LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

I think we all want the latest features/apps for our TV's but I find some peoples expectations incredible.

@adbailey18 - That being the case we can all expect the HGIG update, as that too is correcting something the TV shipped with and the small minority of users is in fact virtually everyone who is passionate about gaming. :smashin:

But in all seriousness and IMHO LG adding the HDR Game Mode to the 2016 sets is absolutely a new feature in the same way DTM was added to the 8 series.

(DTM added to the 7 series, I think you meant that).
I would say that in my opinion, out of all the manufacturers, when it comes to going "above and beyond" what other manfs might do, the above two examples are good ways of showing that LG are very good for this.

I'd certainly like it if where technically possible new things were added, and I've signed at least one petition along those lines, I am just being realistic. That way, if it does happen, it's a bonus.
Top of my "wishlist" is separate the "Smooth Gradation" feature out of the "MPEG Noise Reduction" option. The fact that only the 2019 models have them separated, leads me to think it's not just a menu change, it's a function of the Alpha9 v1 chip that we have and they must be tied together in some way that's hard/impossible to separate.
Second would be to add HGIG, this in theory sounds simple, it just tells the TV to do a "hard clip" instead of doing tonemapping and let the console do it at source. I'm not a gamer, but I have gaming friends and I just want to reduce the number of posts there will be about it lol)

LG update their flagship phones, adding new features along the way. And that's a lot more work than updating TVs. They don't do the TVs because it's not industry standard practice to do so. But it really should be for the outlay and people replace their phones far more frequently. I'm not getting upset about it, before anyone accuses me of such. But software updates is standard practice for most high end technologies, except tvs that is.

II dont agree with the "dont expect any updates" head-in-the-sand brigade. In fact I think Forum Websites like this should do more to push back on manufacturers.

OS upgrades are a big deal, and I was pleased to see FlatPanels start the push back a while ago.
from Samsung Q9FN review - FlatpanelsHD
"Samsung has told us that it has no intentions of updating previous years’ models to the latest Tizen software (version 4.0). It will not commit to updating this year’s Tizen software once the next major version arrives next year either. And regrettably, Samsung is not alone here. This is a very unfortunate trend in the TV industry. Android TV, Roku TVs, and Fire TVs get updated and clearly there is absolutely nothing obstructing Samsung from updating Tizen each year. "

They have even changed their scoring system:
"
Change in test parameters: Starting this year we will make a change to a test parameter that relates to the features score, following years of poor practice in the TV industry. Unless a manufacturer of a given “Smart TV” can provide FlatpanelsHD with assurance that the TV platform will be updated to the next major version, the feature score will be lowered by 10 points. We hope that our initiative can help highlight the problem, start a discussion, and change the practice.

Samsung has not been able to give us such a guarantee for Tizen. "

Sadly - it didn't work. 18 months on and the big manufacturers haven't budged.

The Luminence Overshoot fix was helped by Vincent and Forbes, and FlatpanelsHD have mentioned the lack of updates - but AVF never say anything.

That may be due to advertising agreements, I don't know. There is a much more open discussion on AVS forum.

As a minimum I want to see
WebOS, GUI and software-only improvements put on previous years

Won't happen but I would like it too.

ATV app on 2018 and before

Ask Apple, NOT LG! We've been over this! :)

50fps NowTv Boost on LG

Ask NowTV and get them to publicly prove it's LG's hardware at fault (it won't be). Their responsibility not LG's.

HDR10+ on LG

Rightly or wrongly this definitely won't happen, LG and Samsung are mortal enemies, and LG sees the idea of including HDR10+ as an anathema. But on the positive side, it wouldn't look much different to plain HDR10 for us, this is because HDR10+'s dynamic metadata only really makes a difference on low-nit displays anyway, though, not high-nit displays like ours that does 700 nits.

If anyone can provide some feedback on the C8 Prime app UHD football stream (tonight's the Liverpool / Everton game) that would be useful, esp. with your broadband speed.

I watched a few minutes of the inane pre-amble banter and it looked like crap. Looked like 720p SDR that they'd encoded as HDR. Motion was off too. Maybe the actual game will look better. I've got 400 down fibre.

If anyone can provide some feedback on the C8 Prime app UHD football stream (tonight's the Liverpool / Everton game) that would be useful, esp. with your broadband speed.

Well, it is ok so far: BB/speed 53. Looks good with HDR.

Ah now it's got substantially worse, SD quality now. I assume this is because people have joined this match now the others are over.

The development of an Apple TV+ App is down to Apple. Nothing to do with LG. If Apple wants more viewers, they will try to support more "Smart" TVs. But the Apple TV+ thing is a question for Apple and not a question for LG.

LG could well have a hand in this. They control the marketplace, it's their ecosystem.
There could well be a commercial agreement between LG and Apple stipulating that it would only be available on 2019 and later models.
LG could withhold the native API in the first place (I doubt it's identical between models), or withhold signing keys, or otherwise choose not to release it in any number of ways.

We can't really know where the hold up is, but I don't see Apple giving up market share where they could well have it. Apple as we know are very good at supporting a variety of target platforms.

But that's all moot really.. If it's not coming, it's not coming.

only got the final 15 mins but the picture was superb. 300mb up and down.

Man U. v Spurs was bloody awful... result for me as a Spurs fan but, the PQ was excellent.

I saw the end of the Liverpool v Everton game and it was a mixed bag. Not sure if it was due to the traffic/number of people watching or the combination of UHD and HDR but, it wasn't as stable an experience.

TV is hard wired via ethernet with 76mb fibre.

I am not going to be too critical as I think there are teething problems for sure but, overall, the PQ wipes the floor with what Sky offers.

Last edited:
I agree that features may not be added, but apps should. Not adding a feature like Air Play 2, even its a reasonably easy thing to do, is a business decision can’t be argued with too much. I thinks it’s poor, but it is what it is.

But apps are a different story. LG sold this with an ‘app store’. It’s not really an App Store of new apps are not added.

I expect to be talked down to now again by the LG fans, but I honestly can’t see why that’s unreasonable.

Apps are likely restricted due to licensing, as well as financial wrangling and commitments to other hardware manufacturers, the same as mobile phones.

Some apps on IOS you have to pay for, maybe not on android. And some aren't available cross platform.

Samsung have made no secret of the fact they abandon their flagship handsets after two years. So, why would their TVs be any different.

I won't touch anything Samsung for this reason. It just encourages a huge pile of tech waste.

Apps are likely restricted due to licensing, as well as financial wrangling and commitments to other hardware manufacturers, the same as mobile phones.

Some apps on IOS you have to pay for, maybe not on android. And some aren't available cross platform.

Samsung have made no secret of the fact they abandon their flagship handsets after two years. So, why would their TVs be any different.

I won't touch anything Samsung for this reason. It just encourages a huge pile of tech waste.

What do you mean? I have a 4 year old Samsung and I’m always installing newly released apps.

Apps aren't firmware/software.

We’ll obviously (although they are software really)

Your post was under mine, I assumed it was a response to what I said. Obviously you weren’t replying to me.

That said, your post was a bit confusing. You were talking about apps, then say something about Samsung not supporting their smartphones.

It's not meant to be neg on LG it's neg on the way things are accepted in the TV industry as a whole which is bad, and how reluctant owners/media seem to be to get it changed which is sad.

I've had 3 android versions on my Samsung phone and still getting kernel updates - it's just something unnecessary that annoys which is the curved edge. Not having DV is what rules them out for a TV.

The ATV app could fill an article by itself. I suspect apps are a combination of a downloadable bit for the interface and login etc and codecs and other libraries in the firmware as the last couple of LG updates were app related. LG are just being mean not to include HDR10+ but I can't see any reason why they might obstruct having the ATV app even if a f/w update was required. If Firesticks and Roku can then previous LG years could too.

So it's manufactures way of doing things for TVs and in particular the lack of communications and responses to queries that needs to change.

We’ll obviously (although they are software really)

Your post was under mine, I assumed it was a response to what I said. Obviously you weren’t replying to me.

That said, your post was a bit confusing. You were talking about apps, then say something about Samsung not supporting their smartphones.

Sorry for the confusion;).

I've had 3 android versions on my Samsung phone and still getting kernel updates - it's just something unnecessary that annoys which is the curved edge. Not having DV is what rules them out for a TV.

You've likely had security patches but, nobody gets firmware updates on any Samsung handset over two years old.

Even their flagships S8, S8+ and Note 8, all from 2017, are not getting android 10.

The average consumer doesn't care much about having new features added, they want a TV they can plug in and use, maybe have a device connected or two.

I spoke with someone at work the other day, bought a B9, purely on the style alone.

They have no care or consideration of what it can do, as long as they can watch TV they're happy!
ohh ok so that ONE person at your work opinion on why he bought a TV speaks for every one in the world....gotcha

No, don't be a moron, it was an example :rolleyes::rotfl:

I am trying to get a repair from LG, as my device has dead pixels. The TV itself is a replacement supplied by LG.

They've just said that since the TV is a replacement the warranty would have expired around July 2018. This is a C8 that I received in April of 2019. Eh?

I had a 5 year warranty with the retailer, so I'm hoping I can get this sorted and it's just LG trying to get out of it.

I am trying to get a repair from LG, as my device has dead pixels. The TV itself is a replacement supplied by LG.

They've just said that since the TV is a replacement the warranty would have expired around July 2018. This is a C8 that I received in April of 2019. Eh?
I don't know about the UK, but in Eastern Europe (!) ('cause I read some forums there as well):
- they get 2 years (!) of warranty by default
- once the panel is replaced the above 2 years starts over from the point of replacement! and that's a fact!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom