LG OLED GX Owners and Discussion Thread

Looking at the back of the TV in more details,
Can you not cut a hole in the wall inline where the power cable comes out on the TV,
then feed the cables out of this hole and up through the indented channels on the back of the TV up to the HDMI ports?

Can't believe that you have to cut a dirty great hole in the wall and fit the indicated recess box in order to fit these tv's?

With most houses, including mine, having the dry lining stuck to the breeze block inner walls you would have to also then cut a large hole in the breeze blocks. In my case that would be straight into the chimney.

Was looking, when prices fall enough, to get a 77" but looking at the fitting requirements that may well be out the window?

Hopefully there may be alternative ways to fit it and still be able to hide the cables?

It also looks like you do not have any horizontal alignment adjustment on the supplied mounting brk, so you are going to have to be spot on when mounting the brk to the wall or with a 77" tv any out of alignment would be very noticeable?

I don't think the idea is to recess the bracket within the wall. The recess is built into the back of the TV.

Looking at the back of the TV in more details,
Can you not cut a hole in the wall inline where the power cable comes out on the TV,
then feed the cables out of this hole and up through the indented channels on the back of the TV up to the HDMI ports?

That is pretty much how I see it going. The last guys didn’t plan it themselves, didn’t listen to any of my suggestions. They wanted to be in and out quickly as the had other jobs backing up as they were so late. Horrible service really!

Should be resolved today. I will still stay at a good distance away for safety, but will watch it ‘closely’ this time!!

I don't think the idea is to recess the bracket within the wall. The recess is built into the back of the TV.

That video gives a lot more detail and sense about fitting without having to cut a hole in the wall and fit any recessed box. It also shows that you can pivot the assy to horizotally align the tv, though not sure how that is achieved?

Gives more confidence that it is going to be plausible to fit in my own case without the need for a recess box, though with stuck on dry linings I'm not sure how I am going to hide any cables behind the them as I doubt I will have any space between the dry lining and the breeze blocks they are stuck to?

Mounting issues corrected, someone who knew what they were doing has sorted it. Wires all now hidden, TV pushed back and clicked into place on the wall mount. At last!

Just need to wait for the filler to set now from the old hole and then will sand and paint.

Need to decide if I want to put the Philips Hue Light Strip back around as well. I will try and see how it looks, as honestly never used it much on the previous TV, but then again the surround was a lot darker, the paint is lighter this time so may look better.

The TV is still amazing me every single day, it even gained acknowledgement from the other half who agreed it looked a lot better - that means it looks a LOT better than the E6!

HDMI ARC issue is now sorted as well so the Sonos Beam connects properly. Had to try about 4 different HDMI cables, I thought it was a firmware bug, but thought I would try one last cable...worked immediately. All other cables and Sonos worked fine on the E6. Strange, but at least it is working now.

The sound on the GX is better than the E6, but it is just "TV Sound" so no way could I use it as my main sound source. Happy with the Sonos.

Still no regrets, absolutely amazing TV!

Mounting issues corrected, someone who knew what they were doing has sorted it. Wires all now hidden, TV pushed back and clicked into place on the wall mount. At last!

Just need to wait for the filler to set now from the old hole and then will sand and paint.

Need to decide if I want to put the Philips Hue Light Strip back around as well. I will try and see how it looks, as honestly never used it much on the previous TV, but then again the surround was a lot darker, the paint is lighter this time so may look better.

The TV is still amazing me every single day, it even gained acknowledgement from the other half who agreed it looked a lot better - that means it looks a LOT better than the E6!

HDMI ARC issue is now sorted as well so the Sonos Beam connects properly. Had to try about 4 different HDMI cables, I thought it was a firmware bug, but thought I would try one last cable...worked immediately. All other cables and Sonos worked fine on the E6. Strange, but at least it is working now.

The sound on the GX is better than the E6, but it is just "TV Sound" so no way could I use it as my main sound source. Happy with the Sonos.

Glad that you have managed to get it all sorted HDMI ARC issue seems weird.

I am extremely jealous! Any chance of some more pics?

I am extremely jealous! Any chance of some more pics?

Of course!

Next steps - touch up the paint again and then need a thin slice of plaster board to go on the right hand side.

the original cowboys work meant we couldn't move the bracket a touch to the right, because of where the holes were, so rather than have to re-do a lot of work, agreed best to put a thin slice of plaster board down the right to make the gap equal again on the left and right.

I really with these original guys never went anywhere near it! If only they used the INCLUDED template for the bracket, they would have got it perfect. Crazy!

Going to run this for a while yet until I can get it calibrated and then have it done to unleash its true potential. As it stands, even out of the box, it blows my calibrated E6 away. Love it, worth every penny!

Attachments

• IMG_7105.JPG
    IMG_7105.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 914
  • IMG_5474.JPG
    IMG_5474.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 858
Looks fantastic, thanks for posting. It's really good to hear that you are already seeing obvious improvements over your previous calibrated TV, even though the GX is only just out of the box. Your panel will likely improve a bit more, just by being "run in" for a few weeks. I think you mentioned you will be getting this one calibrated too? I had my current B8 calibrated by SK (not sure we are allowed to quote his name on here!) and it too looked great out of the box. When he had finished calibrating, I reckon it improved PQ by 20/30%. I spoke to him about my planned upgrade to CX/C9 and he reckons it will be a big step up from B8. I will definitely be getting him out to do my new TV once lock is over.

Looks fantastic, thanks for posting. It's really good to hear that you are already seeing obvious improvements over your previous calibrated TV, even though the GX is only just out of the box. Your panel will likely improve a bit more, just by being "run in" for a few weeks. I think you mentioned you will be getting this one calibrated too? I had my current B8 calibrated by SK (not sure we are allowed to quote his name on here!) and it too looked great out of the box. When he had finished calibrating, I reckon it improved PQ by 20/30%. I spoke to him about my planned upgrade to CX/C9 and he reckons it will be a big step up from B8. I will definitely be getting him out to do my new TV once lock is over.

Same person done my E6 a few years ago. Couldn't have been happier with it. Likewise here too, as soon as he is allowed I will have him back to do this one.

So happy with the purchase, the fact the Mrs has commented means it is an obvious upgrade, otherwise I would have got "it's no different"

Same person done my E6 a few years ago. Couldn't have been happier with it. Likewise here too, as soon as he is allowed I will have him back to do this one.

So happy with the purchase, the fact the Mrs has commented means it is an obvious upgrade, otherwise I would have got "it's no different"

Perfect for watching the new series of 'Sunderland 'Til I Die'! :)

It's gripping viewing. Like a train wreck in slow motion. I genuinely feel for Sunderland fans!

I've never known anything else, wasn't even born the last time we won anything. So kind of used to it haha.

I really enjoyed both of the Sunderland series. For some reason, the same type of documentary series featuring Leeds was nowhere near as good. The one on Man City though, I only managed one episode. It just seemed to be one massive PR exercise!

I've never known anything else, wasn't even born the last time we won anything. So kind of used to it haha.

I can remember watching one of my earliest F.A. Cup finals on TV (when they used to matter!) as a youngster. Sunderland beating the then mighty Leeds. That double size by Montgomery was amazing.

I can remember watching one of my earliest F.A. Cup finals on TV (when they used to matter!) as a youngster. Sunderland beating the then mighty Leeds. That double size by Montgomery was amazing.

That was the last time we won a major trophy! Scary eh... I have never known success, I have to watch that if I want to see what it felt like haha.

May watch that final as well actually, relive the glory day (notice no S on the end haha) and see how it looks on the GX. Maybe it will make THAT goal look even better :)

I’m struggling to find a good installer close enough to Oxford who can wall mount my new TV.

If anyone has used someone that is close to Oxford I’d be great full for the recommendation.

Thanks

I have a 65 coming on Monday. I also have a recess in my wall originally for a 55 TV which I'm going to DIY into a recessed box for the cables etc. I'm installing new timber studs with new plasterboard and will be doing the wall mounting myself. Will post updates and perhaps a timelapse.

I’m struggling to find a good installer close enough to Oxford who can wall mount my new TV.

If anyone has used someone that is close to Oxford I’d be great full for the recommendation.

Thanks

Did you manage to get sorted in the end?

I have a 65 coming on Monday. I also have a recess in my wall originally for a 55 TV which I'm going to DIY into a recessed box for the cables etc. I'm installing new timber studs with new plasterboard and will be doing the wall mounting myself. Will post updates and perhaps a timelapse.

Nice one! You will love the TV, absolutely amazing!

OK,after an hour of swearing at my nice new TV does anyone know how to enable automated listening and how to get it to train to your voice. I am constantly getting 'voice not recognised' messages. It might pick up one word in a sentence and it only works when I am pushing the button on the remote. Tearing out what little hair I have left. Huge thanks for any advice.

OK,after an hour of swearing at my nice new TV does anyone know how to enable automated listening and how to get it to train to your voice. I am constantly getting 'voice not recognised' messages. It might pick up one word in a sentence and it only works when I am pushing the button on the remote. Tearing out what little hair I have left. Huge thanks for any advice.

I haven't tried it I must admit, however I have had the annoying voice not recognised a few times. I suspect automatic listening is enabled by default, as I don't recall enabling it.

I will give it a whirl in a sec once Mrs has finished watching Britains Got talent haha

I haven't tried it I must admit, however I have had the annoying voice not recognised a few times. I suspect automatic listening is enabled by default, as I don't recall enabling it.

I will give it a whirl in a sec once Mrs has finished watching Britains Got talent haha

Thanks, hugely appreciate it :)

Just had a try, it seems to be enabled by default indeed. Hey LG brings it up SOMEtimes, mainly not. If I press and hold the voice button it activates it but the recognition is atrocious!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom