LG OLED Perfect Setup advice

tbracher

Novice Member
Reaction score
Guys / Gals, forgive me, its been a while since I got anew TV. Also I am a perfectionist and just want to be sure I'm doing things right.

Received this week.. LG 55GX (2020). Wow.

I have a very tricky wall mounted situation where its a struggle to pass through wires, I can get maybe a few HDMI's (thin ones) through.. But I will follow your advice and make happen.. and if I can't then will go to a plan B.. I think I can get at the moment 4x think HDMI cables or 2 'regular' gauge.

WHAT I AM LOOKING TO DO:

I want to use the LG remote... keep it simple. Have no extra BS in the setup, and leverage the LG OS as much as possible. Ideally not have to jump out of the OS an into any work arounds.

I also want to take full advantage of the best sound and 4K I can get from the device.. so being sure my cables, and setup are allowing this to happen and futureproof as much as possible.

WHAT I HAVE AND NEED TO CONNECT:
  • LG 55GC
  • Apple Tv (4k) (I use the apple photos and music.. so the in LG app is nice, but when I want to use apple music I assume I need to go to that external input)
  • AVR (Marantz 5013)
  • Verizon Fios One Box (Cable TV)
  • Nintendo Switch (I never use but want to have room for a game console and not have to go into the wall in the future)
  • HDMI cables: Monoprice HDMI High Speed Active Cable - 10 Feet - Black, 4K@60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 36AWG, YUV 4:4:4 - Ultra Slim Active Series
  • a 5.1 Speaker setup, I don't plan on moving to a 7.1, I don't have the space.
QUESTIONS:

1. Is the best plan to direct connect ALL devices to the LG TV with an ARC signal back to the AVR? (I can then control all the volumes of all devices and and the LG remote behaves as a true universal remote?)
  2. Right now I have ONLY the ARC Hdmi connected and my devices to the AVR, this means I need to goto inputs and it also means the LG remote does not control the devices.. and I can't change TV channels on the LG remote.
  3. I love the LG TV Guide over the verizon guide. Changing channels does not work a the moment. Do I need to connect the LG remote to the verizon box? or does it on its own communicate through the HDMI?
  4. Do I have the right cables above? Know that I need to use thin.. I don't have a choice.
  5. Do I need to use an optical cable?
  6. Do I need to use the CEC setups? On which devices?
  7. My fear is to make the entire reworking of wires and end up with somewhat the same result, or trade for other headaches I did not expect. I mean I love not needing to switch to the inputs menu to play a game let's say.. but as I understand it, it makes ZERO difference to do that vs being directly connected,. is that true? So maybe I simply direct connect the Cable Box AND on ARC the AVR... and that's it? And then pipe all else through the AVR?? Or since I use the Apple TV music often.. direct connect all except the game, and then just switch to the game input on the occasion I want to game? This is what I mean.. why connect all directly, vs some.. vs only the AVR?
ADVICE:

Any suggestions for me.. ideal setups, changes? Anything to make my life WAY easier? LG of course says to plug all directly to the TV.. Marantz says in the AVR... so I am confused to the best path and need your advice!

Thank you in advance!!

TB :clap:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Any suggestions for me.. ideal setups, changes? Anything to make my life WAY easier? LG of course says to plug all directly to the TV.. Marantz says in the AVR... so I am confused to the best path and need your advice!

Thank you in advance!!

TB :clap:
I have a similar setup, but I have my Verizon cable box connected to my AV 7.2 receiver. I don’t always use the receiver, just pass through Verizon. I use a Harmony universal remote. I’m curious to see the responses here.

I have a similar setup, but I have my Verizon cable box connected to my AV 7.2 receiver. I don’t always use the receiver, just pass through Verizon. I use a Harmony universal remote. I’m curious to see the responses here.
Not much or a response here... :)

On your setup.. do you use the LG guide interface? Its really nicer that the Verzion one, but with my harmony remote (wanting not to use it) it takes me to the verizon guide.. not sure if you are as OCD as me. :facepalm:

Not much or a response here... :)

On your setup.. do you use the LG guide interface? Its really nicer that the Verzion one, but with my harmony remote (wanting not to use it) it takes me to the verizon guide.. not sure if you are as OCD as me. :facepalm:

I use the Verizon channel guide. I thought that the LG guide was only for over the air channels. By the way, I’m reasonably OCD too 😁. I’m not aware of anything saying that this is a UK only forum.

I use the Verizon channel guide. I thought that the LG guide was only for over the air channels. By the way, I’m reasonably OCD too 😁. I’m not aware of anything saying that this is a UK only forum.

The LG guide is really nice and clean with no adverts, faster, totally customizable.. so I personally really like it. Only works with my LG remote if I have line of site to the Verizon (one) box... which I have in a cabinet so not ideal. If I can control to work through the HDMI / as wifi or not IR way, I would be really happy.

We are a UK based forum, but there are people from all over the world on here, also Afaik most if not all of the LG OLED models are the same over here as elsewhere, but we do not have Verizon, you just carry on :)

We are a UK based forum, but there are people from all over the world on here, also Afaik most if not all of the LG OLED models are the same over here as elsewhere, but we do not have Verizon, you just carry on :)

I appreciate not having Verizon. it’s probably not critical to the discussion... it’s more abouta recommended setup that takes advantage of the built on features of the TV and it’s magic remote. Direct connecting vs through the AVR for example. And not wanting to use a harmony remote but specifically the magic remote.
Does it make and sense to direct connect cable box with the TV And the AVR as ARC and all other external boxes to connect to AVR? Is there any advantage is such a setup?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom