I’d welcome opinion (or point me somewhere on the forum where this is / has been discussed.

What's the fan noise like on this model? I have the Xiaomi UST at the moment and it's too loud for me so thinking of changing when something similar becomes affordable, certainly not at £5K!

What's the fan noise like on this model? I have the Xiaomi UST at the moment and it's too loud for me so thinking of changing when something similar becomes affordable, certainly not at £5K!
I have the Xiaomi UST also. Am thinking of replacing it w the LG HU85. Haven’t had a demo of it yet but have heard online that the LG can suffer from coil whine noise.

Anyone know of a U.K. based retailer selling the LG HU85LS?

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Steve, did LG say if they are adding Apple TV+ and Disney+ to the selection at any point? I don’t understand why they wouldn’t be there in the first place if it has webos 4.5.

I have the Xiaomi UST also. Am thinking of replacing it w the LG HU85. Haven’t had a demo of it yet but have heard online that the LG can suffer from coil whine noise.

Another option here, the Optoma CinemaX P2, almost half the price of the LG too. I've just noticed all these new UST projectors are very heavy though. The Xiaomi is about 7kg whereas the the LG is 12kg, something to take into account if you're wall mounting it.

Last edited:
Am seeing that the HU85LS is on sale via Amazon Prime U.K. at £4,341.74. With Samsung’s announcement of two new UST projectors, maybe LG has a new gen model in the wings and is starting the discount the current one. Just me speculating.

Ok thanks Steve, pity as that would have been the only other app i would be needing. Doesn't help there's only 2 HDMI inputs either.
Forget the LG, the new Samsung ultra-short-throw laser is the one to get. It has built-in tuners, the full Samsung smart platform with every streaming app including Now TV, 3 HDMI inputs, a genuinely good sound system and support for HDR10+.

Looks like the Samsung has launched in the USA .

No mention of 3D or if you can change aspect ratio..16:9 or 2.35:1 ??

Why do they even bother with embargoes? Yes, no 3D but that's hardly surprising given it's Samsung (there's no 3D on the competing LG projectors either). And it's DLP so again the lack of lens shift and zoom is hardly surprising, plus it's ultra-short-throw so changing aspect ratio isn't really an option.

Why do they even bother with embargoes? Yes, no 3D but that's hardly surprising given it's Samsung (there's no 3D on the competing LG projectors either). And it's DLP so again the lack of lens shift and zoom is hardly surprising, plus it's ultra-short-throw so changing aspect ratio isn't really an option.
Hi Steve, Can I assume from your comments that we can expect an announcement of UK release date and pricing for the Sammy UST Projectors on or before 11th Nov?

Forget the LG, the new Samsung ultra-short-throw laser is the one to get. It has built-in tuners, the full Samsung smart platform with every streaming app including Now TV, 3 HDMI inputs, a genuinely good sound system and support for HDR10+.
I've already researched both Samsung Premier models but none of them will do for me. My needs require a maximum screen diagonal of 92" with a throw ratio of 0.19, so the only model i could currently get would be the LG. If the Samsung LSP9T could do a screen size of 90" instead of the smallest being 100" then it would fit my needs as it has the same throw ratio of the LG. I take it you can't go lower than what the manufacturer states or you have a focus problem? The LSP7T does do a 90" screen diagonal but has a throw ratio of 0.25 which is too much as it would take the projector too far out into my living room. You are correct that technically the Samsung smashes the LG and if it could fit my needs i would be getting the LSP9T but currently it's a no go. Once UST projectors reach down to an 80" diagonal screen size with a smaller throw ratio then i honestly think they have the potential to replace Tvs for the masses.

Brian

Surely they'll go lower, I'm hoping for 84". Can't see a massive UK market for them if they don't go lower than 120/130"

Surely they'll go lower, I'm hoping for 84". Can't see a massive UK market for them if they don't go lower than 120/130"
The Samsung Premiere LSP9T goes down to 100" and the LSP7T goes down to 90". But you are correct if manufacturers don't lower the screen size and throw ratio of their UST projectors for the standard living room size of UK homes then they will not be a replacement for a tv as the manufacturers are stating their UST projectors are. Maybe next year we'll see a shift in that direction?

Many do already, I currently have a Xiaomi UST, they advertise 50-150". I don't understand where the limitation is with the Samsung's, can't you just move the unit closer to the wall to get a smaller picture?

Cheers Steve

I didn't realise that UST projectors can't change the aspect ratio - could you use a Lumagen video processor in between the source and UST projector to achieve the anamorphic display/ratio ??

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom