LG Nano90 LCD TV Review & Comments

Ah ok, thanks Phil. Have LG commented on when the catch up apps are likely to appear, as I am considering the CX but don't want to lose a HDMI with a catch up box?
From LG
” When pushed to state when BBC iPlayer and other terrestrial apps would be added they continued, “Unfortunately at this current moment we’re unable to confirm if and when terrestrial apps will be coming to the 2020 models, however, we hope to have an update on this soon.”

I had high hopes for this set, but the lack of catch up apps and comments ref movies in dark rooms have put me off.

I'm currently watching a 65" UE65M9000 Samsung with awful back-light bleed. Bought it because were watching head on, but the purchase of a new home and alternative room layout means that wide viewing angles are a must.

I had hoped that I could have picked up a mid range LG for around the 700 mark (which I appreciate that this set isn't priced at) to keep me going until I could grab an oled, but if this set isn't upto much then last years range won't be eithier. Ah well. Guess I'll sit on the floor for movie nights for a while

I read in the review that the 2.1 inputs are "full fat" 48Gbs, but I have read elsewhere that they are only 40Gbs, as are the 2020 Denon receivers.
The LG OLED TVs this year are 40Gbps. The Nano90 is full-fat 48Gbps on two of the HDMI inputs, this was verified by our Murideo Seven Generator's EDID interrogation.

32 zones in their top model......
But,.. you'never see more IPS-panels with local dimming zones,.. I think ?? I think,.. an IPS panel is not for people who want to watch in the dark.. But more for people who want to watch in family-setting for tv-shows.. and need wide-viewing-angles.. and don''t buy oled for reasons of price or image-retention/burn. And for getting 2 % windows or 5 % windows up to 700 nits with an IPS-panel and no severe blooming.. you will need 400 dimmingzones and more.. maybe.. BUt,.. it's only what I see.. combination of ips and dimming-zones is rare..

The LG OLED TVs this year are 40Gbps. The Nano90 is full-fat 48Gbps on two of the HDMI inputs, this was verified by our Murideo Seven Generator's EDID interrogation.
I didnt know that you can check hdmi ports....so you can check any tv dose it have reall hdmi 2.1 port?
I m curious about hdmi port 4 on Q90R.....

A bit of a mixed bag, and in spite of a few new bells and whistles, there's nothing to compel me to want to replace my 2019 LG Nano.

I don't understand why all of the HDMI ports aren't the same in terms of their functionality. It potentially makes life a lot more awkward when it comes to connecting peripheral devices. As for the lack of catch-up services, what apps. ARE actually available? It would have been helpful to have a list. Presumably Netflix and Amazon are there, along with Apple and Disney. Is NowTV, or any of the other UK catch-up services like All4? Is it just iPlayer that's AWOL?

One thing that these reviews never touch on is external connectivity. LG TVs are plagued with lip sync issues -- just look in this forum. Why isn't this sort of thing covered in reviews? It's not that we haven't asked for this in the past. Sure, it's a TV review, but I don't know many people who would just use the TV as-is. These are almost always connected to external hardware, so connecting the item under review to a soundbar, for example, would be helpful.

It strikes me that LG is clearly moving towards OLEDs, at the expense of this type of technology, which it still feels compelled to offer at present, in order to have non-OLED kit in its range, and to compete with other manufacturers, notably Samsung.

Very much 'meh'.

Disappointed to read that this just seems to be another average LCD from LG as I had read from other hands-on and reviews that they had knocked it out the park with this new one.

Disappointed to read that this just seems to be another average LCD from LG as I had read from other hands-on and reviews that they had knocked it out the park with this new one.
My friend bought an 86" LG NANO90 LCD. He preferred size rather than the OLED quality. We spent some time setting it up with his new B&W 600 series speakers and Denon X4500H receiver.
I have watched several 4K and Blu-ray movies on the set, and I think that the picture quality is excellent. I don't get to see as many TV's as Phil does, but, for what its worth, I highly recommend this TV if you don't want to go down the OLED path.

My friend bought an 86" LG NANO90 LCD. He preferred size rather than the OLED quality. We spent some time setting it up with his new B&W 600 series speakers and Denon X4500H receiver.
I have watched several 4K and Blu-ray movies on the set, and I think that the picture quality is excellent. I don't get to see as many TV's as Phil does, but, for what its worth, I highly recommend this TV if you don't want to go down the OLED path.
Good to hear, it must be hard to judge really without seeing both in the same environment, normally your home. Even seeing both next to each other in a shop won’t be the same because of lighting etc.

I know people knock LG and IPS, but this Nano 90 is supposed to have better dimming control. But I’m wondering if the Sony XH90 is worth £300 more.

As others have pointed out, there have been some relatively decent reviews of this set, which have praised the improvements in black levels in particular over previous LG LCD sets. I don't think any of us were expecting outright oled-like miracles from the NANO90, but going on this review it would appear there has been little change. I wonder will the 8K versions (which I believe have the superior a9 chip) prove any better.

As others have pointed out, there have been some relatively decent reviews of this set, which have praised the improvements in black levels in particular over previous LG LCD sets. I don't think any of us were expecting outright OLED-like miracles from the NANO90, but going on this review it would appear there has been little change. I wonder will the 8K versions (which I believe have the superior a9 chip) prove any better.
I didn't see last year's Nano TV so can't compare, but if they have improved the local dimming this year, I would hate to think what it looked like last year. I try to be fair and balanced with no bias and the major cons for me are the lack of contrast from the IPS panel along with obvious local dimming issues and blooming in dim room viewing. We all realise that every technology has its downsides and there is no such thing as a perfect TV. The LG Nano90 is not an overly bad LCD, it's just very middle of the road in terms of performance and really needs a well-lit room to perform at its best.

Always nice to read your reviews, Phil. I have a question. You state "Obviously being an LCD model there are no issues with automatic brightness limiting of the image, so highlights remain bright without the image dimming within some scenes." However, I read on Rtings' review of the Nano90 that it can't sustain its HDR brightness, and that the TV's peak brightness of 640 nits (10% window, cinema picture mode), only lasts for seconds before dropping to 310 nits. Could you perhaps comment on this. Cheers.

Always nice to read your reviews, Phil. I have a question. You state "Obviously being an LCD model there are no issues with automatic brightness limiting of the image, so highlights remain bright without the image dimming within some scenes." However, I read on Rtings' review of the Nano90 that it can't sustain its HDR brightness, and that the TV's peak brightness of 640 nits (10% window, cinema picture mode), only lasts for seconds before dropping to 310 nits. Could you perhaps comment on this. Cheers.

This review shows the same behaviour, that's still quite significant ABL. I assume he means in comparison oled it's not too bad? Oled would drop to maybe 180nits.

Guys Highly interested in LG’s NANO 90+ series but I need to be verified about the “ATMOS signal support over eARC with the internal Video Player of LG ?”

I know that I can play and send audio signal of DTS & Dolby Digital (5.1, 7.1) files to the eARC/ARC connected devices like AVRs and Soundbars while watching the USB connected HDD or flashdisks played by the internal Video Player of LG.

What I'm asking for information is;
- Does the internal player of LG NANO 90+ supports Dolby ATMOS files playing from USB HDD ?
May I send the Dolby ATMOS audio signals to my ATMOS capable AVR (Yamaha RX-A 1080) via eARC from a USB connected HDD to the TV while playing it in the LG internal Video Player ?

PS: What about the DTS support ?
LG says that they dropped DTS support… But can the new 2020 NANO 90+ series support DTS over USB only ?
Similarly, can the new NANO 90+ series support DTS and ATMOS over eARC “only if” the internal Video Player is playing a USB connected HDD?

I just want to play my USB HDD movies (with LG’s internal Player and send the audio signals (DOLBY, DTS & ATMOS) to my AVR (Yamaha RX-A 1080) via eARC.
  • Can it be done ?
Thanks in advance…

I assume, being LCD based, this LG does not have the gamma problems associated with VRR mode that the latest OLEDs suffer from?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the review, I was hoping for better results than those that you reported, but I guess that is the case with fewer dimming zones amongst the various parts of the technology that can't replicate the QLED performance.

Apart from QLED flagship, this result makes me think that for proper Film viewing OLED is the only way to go, with that choice being a personal preference, to get great film performance.

Although the TV will be discounted, this is in the ball park currently of a entry level OLED at the same size, so for me at least OLED is the one to choose.

The reason why I was hoping for better results is that I want a TV at 75 inch, and OLED is still out of my price bracket at that size.

Still, for viewing in lighter environments and just enjoying some light watching I can see these being a good choice, especially when discounted. It might make me look at the 75 inch version for the lounge I have which is well lit during the day.

Gordon
Did you purchase it?

Did you purchase it?
Hi no I did not purchase it as I have decided the Sony 900 series is a better TV so I am waiting on the reviews of the new series about to be released, then decide whether the older H series is to go for or the newer J series

Hi no I did not purchase it as I have decided the Sony 900 series is a better TV so I am waiting on the reviews of the new series about to be released, then decide whether the older H series is to go for or the newer J series
Nice did you go for the x900h?

Nice did you go for the x900h?
I will go for the 900H if it is still around whilst the reviews come through for the J series, I am going to weigh up whether the change in model brings incremental change or a significant improvement. I just have to hope the reviews for the new series are out earlier enough. However I know I will be buying a good TV in the X900H if the reviews for the new set aren't forthcoming by May.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom