LG OLED E8 Owners and Discussion Thread

I'm aware that ARC causes issues for many people, but so far I seemed to have escaped them, until now.

Until recently I had my E8 connected to an external amp (for speaker use) using the HDMI 2 port, which is the ARC connection. It connects to the dedicated ARC HDMI port on the amp. With SIMPLINK on I found that setting the TV's sound out to HDMI ARC worked as long as it was set to PCM. Auto didn't work.

However, some time last week I noticed that the sound out via ARC stopped working completely, irrespective of the setting or SIMPLINK use.

I haven't changed any settings on the TV or amp. I've hard booted both devices and unplugged and re-plugged the HDMI leads, but no success.

It's not a big issue as I've now connected the TV to the amp using Optical, and allocated the optical in on the amp to TV sound. It's just puzzling me that I now need to use an Optical connection whereas before it was fine with just the HDMI cable.

Any ideas?

I have recently bought a sound bar and is connected via Hdmi2 i also have a streamer box and a sat box all hooked up to hdmi ports. I found that when i disable arc/cec on the both external devices my sound works great and controlable from the tv remote. As soon as I enable ARC.CEC on either external device i get all kinds of problems with my sound,. So i just leave my externals arc/cec turned off and all works AS intended.

Is it true that HDMI CEC can only support 3 devices connected? I have all 4 HDMI ports in use but my Nintendo Switch which is connected to HDMI 2 does not turn on my E8 when it is switched on.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but for the last week my e8 keeps prompting for app updates, do the update but on next startup it does the same, seems as if any apps that updated in the last week continually prompt to update, so for me it’s uk tv play and the Disney app.

Wondering if any other owners are seeing the same?

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but for the last week my e8 keeps prompting for app updates, do the update but on next startup it does the same, seems as if any apps that updated in the last week continually prompt to update, so for me it’s uk tv play and the Disney app.

Wondering if any other owners are seeing the same?
Exactly the same for me on my E8 - Disney and UK Play. A weird bug but I'm sure they'll fix it soon.

LG support are refusing to investigate without a factory reset first - regardless of the effort that involves. So if more contact them on the number on the LG UK site that might help convince them there's an issue.

Firstly, if you get the pop-up on switch on that there is an update - there actually likely is and quite possibly it's ITV Hub to ITVx. But you have to go to Content Store All Aps section to scroll through to find it and manually update it. This will clear the pop-up.

The My Apps section (on my C8) is broken - it's showing apps such as UKTV Play and Disney+ as needing update when they don't.

Many apps in My Apps have the old icon and name and give a region error when I click them. The Home Menu and All Apps work OK - its just My Apps that's broken.

You're right that the ITV Hub needed updating, so I did that manually and then deleted the Disney Plus and UKTV apps. I then re-installed them and went to My Apps, and there they both were again, requesting to be updated! What a bizarre bug. I'll report it to LG.

Edit: now done, using [email protected]

Last edited:
Thats the email for commercial products - I'd recommend just speaking to them Telephone | LG U.K.

Updating ITV Hub to ITVx wont fix the UKTV / D+ and other My Apps issues - but it should stop the pop-up message when turning on the TV each time

The timing of this starting might suggest that perhaps when the ITVx app was added either some cloud data that My Apps depends on (easier to fix) or some data within My Apps itself (more likely to need a factory reset) got corrupted.

If enough people report this issue they might take notice - although so far it seems to be UK 2018 model owners

Yes. it's strange that the issue is so specific to a year and model. As I'm off this week I might find the time to do a factory reset and see if that cures it. I looked for a firmware update but I'm already up to date (05.50.10).

You're right that updating the ITV app stopped the update pop up message when switching on the TV. I've just checked My Apps and interestingly, only UKTV Play is awaiting an update. Disney isn't there. At least that's a partial fix. Can you confirm that it's the same for you?

It seems to be across all 2018 models on WebOS 4.5 IIRC so each Content Store may use its own data. The ITV Hub app update which may have triggered this would be UK only.

Disney+ has dropped off the list - it may be them changing something in the cloud or just part of the bug.

The latest app versions are at LG CONTENT STORE if the pop-up returns when there's another genuine app update as My Apps cant be relied upon until fixed.

A factory reset doesn't fix this - just plenty more work to get all settings restored.

As soon as apps are re-installed UKTV play shows as update available under My Apps and other apps have old icons and names and give a region error when clicked - just as before.

LG UK support simply say they'll pass on to technical that the factory reset has been done and await their advice - very frustrating as it seems like it's cloud data at fault.

Thanks for the update. I bet this will be one of those small but annoying problems that doesn't get fixed for months.

At the moment they don't seem able to properly diagnose the issue.

After doing the factory reset the next step is - incredibly - main board replacement (a chargeable repair apparently) - this is despite reminding them that it seems to have affected multiple users at the same time and so could well be cloud data related.

Hard to recommend LG after this.

Their fault finding process seems to be limited to 1) rule out user error 2) suggest fixes that worked for app issues in the past like unplug, reset, mobile hotspot and 3) if a problem persists replace main board or screen etc

Its a UK only issue so we dont have the benefit of lots of people complaining - and any contact ends up with the same people at the UK office who will only follow the above process

The issue was likely fixed a few days ago - the My Apps now shows the correct icons for installed apps and UK TV Play no longer shows as needing an update

The pop-up turned out to be for ITVx on mine - updating this manually did get rid of the pop-up message but LG still needed to fix something their end

This is good news. I'd actually deleted my UK TV Play app but I've now reinstalled it and will keep an eye on whether I get pestered to update it next week.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom