LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

Yeh ive really deliberated over new TV for ages, do I go oled or qled, had my 55 c8 for £1200 from RS with 6 year warranty so took plunge, it's more than I usually pay but the reviews all seemed good

But you’re not seeing any problems in real viewing are you? There is nothing wrong with your television. What’s the problem?

^^^^ agree
@Juggsy75
I’ve not read back over your posts, but I assume you realise OLEDs change and usually improve dramatically over the first 100 hours or so. The first few automatic pixel refreshes are crucial to it settling down.
Stop looking for problems. Your photos look fine to me.

Sorry if an already answered question but what's the engineering mode?

You can get them from the LG website and install from a USB stick by following the simple instructions on this page:
LG OLED55C8PLA Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.
Version 04.10.20 contains an important HLG fix for BBC iPlayer. It's from 2018 and is before all the firmwares which addressed the near-black chroma overshoot and altered the gamma. Make sure you have that one if you want a "safe" upgrade.[/QUOTE]
I believe the tv will automatically download all the updates that were available before the newest one in increments until it reaches the latest firmware version! Please correct me if that's not the case!

I believe the tv will automatically download all the updates that were available before the newest one in increments until it reaches the latest firmware version! Please correct me if that's not the case!

That is 100% not the case

how am I supposed to download the other updates first then if they not available to download anymore?

We went through this yesterday. The latest firmwares contain everything from the previous ones. You do not need to upgrade incrementally.

That is how firmware updates work

We went through this yesterday. The latest firmwares contain everything from the previous ones. You do not need to upgrade incrementally.

That is how firmware updates work I get it now ! I thought by downloading the latest firmware the tv would skip all the other former updates that were available in the older firmware versions thus skipping the so important fixes and improvements ! Thanks for clarifying !

So, I've read .55 update isn't great and if possible to avoid updating until next one after that, can anyone confirm this or not

Is this not like buying a new car and then complaining that the paintwork looks slightly blotchy if viewed under infra red light whilst it's raining?
Checking your purchase while you're in the return window is a protection for yourself as it is often much easier to deal with the retailer than the manufacturer. Everyone has different tolerances and will receive panels of differing quality. Your analogy isn't accurate because such blotches could appear for some without the infra red light, without the rain, with the sun, and so on. Game of Thrones this season was a particularly infra-reddy test, so if a panel passed that torture test then I would be inclined to say it's a keeper, but I'd still check for myself. Who is looking out for you if not yourself?
I suspect I'll get that when I get home then!
If gamma hasn't been measured by later tonight then I'll bite the bullet. Hopefully fixes the weird white input labels too. cc @jmacc.
Sorry if an already answered question but what's the engineering mode?
We're talking about the IN-START menu that you can access. It allows you to disable the dimming on static content, enable engineering mode for beta firmwares, and turn your TV into a nice black mirror when it won't switch on anymore. Tread carefully.
So, I've read .55 update isn't great and if possible to avoid updating until next one after that, can anyone confirm this or not
Yes, long story short, .55 is not that great. If you have no problems then stick with .20 until a newer version is out.

Checking your purchase while you're in the return window is a protection for yourself as it is often much easier to deal with the retailer than the manufacturer. Everyone has different tolerances and will receive panels of differing quality. Your analogy isn't accurate because such blotches could appear for some without the infra red light, without the rain, with the sun, and so on. Game of Thrones this season was a particularly infra-reddy test, so if a panel passed that torture test then I would be inclined to say it's a keeper, but I'd still check for myself. Who is looking out for you if not yourself?

If gamma hasn't been measured by later tonight then I'll bite the bullet. Hopefully fixes the weird white input labels too. cc @jmacc.

We're talking about the IN-START menu that you can access. It allows you to disable the dimming on static content, enable engineering mode for beta firmwares, and turn your TV into a nice black mirror when it won't switch on anymore. Tread carefully.

Yes, long story short, .55 is not that great. If you have no problems then stick with .20 until a newer version is out.
I get what they're saying, but it niggles me, some think my screen is fine, others say return it

I get what they're saying, but it niggles me, some think my screen is fine, others say return it
Unfortunately no oled is perfect mate..
I have had a fair few over the years and every single one had some kind of issue.
Usually along the lines of.. banding and tinting separately or together, my last c8 had a real good white screen (touch of pink) but a couple of bands I noticed in content, this new c8 has no bands I can see in any content but the white does have a blue push to it, specially the left side.
Just can't win.. i'm not bothered as I paid little over £1500 for a 65" c8 and I will get another tv in 2020 so no biggie..
I would only see it when screen goes bright white on an advert or whatever and looked right for it, never notice it in any games that are bright (snow levels) etc.
My return period has been and gone :thumbsup:

Last edited:

I fully agree that with the amount of money being spent we should expect a well manufactured unit.
As I understand it, the uniformity of these panels does vary, but is most of the variation seen in circumstances that it in day to day viewing would not be visible?
I 100% agree that if the set is faulty then a replacement should be sought but I wonder if quite a few sets are going back to the shop that would not be classed as faulty in normal use?
I love my C8 and regard the picture quality as stunning but I can guarantee that if I were to do the % grey test it would look bad and I'd then spend the rest of my life wishing I hadn't.

I fully agree that with the amount of money being spent we should expect a well manufactured unit.
As I understand it, the uniformity of these panels does vary, but is most of the variation seen in circumstances that it in day to day viewing would not be visible?
I 100% agree that if the set is faulty then a replacement should be sought but I wonder if quite a few sets are going back to the shop that would not be classed as faulty in normal use?
I love my C8 and regard the picture quality as stunning but I can guarantee that if I were to do the % grey test it would look bad and I'd then spend the rest of my life wishing I hadn't.
The problem is that if you don't look for issues then you have diminished rights outside of the return window. While you're within that window, you can return it for any reason you see fit. And as we all have difference tolerance levels, panel variations, viewing conditions, etc, it's best to check while your fate is in your own hands. Just my opinion. I know a lot of people think you shouldn't go looking for problems, but then how many times do we see people posting here about banding that appeared after two months, a stuck pixel they hadn't noticed before, yellow tint on one side, etc? These may have appeared over time, for sure, but you can't be certain if you didn't look in the first place.

05.20.02 measurements

05.20.00 just measured with a calibration I did a few months ago..

05.20.02 with the same calibration..

Looks identical to me. Needs touching up maybe, but no change between firmwares and peak brightness remained at target from several hundred hours ago.

@jmacc Inputs are still white :laugh:

05.20.02 measurements

05.20.00 just measured with a calibration I did a few months ago..

05.20.02 with the same calibration..

Looks identical to me. Needs touching up maybe, but no change between firmwares and peak brightness remained at target from several hundred hours ago.

@jmacc Inputs are still white :laugh:
Is this good or not

Is this good or not
It's good in the sense that nothing major seems to have changed between .00 and . 02. It also means these two still share the same tone curve as .20. It's unlikely LG will go back to the shadow-crushing . 55.

It's good in the sense that nothing major seems to have changed between .00 and . 02. It also means these two still share the same tone curve as .20. It's unlikely LG will go back to the shadow-crushing . 55.
So I was right not updating to .55 then

So I was right not updating to .55 then
Some people have been very happy with .55. At least with that one you can still downgrade to .20 if you don't like it. It's clear now though that LG are moving ahead with a picture closer to .20 as this is the second beta firmware to share its gamma curve.

Nobody here yet, a few mates who have oleds have said, that's why I asked here, get an opinion
Well then they are all wrong...fact...end of...not open to negotiation or discussion. I have spoken therefore it is law :thumbsup::D:clap:

Some people have been very happy with .55. At least with that one you can still downgrade to .20 if you don't like it. It's clear now though that LG are moving ahead with a picture closer to .20 as this is the second beta firmware to share its gamma curve.

I just downgraded mine from .55 to .20 in preparation for my calibration on Saturday by the isf god Gordon Fraser... it's just made me realise how poor .55 is.

"On a stormy day in the Scottish highlands, a piercing bolt of lightning shot down from the sky, blinding anyone within a 5 mile radius, and there he was tasked by the gods to banish picture quality outputting anything higher than delta error 3"

gordon_fraser.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom