Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LG C9 Owners in the house
Please post all your happiness and sadness in here

large01-v1.jpg
large07.jpg
large12.jpg
large04.jpg

View attachment 1143902 View attachment 1143901 View attachment 1143899 View attachment 1143900

Last edited:
Key Features
  • Available in 77-inch
  • LG ThinQ AI | Google Assistant | Alexa
  • LG OLED Display
  • LG α9 Gen 2 Intelligent Processor
  • Dolby Vision | Dolby Atmos

Last edited:
mmmm is it a worthy upgrade from the C8.... or do I skip a year and go for C10? What do any new C9 owners think?

I can't speak for all owners but going by the American C9 owners thread from certain professional calibrators it seems like the C9 is a minimal upgrade over the C8. The concerning thing over there was that the improved BFI was scrapped. At least on the sets the first owners have and input lag was measured at 21ms which was the same as the C8. I don't know if the C9 needs an update for that but its a little frustrating as those are two of the supposed updated features.

Thanks mods for starting this.

Ok, I have a C9. Two issues so far:

1) The Netflix app does not allow Atmos playback if eARC is enabled in the HDMI ARC settings.
2) The Amazon Prime app does not play anything in HDR - no HDR10 and no Dolby Vision.

Apart from this it seems to be working to spec. Have not tried eARC from a bluray player yet but I guess I should.

I can't speak for all owners but going by the American C9 owners thread from certain professional calibrators it seems like the C9 is a minimal upgrade over the C8. The concerning thing over there was that the improved BFI was scrapped. At least on the sets the first owners have and input lag was measured at 21ms which was the same as the C8. I don't know if the C9 needs an update for that but its a little frustrating as those are two of the supposed updated features.

In fact one of those calibrators has gone as far as to say that it’s not worth replacing any 2017 or 2018 OLED.
A little disappointing, but excellent news for my bank account balance.:D

1) The Netflix app does not allow Atmos playback if eARC is enabled in the HDMI ARC settings.
2) The Amazon Prime app does not play anything in HDR - no HDR10 and no Dolby Vision.

Apart from this it seems to be working to spec. Have not tried eARC from a bluray player yet but I guess I should.
Stupid question, but I have to ask given their habit of hiding things. Have you made sure your playing the HDR version from Amazon?

Played TGT on Amazon in 4K HDR on an E9 no problem the other day, might be an app issue....but as @Andrew1472 says, make sure its the 4k version. Does it play in 1080 or UltraHD? Stupid question seeing as you’re a former c7 owner but I fell for it once before as well.

Last edited:

Well that is interesting ,as I have a Sony AF9 and the exact same thing happens if I turn on eARC, turn it off and it plays Atmos no problem

One more thing are you using a receiver for Audio , or the built in speakers?

Now that Nvidia allows gsync to be enabled on freesync panels are any owners able to confirm if gsync (vrr) can be enabled when using an Nvidia gpu connected to the C9?
Also if 1440p@120hz be displayed?

What is the C9s near black performance like? My EF950V can be brutal with the near black artifacts sometimes. Particularly with Game. Of Thrones. Does processing on newer OLEDs help with this?

Interesting. Maybe I should go for the C8 now instead of waiting for the C9 price drop around Black Friday? Although as a gamer, it's probably better if I be patient and wait as the C9 has HDMI 2.1

Last edited:
Some Updates:

Amazon Prime: I was indeed looking at the wrong version of the content and when playing 4K HDR content it all works as expected.

eARC: I used the Xbox One X as a Bluray player last night and was able to send DTS-HD to my receiver over eARC - fantastic.

Picture Quality: Personally the upgrade from the C7 is very noticable. There is much less banding in smooth gradations and the black areas are much clearer and less blocky. The AI picture enhancement seems to be pretty impressive too. Out of the box without any calibration this is easily the best picture I have ever seen on a TV.

Calibration: :) Waiting for Calman to release the 2019 version of Calman Home and I'll be right in there attempting to use Autocal. Something to look forward to.

Some Updates:

Amazon Prime: I was indeed looking at the wrong version of the content and when playing 4K HDR content it all works as expected.

eARC: I used the Xbox One X as a Bluray player last night and was able to send DTS-HD to my receiver over eARC - fantastic.

Picture Quality: Personally the upgrade from the C7 is very noticable. There is much less banding in smooth gradations and the black areas are much clearer and less blocky. The AI picture enhancement seems to be pretty impressive too. Out of the box without any calibration this is easily the best picture I have ever seen on a TV.

Calibration: :) Waiting for Calman to release the 2019 version of Calman Home and I'll be right in there attempting to use Autocal. Something to look forward to.

How’s the tinting?

I am in a real dillema. I have to choose between different technologies (oled or qled) but both have issues that concerns me. Potential bad playback of 24p content on a LG panel and subtitle issues on a Q90R from samsung. I use kodi on a nvidia shield to stream movies and series. Guess what? All content i am watching on kodi is 24p and, because I am dutch, I use subtitles. RTINGS says that on the C8 24p is judder free but has noticable stutter. I am sensitive to that. So how bad is it on the C9? The samsung q90r also has stutter but less than the c8 according to rtings. By enabling motion interpolation it would be solved or better, rtings says. The qled has brightness issues with subs being said on forums. It woul be helpfull if i know if the stutter on the C9 is bad or not.

Compare to my C8 the C9 doesnt crush black, as no tint on white, no Flashing, no visible banding on Content and is future proof.

The tv seems brighter than my c8 and motion to my eyes is smoother.

The options to calibrate game mode and have the color set to auto is great.

The panel seems to handle black a lot better than the c8 and the b7.

The color and hdr, dolby vision are better than last year, everything seems to pop a lot more

I had this tv for 3 days and it is by far the best tv i ever had thanks to richer sound and john Clayton for his service.

I cant wait to have this calibrated

Attachments

• 15563039057215746135366156075260.jpg
    15563039057215746135366156075260.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,301
  • 15563039767778022083753645133424.jpg
    15563039767778022083753645133424.jpg
    996.3 KB · Views: 1,464
  • 1556304040729550834665769233388.jpg
    1556304040729550834665769233388.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,730
  • 15563040883862086574494793368284.jpg
    15563040883862086574494793368284.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,441
  • 15563041462021965389912990907608.jpg
    15563041462021965389912990907608.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,800
Heard from a couple of guys I trust that the C9 is a bigger step up from last years sets than expected with near black performance, motion and upscaling being hugely imrpoved.

I have few general questions.

Is it better to have the ps4, 4k bluray connected to the tv and then connected with hdmi2 to the arc input of the av receiver or all connection to the av receiver and then to the tv?

Is the motion pro will be update via firmware uodate as they remove some of the feature annonced?

What should the peak brightness should be set at for the most accuracy for hdr and sdr?

Do you recommend to have noise reductionmpeg noise reduction and smooth gradation set to low for the most accuracy?

Can i have real cinema and trumotion both on? What are the best setting for trumotion, i used to set this to 0 and 0 as i read before to set it like this

Returning my 65" E6 back to Costco tomorrow for a full refund of £3300 (3D stopped working when they changed the panel), looks like the C9 could be on the menu

Compare to my C8 the C9 doesnt crush black, as no tint on white, no Flashing, no visible banding on Content and is future proof.

The tv seems brighter than my c8 and motion to my eyes is smoother.

The options to calibrate game mode and have the color set to auto is great.

The panel seems to handle black a lot better than the c8 and the b7.

The color and hdr, dolby vision are better than last year, everything seems to pop a lot more

I had this tv for 3 days and it is by far the best tv i ever had thanks to richer sound and john Clayton for his service.

I cant wait to have this calibrated

I too have noticed no tinting. My C7 had a slightly yellow tint at the bottom with a full white screen but when looking at the C9 its is a beautiful flat white! I agree that the dolby vision is quite incredible too. Very pleased with my upgrade.

Will post a 5% sometime this weekend just to keep everyone happy.

I too have noticed no tinting. My C7 had a slightly yellow tint at the bottom with a full white screen but when looking at the C9 its is a beautiful flat white! I agree that the dolby vision is quite incredible too. Very pleased with my upgrade.

Will post a 5% sometime this weekend just to keep everyone happy.
Did you try turning eARC off and seeing if you got Atmos from Netflix ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom