LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Hearing some bad stuff about the CX 77 in that thread next door in terms of panel uniformity. I wonder if the GX 77 might actually have the “better” panels by LG?

Hearing some bad stuff about the CX 77 in that thread next door in terms of panel uniformity. I wonder if the GX 77 might actually have the “better” panels by LG?
Hi @drdoom2k
yeah the cx77 is looking pretty terrible isn't it :(
would love to think the gx has better uniformity been a more premium product, I mind people use to say better cleaner panels went into higher end models.. and it did used to look that way when you compared say a 2016 b6 to the 2016 g6..
But then reviewers said that's total rubbish... but then again reviewers always say uniformity is good and we know that's rubbish so who knows what to believe, these reviewers are usually on good terms with LG, Samsung etc so....
I don't think there is even one 77" owner in here?
Be good to see some slides of one but people are usually reluctant to do it like it's taboo.
I personally can't be arsed spending 6k on a tv to only have to return it due to bands and tints, or even 5k for the cx.
May just have to keep my c9 65 for a while yet :facepalm:

were you planning a new tv soon mate, a 77?

Has anyone tried an Nvidia Pro with its AI picture enhancer? Wondering if it really helps some lower sources, be handy.

Has anyone tried an Nvidia Pro with its AI picture enhancer? Wondering if it really helps some lower sources, be handy.
Just buy one and try it mate, if it's crap send it back, nice and small, least it's not tv size for the old swaperoo.
amazon or something.

Check what prices you can get the gx 77 for in other countries, makes you sic :eek: :rotfl:
0ED38685-0D28-4C7D-8CD0-AE2FC32C5D22.jpeg

isn't that excluding sales tax which they have to pay though? so brings it back up to our price?
not sure what Canada do with sales tax tbh.
Even so, the gx 77 can be had including sales tax cheaper than here :(
Just like on mainland Europe, always cheaper for the 77s.
just more a sad rant :rotfl::(

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I have a decision to make re LG OLED 77GX vs Samsung Q75Q950TS - which TV do I keep or go with, I currently have the Samsung which has a degree of dirty screen / vignetting that is visible on grey or white coloured backrounds, do I swap it out for the LG 77GX?

Samsung:
Mounts onto the wall with easy cable management due to one connect box, no wall channeling required
8K capable albeit no real content at the moment or foreseeable future
Has catch up apps installed
Looks great on the wall, minimal bezel and very low profile
It’s expensive
Pictures look great but with some minor hallowing but not too noticeable in most cases.
Blacks are good but not as good as OLED.

LG:
Larger screen but has a slightly thicker bezel than the Samsung
4K capable only but not an issue.
Does not have catch up apps at the moment but may in the future - Also not a major issue though for me.
Would probable look great on the wall BUT would require wall channeling due to where the cables route on the back of the unit.
Less expensive than the Samsung
Potential for screen burn, already experienced this on my E6V
Excellent blacks, no hallowing and great contrast (Samsung is pretty good though)

And this is a big one making me re-consider or not to swap the Samsung to an LG GX - reports on this forum are indicating that there seems to be issues with banding and screen uniformity on the CX which is the same panel as that used on the GX.

I’m sure there will be more for both TV’s but I don’t want to swap the Samsung only to inherit issues with the LG as I only have one chance to swap, what would you do / recommend - I have until Thursday morning to make my mind up !!

I have a decision to make re LG OLED 77GX vs Samsung Q75Q950TS - which TV do I keep or go with, I currently have the Samsung which has a degree of dirty screen / vignetting that is visible on grey or white coloured backrounds, do I swap it out for the LG 77GX?

Samsung:
Mounts onto the wall with easy cable management due to one connect box, no wall channeling required
It’s expensive
Pictures look great but with some minor hallowing but not too noticeable in most cases.

LG:
Does not have catch up apps at the moment but may in the future - Also not a major issue though for me.
Would probable look great on the wall BUT would require wall channeling due to where the cables route on the back of the unit.
Excellent blacks, no hallowing and great contrast (Samsung is pretty good though)

And this is a big one making me re-consider or not to swap the Samsung to an LG GX - reports on this forum are indicating that there seems to be issues with banding and screen uniformity on the CX which is the same panel as that used on the GX.

I’m sure there will be more for both TV’s but I don’t want to swap the Samsung only to inherit issues with the LG as I only have one chance to swap, what would you do / recommend - I have until Thursday morning to make my mind up !!

The GX (and CX) are simply the superior TVs when it comes to picture quality. Thats the really the end of it. Whether you get a panel with banding or not is down to luck. But I'd still take a banded OLED which shows up bands in 1% of scenes over an LCD TV.

If your top priorities are apps, bezel size, easy cable management and a resolution with no available content, then go for the Samsung. In my mind, those are little conveniences.

If you want the best picture quality possible, you go OLED. Best in class HDR, Best in class SDR, pixel level control and illumination, instant pixel response time, the best specular highlight detail, perfect viewing angles, no backlight bleeding, halo effects or blooming, bright specular highlights in HDR with no local dimming algorithms, Dolby Vision support and the perfect blacks. In my mind, this is what matters in a display.

If you have an extremely bright room with a huge bay window and you like to watch TV with this light on the TV, the Samsung will be better too... but if you're going to watch TV in those circumstances, I suggest you just get a cheaper LCD panel.

The only display device in my mind that I would consider to better the cinematic image provided by the 77inch OLEDs is a JVC N5/N7/N9 in a treated room projecting a 100+inch image. Otherwise the OLEDs are really comfortably beating everyone else.

If your room is bright and doesn't cater for OLEDs, the odds are you won't be able to appreciate deep blacks and contrast anyway so would be better off getting a TV half the price.

Samsung:
It’s expensive

LG:

Hi, if it helps at all I had a Samsung 65q95t for just under two weeks. I wasn’t impressed with it at all. I had banding issues with mine when watching football. I had it replaced and went for an LG 65GX and I’m so glad I did. The picture is so much better on the LG.

Samsung:
It’s expensive

LG:

I was torn initially between LG CX 77 and a QLED 75. I went for the CX in the end and am very pleased that I did. The picture quality is second to none, perfect solid blacks and no hint of any blooming. One very small difference between the two, which I think I would miss, is the inability of the Samsung to flag up an icon when switching to HDR content. With Samsung (as far as I'm aware) you still have to search within settings to check what picture you are getting. The LG remote and user interface are also much slicker and easier to use in my opinion.

I was torn initially between LG CX 77 and a QLED 75. I went for the CX in the end and am very pleased that I did. The picture quality is second to none, perfect solid blacks and no hint of any blooming. One very small difference between the two, which I think I would miss, is the inability of the Samsung to flag up an icon when switching to HDR content. With Samsung (as far as I'm aware) you still have to search within settings to check what picture you are getting. The LG remote and user interface are also much slicker and easier to use in my opinion.
I love the LG user interface, it's so fast and smooth to use, the magic pointer makes it so quick to type with.
Think a few years back Samsung also had a magic pointer? IMO every tv should have one :thumbsup:

Thank for your thorough reply young James ,I do see improvements with the latest rendition of the Atv app on the C9 , and to my old ravaged eyes it looks just as good as the ATV box ,however you have piqued my interest when you say that the elevated blacks are now fixed with the Beta firmware , I shall update mine later tonight ,and report my findings
Did you have a look into this mate?
I updated My LG to the latest Apple TV app last night but certain screens still look terrible. :(
The whole experience for me is not as fast, smooth and polished as using a atv4k box.

IMG_0882.jpeg

🤢

I’m afraid my QE75Q950TS is being returned tomorrow and being exchanged for an LG OLED77GX, a difficult decision but the GX is over £1000 cheaper albeit a little bit more of an inconvenience to me to mount it onto my living room wall. I hope this is the right decision and I don’t end up with poor screen uniformity / banding etc.

I’m afraid my QE75Q950TS is being returned tomorrow and being exchanged for an LG OLED77GX, a difficult decision but the GX is over £1000 cheaper albeit a little bit more of an inconvenience to me to mount it onto my living room wall. I hope this is the right decision and I don’t end up with poor screen uniformity / banding etc.

Wise choice!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom