LG OLED B9 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hey all! I was hoping to get feedback on my settings for a variety of devices. Any advice or feedback is appreciated :)

Input 1:

Apple TV – Dolby:

Dolby Vision Picture Mode – Standard (no edits)

Apple TV – HD:

Picture Mode – Standard (no edits)

Notes/Questions:

I do not like the look of Warm 2 and I think that with all the post processing left to default, watching an animated movie on Disney + is the most impressive thing on the TV.

Input 2:

PS4 – HDR:

HDR Picture Mode – Game (no edits)

Dynamic Tone Mapping is on, Color Temp is medium, Black Levels are low, Gamma is 2.2

PS4 – HD:

Picture Mode – Game (User Edited)

Gamma is changed from 2.2 to BT.1886

The rest is default - Super resolution low, color temp medium, black levels low

PS4 System Settings:

Resolution set to 2160p – RGB

RGB Range set to limited

Notes/Questions:

Should I change this to 2160p – YUV420?

Should I switch to HGIG in games that have an in-game HDR slider? This is complicated because it requires recalibration of HDR brightness in the PS4 menu.

Do I want to leave black levels low even when HDR is off?

Input 3:

PC – HDR:

HDR Picture Mode – Game (User Edited)

The only edits I made were to turn HGIG on and set black levels to low

PC – HD:

Black level is changed from auto to low

PC NVidia Control Panel Settings:

Output Color Format: RBG

Output Dynamic Range: Limited

Set to use NVidia Color Settings and everything at default

Notes/Questions:

Should I turn Dynamic Tone Mapping On for HDR games that do not have an in-game slider?

Do I want to leave black levels low even when HDR is off?

Should I change any of the NVidia settings?

Input 4:

Switch – HD:

Black levels low

Console set to limited range

How do you have different settings for HDR content and standard content?

I bought the LG B9 55 inch OLED from Richer Sounds this afternoon. I have a lot of content stored on a Synology NAS and normally play this via a media player on my old 40 inch Samsung TV. Does the LG B9 OLED have a media player and can this play MKV files from a NAS device.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

I bought the LG B9 55 inch OLED from Richer Sounds this afternoon. I have a lot of content stored on a Synology NAS and normally play this via a media player on my old 40 inch Samsung TV. Does the LG B9 OLED have a media player and can this play MKV files from a NAS device.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.
I use 2.5" external HDD 1TB connect directly into the USB on my B9 TV and that play wonderfully. Honestly I have no idea about the Synology NAS internal HDD. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. The synology NAS is connected to my router which is near my TV. I'm guessing it will be able to play MKV files through the inbuilt video player in the LG B9.

A question for you guys wondering if anyone has come across this

I have a 55" B9 and in general its a fantastic TV and well worth the £1100 I paid for it a few months ago.

Up to this point I have about 150 4k BR's ripped on my plex server and they are all tested via a pc to check the rip is ok (done via makemkv if it matters).

Every single disc/ rip works perfectly on the B9 until I got the original Star Wars Trilogy (A New Hope - Return of the Jedi) and while alll three of these work from a rip point of view on a pc , the B9 wont play any of the three - the sound track works perfectly but the video signal is completely corrupted and just a bunch of static and coloured lines from the 1st second of the rip.

As it was just those three discs, I was thinking that it was whatever encoding Disney had used on these 4k discs (as Mkv is just a "wrapper") was incompatible with the B9 plex software player. Given I have 150 working titles and 3 non working, I thought the odds on this was very low but I think these were my first Disney 4k discs - admittedly I had Marvel 4k but no Disney - so was thinking this was it.

Since then I have played other 4k rips like 1917, Angel Heart and a few others without issue at all.

The other day I got Captain Marvel on 4k - and this played the 1st 5 minutes or so of the film perfectly and then goes into the exact same kind of corruption as the Star Wars films. Ive got all the Avengers discs in 4k (and Ant-Man which was a more recent release I think) and they work perfectly so its not as though its just a Marvel / Disney issue.

Since Captain Marvel, I have again been able to play other films without issue but given that the player was able to display the first 5 minutes of this film,, surely the underlaying encode is perfectly ok?

When I first got the issue I checked the LG store for an update on the plex client but so far there isn't one - and I believe my tv is fully up to date with firmware

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi all.

I wonder if someone can help. When I try to cast movies from my PC to the TV I seem to get this error a lot. Does anyone know how to solve this as been doing my head in? I had the TV wired at some point and In pretty sure I got the same error?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

tv.jpg

Hi

I just got the LG B9, just a quick question when watching films in Dolby vision do I leave the oled light at 100 as I’ve read on some websites it should be at 50 for Dolby vision? Thanks

Loving my 65" B9 - even more so when I checked and found zero banding and vertical bars (unlike my C6). The picture on this thing is simply stunning.

My only niggle is my Arcam Solo Bar. It would turn on fine with my old C6 but this seems to not power on with the new TV 9/10. I have checked the settings under HDMI2 and have tried both manual and auto settings under audio settings.

Any suggestions welcome.

Also, to get around this I thought I could use the magic remote set-top-box power button to turn the soundbar on/off but even though I have set it up under the Connector page successfully every time I hit the button it asks me if I want to set up a device.. Confused!

I recently got my hands on an LG B9 and put it through its paces. There is a big comparison with an LG C9 and it is noticeable, I mean, for nearly half the price, there has to be! But the image quality was impressive. Overall, the TV is impressive, but one should never think you will get the same overall quality than the C9 or similar higher-end TV sets. Something's gotta give to justify the huge price difference. Overall, I would say, both are amazing TVs and it very much depends on your budget. We can all compromise on everything in life, and if saving yourself half the price sounds interesting, well, you won't find better 4K TV in this price range than the B9 today, guaranteed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the B9 half the cost of the C9? I have seen the B9 and C9 next to each other and I disagree that there is a big comparison.

I'd go with a reputable source of information like rtings than some lesser-known review.

"The LG B9 OLED and the LG C9 OLED have very similar performance. Any differences can be attributed to panel variance, including the slightly less aggressive ABL found on the B9. "

Last edited:
Are there any recommendations as to a wall mounting bracket for this TV? On the surface, it would seem like a basic VESA bar that screws into the wall would be fine... I only want it flat, not looking for any tilt/swivel.

Are there any recommendations as to a wall mounting bracket for this TV? On the surface, it would seem like a basic VESA bar that screws into the wall would be fine... I only want it flat, not looking for any tilt/swivel.

Lot's available - as you say it is a standard VESA mount so no worries there.

How about something from Amazon like this?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just seen John Lewis offering £100 gift card on this tv. I have a price match at 998 plus the 100. Seems like fine to finally buy?

Just seen John Lewis offering £100 gift card on this tv. I have a price match at 998 plus the 100. Seems like fine to finally buy?

Superb price. Pull the trigger.

Which TV model are you buying for £998, also where from, sounds like a great deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom