LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

I sold my C8 over the weekend before their 2nd hand prices fall too much and jumped ship back to QLED (Q90T). I must say I am impressed with the Q90t. Black levels are good enough (not as good as oled, but I never watch tv in a completely dark room anyway) and I really like the higher brightness.

So, it has proved to me the qled is absolutely fine (actually better) if you watch tv during the day or with lights on in the room as I always do. And I must say the near-black of the Q90t is just so much better than oled - I rewatched some previously problematic GoT scenes yesterday (during the day, with curtains open) and its great not to see macro blocking or weird shapes in the dark of the winterfell crypt anymore. Qled clearly works for me, but it all depends what you want and how you watch tv.

Ok, you came from OLED and have you noticed the motion quality change? A week or so, I have been looking at Q80 from Samsung, and motion response was a total disaster comparing to my C8 OLED.

Ok, you came from OLED and have you noticed the motion quality change? A week or so, I have been looking at Q80 from Samsung, and motion response was a total disaster comparing to my C8 OLED.
I haven’t watched sports since I changed - but my take is that the Q90t is better with motion than the older q9fn - the difference between the q9fn and the C8 was stark to me. It’s less obvious between the Q90t and the C8... but I also haven’t tried the q80t either, so it’s difficult for me to comment on TVs that I haven’t owned... to me the motion between the Q90t and C8 is just slightly different, but I find it fine and I switched over without actually noticing it unless specifically looking for differences. I guess it depends how sensitive you are to the specific differences on whether it will be an issue for you. I returned the q9fn due to the motion for what it’s worth, but I don’t have the same issues with the Q90t. It’s ok to me

Hi everyone, 609 pages... what a ride!!
I have 2 small issues with my LG E8 (I know this is the C8 thread but it's the same panel and there's much more activity in this thread ^^) and my JBL 9.1, they're connected through HDMI ARC.

First is a lip sync issue with the webos Youtube app. It was mentionned several times here but I didn't see any fix/answer. Need to wait for a LG fix by firmware update I guess?
Second is a strange one: I only get sound from the soundbar (=HDMI ARC) when I choose HDMI out - PCM. When I choose AUTO, poof no more sound.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
(Disclosure: posted similar questions in LG E8 and JBL 9.1 threads)

I was thinking of getting the apply tv 4K but given that the apple TV app is on now the c8 I may not get one. Is there a difference in picture quality between Apple TV box and Apple TV app? is Netflix any better in terms of PQ on the box?

If you want to watch any extras on iTunes purchases, you will need and ATV, I don’t think you can play them otherwise.

I was thinking of getting the apply tv 4K but given that the apple TV app is on now the c8 I may not get one. Is there a difference in picture quality between Apple TV box and Apple TV app? is Netflix any better in terms of PQ on the box?
It's rumoured (Rodney) that a new box may appear this year or early next - just to confuse matters, for you.
Also, didn't some above say the app was having big issues?

20200922_002738.jpg

Tell me why we need HDR again?!

HD recording on Sky, OLED light 30!

Looks like it’s back

Doesn't look like we will be getting AirPlay 2/Homekit according to this article:

Anyone know how to turn on subtitles in the Apple TV app? Thought it would under accessibility but can’t see the option

Anyone know how to turn on subtitles in the Apple TV app? Thought it would under accessibility but can’t see the option

Actually found it, its in the TV’s accessibility option not the Apps.

It's rumoured (Rodney) that a new box may appear this year or early next - just to confuse matters, for you.
Also, didn't some above say the app was having big issues?
IMO the ATV box out performs the LG apps Netflix, Amazon & ATV for PQ, colour and depth. The LG apps seem to drop bandwidth randomly resulting in what looks like 720p display. The ATV box holds a solid 4K UHD and HD image, with nice looking HDR/DV.

Obviously subjective, but have tested a fair bit of content on my C8 using the apps and switching to the ATV box.

There’s nothing confirmed about what the next generation ATV box will include in terms of an “upgrade” over the current one. But rumours surround a larger storage capacity, up to 128gb and a new processing chip, which from what I’ve read is unlikely to improve PQ/image display for viewing films/series. More so to handle Apples new gaming platform. (Either A12X, used in 2018 iPad Pros or A14 used in 2020 iPhones)

IMO the ATV box out performs the LG apps Netflix, Amazon & ATV for PQ, colour and depth. The LG apps seem to drop bandwidth randomly resulting in what looks like 720p display. The ATV box holds a solid 4K UHD and HD image, with nice looking HDR/DV.

Obviously subjective, but have tested a fair bit of content on my C8 using the apps and switching to the ATV box.

There’s nothing confirmed about what the next generation ATV box will include in terms of an “upgrade” over the current one. But rumours surround a larger storage capacity, up to 128gb and a new processing chip, which from what I’ve read is unlikely to improve PQ/image display for viewing films/series. More so to handle Apples new gaming platform. (Either A12X, used in 2018 iPad Pros or A14 used in 2020 iPhones)

I would have liked it if Apple TV outputted lossless bitstreams instead of LPCM :)
But apart from that, I am not sure what else they can improve on?
Perhaps being able to download content so that you can watch it if you had a loss of internet connectivity.

I would have liked it if Apple TV outputted lossless bitstreams instead of LPCM :)
But apart from that, I am not sure what else they can improve on?
Perhaps being able to download content so that you can watch it if you had a loss of internet connectivity.
I think that’s more a compression/bandwidth issue. It’s entirely possible in time with improved fibre broadband & technology that streaming can reach the bit rates for picture and sound that 4K UHD discs contain. Meaning lossless audio. Whether the Joe Bloggs public care enough to make this a demand in the marketplace is another question. So many watch streaming services on mobile devices and tablets. Cinephiles are very much a niche.

I think that’s more a compression/bandwidth issue. It’s entirely possible in time with improved fibre broadband & technology that streaming can reach the bit rates for picture and sound that 4K UHD discs contain. Meaning lossless audio. Whether the Joe Bloggs public care enough to make this a demand in the marketplace is another question. So many watch streaming services on mobile devices and tablets. Cinephiles are very much a niche.
Very true.
I have plenty of streaming content via AppleTV and also have 4K UHD movies... there is a difference but your not talking about a massive difference like it once used to be.

So the stuck pixel on my C8 returned a couple of weeks ago, I left it a couple of weeks just in case it went away again like it did before, it hasn’t it.

Phoned Richer Sounds, they’re getting a local engineer to contact me, but they said the tv would be taken away for repair and with the current Covid situation could take 4-6 weeks!

Am I right in thinking that stuck/dead pixels can’t be repaired and that the panel had to be replaced? Again I thought, maybe wrongly that they did panel replacements in your house? Watching on YouTube it doesn’t seem a massive job in the grand scheme of things, but I’m not a tv engineer:)

Unusually in these days I imagine, but I only have the one tv, don’t really want to be without a tv at all for up to 6 weeks (1st world problems, eh?) might mean I actually have to talk to the wife:rotfl:

Am I mad to be considering cutting my losses and using it as an excuse to upgrade to a CX then sell on the C8 when it’s repaired?

So the stuck pixel on my C8 returned a couple of weeks ago, I left it a couple of weeks just in case it went away again like it did before, it hasn’t it.

Phoned Richer Sounds, they’re getting a local engineer to contact me, but they said the tv would be taken away for repair and with the current Covid situation could take 4-6 weeks!

Am I right in thinking that stuck/dead pixels can’t be repaired and that the panel had to be replaced? Again I thought, maybe wrongly that they did panel replacements in your house? Watching on YouTube it doesn’t seem a massive job in the grand scheme of things, but I’m not a tv engineer:)

Unusually in these days I imagine, but I only have the one tv, don’t really want to be without a tv at all for up to 6 weeks (1st world problems, eh?) might mean I actually have to talk to the wife:rotfl:

Am I mad to be considering cutting my losses and using it as an excuse to upgrade to a CX then sell on the C8 when it’s repaired?
Lots have had replacement panels at home but others not. Seems a mixed bag.
Yes. Talking to the wife is extreme and for up to 6 weeks? It would be like Lost Boys, convincing yourselves you didn't need a TV if you just buy the TV Guide. 🤦‍♂️
Are the X's (not your wife, yet) that much better? The BFI for SD would be the thing that interests me most. Or, if I was going up in size but I have a 77", which makes justifying change difficult...with her indoors.

Would love to go up in size, even to a 65” just haven’t got the room for it unfortunately :(

The repairers have text me asking me to contact them, tried them on the phone but message said they were busy and to call back or email them, so I’ve emailed them asking for some clarification, if it is indeed a replacement panel (don’t see how else they can repair a stuck pixel) if they do them on site or have to take it away.

What I don’t want is them taking it away, deciding they need to replace the panel and then keeping it for weeks while they wait to get one. Ideally if it’s got to go away, they’ll leave it with me until they actually have the replacement panel and then hopefully it wouldn’t be away too long.

I’ve seen a few C9 to CX comparisons, suggesting there’s not enough difference to make it a worthwhile upgrade, but can find very little comparisons between the C8 and CX.

The CX does seem to be missing a lot of the catch up apps, IPlayer aside, but I’ve never used any of them so that wouldn’t be an issue.

The CX does seem to be missing a lot of the catch up apps, IPlayer aside, but I’ve never used any of them so that wouldn’t be an issue.
And DTS, which is piss poor.

Didn’t even realise my C8 did DTS, I know it does Atmos.

The BBC Sounds app appeared for download on my C8 this morning. Once downloaded, it was automatically logged in to my iPlayer account, so worked straight away.

Had a call from the repair company in response to my email.

All sorts of questions, has anyone in the house got Covid, is anyone self isolating, has anyone been abroad in the last 14 days. All very sensible really.

They also asked was there parking at the house and could i send pictures of the fault both close up of the pixel in question and the whole screen (which I’d already sent to Richer Sounds, but not an issue) they also want a picture of the label on the back showing the model and serial numbers, so they can order the part.

I may be reading to much into it, but that sounds to me like they may want to order a new panel and will look to fit it at my place.

Fingers crossed.

There doesn’t seem to be too much improvement to make upgrading to a CX worthwhile unless I really have to.

There doesn’t seem to be too much improvement to make upgrading to a CX worthwhile unless I really have to.

I own the 55 B6, the 65 C8 and (recently) the new 65 CX.
There is NOT a noticeable difference in PQ watching normal content (live TV, streaming services and UHD blurays), for an average user, between the B6 (v4 firmware) and the CX (latest firmware). Only some benchmarks, OS features and CPU speed will put the CX as an OLED evolution over the previous generations.

Sent the requested pictures to the repairers around 4.45pm yesterday, just before they closed at 5. Just had an update this morning, which is pretty impressive.

They’ve confirmed it’s a panel replacement, now they’ve had to send the required report back to Richer Sounds to authorise, so they can order the panel.

So far, so good. As long as RS authorise it of course, but then they’ve already had the pictures before they put it on to the repairers, so assuming there won’t be an issue.

Had no reason to think it would be hassle, but there’s always the worry that somewhere along the chain, especially as it’s 18 months old, although with in the RS five year warranty, someone would say “one stuck pixel is within tolerance, so nothing we can do”.

Not counting any chickens yet though :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom