LG OLED C8 TV owners and discussion

I swear I updated my set over the weekend when it prompted a software update was available. My wife was home all day with our sick little one, never noticed an issue while watching the TV during the day. I came down after showering this evening, flipped it on.. and there's terrible flickering/shuddering on any overlays like watching hockey or a news channel. I was able to resolve by flipping to game mode on the picture settings... but wtf? Ive only had this set since October...

I noticed today that the BBC iPlayer app stopped working on version 05.10.40
Anybody else having this issue?

Fine for me on 05.10.40. Try a "cold reboot" - turn TV off, unplug from wall, wait 1 minute, power back on.

J Lewis and lg do not deserve should not be aloud to trade in the UK brand new 55' c8 a purchased in feb and still not working properly but who knows christmas is allmost here

Yeah, iPlayer did not work for me post update to .40, but it seems to have sorted itself out now.

Can you no longer roll back fw to a previous one?
I wish I'd never updated. Dark scenes on YouTube are a total mess, and watching the porsche taycan carwow video in the snow is even worse. This fw has ruined my TV

Can you no longer roll back fw to a previous one?
I wish I'd never updated. Dark scenes on YouTube are a total mess, and watching the porsche taycan carwow video in the snow is even worse. This fw has ruined my TV

Make sure you try a cold reboot (TV off, unplug from wall, replug).
The differences between 5.10.35 and 5.10.40 are literally one logo.
No you cannot roll back, FAQ.

Make sure you try a cold reboot (TV off, unplug from wall, replug).
The differences between 5.10.35 and 5.10.40 are literally one logo.
No you cannot roll back, FAQ.
Cheers, I'll try it. Joe achillies has just posted a new video of the BMW M8 and the compression and noise is dreadful and it's not a low res video. If it doesn't go away I will be very peed off.

Cheers, I'll try it. Joe achillies has just posted a new video of the BMW M8 and the compression and noise is dreadful and it's not a low res video. If it doesn't go away I will be very peed off.

Yep. If it doesn't go away, it will definitely be down to something else, not caused by the new HEVC logo on the licences page in the user manual. ;)

Yep. If it doesn't go away, it will definitely be down to something else, not caused by the new HEVC logo on the licences page in the user manual. ;)
I still don't know why this has suddenly happened though. Can you please look at the two videos I mentioned if it's not too much trouble? Maybe it's just YouTube.

Lan cable.

I still don't know why this has suddenly happened though. Can you please look at the two videos I mentioned if it's not too much trouble? Maybe it's just YouTube.

I just looked at the M8 one and it looks ok here.

Did you check the resolution of the video? (click the video to bring up the three little dots to select size) It started playing at 480p here, once I changed it to 1080 it was much better.

New owner of 65 C8 here. Purchased from JL with 5 year warranty. Was an ex display model apparently. Checked the total hours and it says 1320 and 199/1 compensation cycles. Not noticed anything bad so far, no banding or tint after checking 100% white and 5% grey slide. After coming from a 55ec930v this TV is amazing! Very happy new owner.

How much did it cost?

Our C8's are eArc compatible?
I was playing with Plex for the first time and it work really well. My only issue is that audio sources such as TrueHD 7.1 and TrueHD 7.1 Dolby Atmos are all being down converted to DD+.
On the TV Plex App settings only shows the audio formats from the attached photo but I know Plex is capable of playing almost everything.
The tv is connected to a Denon X-4500 by Hdmi Arc.

Attachments

• 20191215_210134.jpg
    20191215_210134.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 64
And if I connect the TV to the AVR as a normal input instead o ARC. Would it play/pass these formats without limitations?

The TV can't output more than DD+. Lossless or PCM sources (like a blu-ray player or media box or console or PC) must be connected to the receiver. The TV is always connected to the monitor out on the receiver, to get ARC, CEC, and anything video related, to work.

Thank you.
I think I will have invest on a proper streaming box, like apple tv 4k or Nvidia Shield to make the tv really smart.
I am now fully convinced that this TV is no more than a monitor. A very very very expensive monitor.

Nope thats not true, The main function for a TV for most people is watching broadcast TV and it does that well. The C8 also does a great job with Prime (HDR/Atmos) Netflix (DV/Atmos) Youtube and Iplayer (4K HLG). No streaming service has more than DD+ so ARC is fine

The ATV 4K will let you watch Itunes movies, ATV+ and Disney+ in DV/Atmos. If thats not your use case then you dont need one

I'm not sure what the Shield would do either. Media files actually play quite well on the C8's built-in media player but with disks and streaming services it just reminds me of the 00s to hear about rips etc.

When we have HDMI 2.1 sources and HDMi 2.1 receivers then our C8s might need replacing

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom