LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

I’m afraid my QE75Q950TS is being returned tomorrow and being exchanged for an LG OLED77GX, a difficult decision but the GX is over £1000 cheaper albeit a little bit more of an inconvenience to me to mount it onto my living room wall. I hope this is the right decision and I don’t end up with poor screen uniformity / banding etc.
Just do some slides and see what uniformity is like before you go to all the hassle of mounting etc?
Looking forward to see what the panel is like compared to the cx 77s
hope you get a good one mate:)

You know when you put the Samsung QE75Q950TS into its retail mode the images it produces on the screen look fantastic, very vivid, detailed, just wow really, what a shame about some dirty screen effect and vignetting, I really am in 2 minds as to whether to change it or not, doh !!! :suicide:

Did you have a look into this mate?
I updated My LG to the latest Apple TV app last night but certain screens still look terrible. :(
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like

The whole experience for me is not as fast, smooth and polished as using a atv4k box.

View attachment 1338595

🤢
Hi James ,I did indeed update my atv box to the latest beta firmware ,only had time to try one movie (Greyhound ) and yes the raised blacks did look better (I wouldn’t say 100% fixed though) .
I would undergo further testing ,but unfortunately I’m 400+ Miles away from my humble abode :D

Did you have a look into this mate?
I updated My LG to the latest Apple TV app last night but certain screens still look terrible. :(
The whole experience for me is not as fast, smooth and polished as using a atv4k box.

View attachment 1338595

🤢
Do the internal apps auto update, or do I have to do it manually?
I’m going check mine, can’t say I’ve noticed the same as above pic.

Do the internal apps auto update, or do I have to do it manually?
I’m going check mine, can’t say I’ve noticed the same as above pic.
When I go to open an app it will alert me there is an update and offer me to proceed with update or do it later.

You know when you put the Samsung QE75Q950TS into its retail mode the images it produces on the screen look fantastic, very vivid, detailed, just wow really, what a shame about some dirty screen effect and vignetting, I really am in 2 minds as to whether to change it or not, doh !!! :suicide:
demo material makes my 32" 1080p 10 year old Samsung lcd monitor look good :rotfl:

Hi mate
I just seen your pic of the samsung... yeah I would definitely replace that and especially for what you paid for it :(
At least the 77" is bigger so you won't be left with them cuts on show in the trim on your wall :thumbsup:

Not just dse but multicoloured dse and dark edges 🤢 How much did you pay for it like 7k or something?

C798A4BD-6960-4C61-A7AD-E742FE0315E8.jpeg

Hi mate
I just seen your pic of the samsung... yeah I would definitely replace that and especially for what you paid for it :(
At least the 77" is bigger so you won't be left with them cuts on show in the trim on your wall :thumbsup:

Not just dse but multicoloured dse and dark edges 🤢 How much did you pay for it like 7k or something?

View attachment 1338789
It was £7499 with an additional £400 discount Fromm SSAV and then the £500 claim back from Samsung so in total £6599. So yes still very expensive !!. Very disappointed as it looks great mounted on the wall and with good quality source material it is very good but you do see the DSE etc. particularly on images that pan across the screen.

It was £7499 with an additional £400 discount Fromm SSAV and then the £500 claim back from Samsung so in total £6599. So yes still very expensive !!. Very disappointed as it looks great mounted on the wall and with good quality source material it is very good but you do see the DSE etc. particularly on images that pan across the screen.
Yeah it's a fair old wad of cash aint it :(
tbh, the gx77 will look even nicer on the wall.. and then wait till you turn it on :love:
Yeah my peppa pig test would instantly fail on that samsung.
good luck for tomorrow mate, hope I will be joining you soon :clap:

Yeah it's a fair old wad of cash aint it :(
tbh, the gx77 will look even nicer on the wall.. and then wait till you turn it on :love:
Yeah my peppa pig test would instantly fail on that samsung.
good luck for tomorrow mate, hope I will be joining you soon :clap:
Ah the peppa pig test!:rotfl:

I’m afraid my QE75Q950TS is being returned tomorrow and being exchanged for an LG OLED77GX, a difficult decision but the GX is over £1000 cheaper albeit a little bit more of an inconvenience to me to mount it onto my living room wall. I hope this is the right decision and I don’t end up with poor screen uniformity / banding etc.
Has the beast arrived yet mate? 🧐🤓

No but my Samsung QE75Q950TS has now been returned, I suspect it will be next week at the earliest, I guess it depends on if SSAV have any in stock. I have reverted back to my older Samsung 65Q9FN and guess what it has a better picture than the top of the range 8K Samsung, work that out !!

I need to do a template of the rear of the GX so that I can work out how to cable the TV up when it comes, i.e what channels / holes in the wall I need to make or modify, what joy, one good thing about the Samsung was the one connect box, so much easier to install on a wall.

No but my Samsung QE75Q950TS has now been returned, I suspect it will be next week at the earliest, I guess it depends on if SSAV have any in stock. I have reverted back to my older Samsung 65Q9FN and guess what it has a better picture than the top of the range 8K Samsung, work that out !!

I need to do a template of the rear of the GX so that I can work out how to cable the TV up when it comes, i.e what channels / holes in the wall I need to make or modify, what joy, one good thing about the Samsung was the one connect box, so much easier to install on a wall.
Ah I see.
Not much stock of them recently, No-one seems to know when more is coming :( Hopefully soon.
Up to you off course but I'd check for panel uniformity etc before I go cutting holes out of the wall.

I plan to take the tv back off the wall mount in the next couple of days to run the wires in the wall. I’ll take some pics and upload them.

I have posted the link to some LG drawings on their homepage on how to drill / connect the GX on a previous page in here, might be useful!

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed but I have a GX and cannot get Dolby vision over HDMI to work, is anyone else having this issue? I have both a Panasonic ub820 and Xbox One X and with the Panasonic UHD discs with Dolby vision are only outputting in normal HDR and streaming apps on the Xbox are outputting normal HDR. When looking at the Xbox tv settings it actually states the tv doesn’t support Dolby vision. I have tried all 4 HDMI ports and several HDMI cables which I know are fine because when connected to my C8, both Xbox and Panasonic are outputting Dolby vision. I’ve been through all the settings and can’t see anything which might be causing the issue. All built in apps on the GX (Netflix/Disney+ etc) are switching to Dolby vision. Have I missed something obvious?

They don't output DV, they accept (or should do) a DV signal being output from another device.
Like I said, only HDMI 3 and 4 on my set are allowing Dolby vision. If I connect the Xbox to HDMI 1 or 2 it says the TV doesn’t support Dolby vision and if I connect the Panasonic to HDMI 1 or 2 it will only show uhd discs with Dolby vision in HDR10. They both only output in Dolby vision if connected to either HDMI 3 or 4.

Like I said, only HDMI 3 and 4 on my set are allowing Dolby vision. If I connect the Xbox to HDMI 1 or 2 it says the TV doesn’t support Dolby vision and if I connect the Panasonic to HDMI 1 or 2 it will only show uhd discs with Dolby vision in HDR10. They both only output in Dolby vision if connected to either HDMI 3 or 4.

Not sure it would help (given that you are getting HDR10) but just check that you have HDMI Ultra HD colour enabled for all inputs. It's in Settings/Picture/Additional settings.

A little update post calibration with the masterful help of @Canary_Jules

I understood the premise on which the benefits of calibration stand in principle prior to his visit yesterday, but it was great to get a much wider perspective on the matter.

Unit variation is very much a thing that renders calibration at the factory less potent a tool. I am really happy that I am now able to stop tinkering with all of the picture settings available, while getting a more realistic image across the different playback modes.

A job truly well done, it was very interesting to learn more about what makes TVs tick the way they do and what some of the intricate variables are that affect picture quality. Such a great chap too!

I love my 65" GX even more now.
Highly recommended!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom